RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
HELL, I don't know. What I do know is I have a hot running Eco that is losing coolant and none is visible outside of the truck. I hope the extended recall warranty covers this. In my mid 70's, I surely did not want to buy another truck since this one has been great.

·
Super Moderator
3,787 Posts
Just add distilled water to get it back to the dealership for another EGR cooler under warranty. Again if you have a tune you can also have the EGR cooler deleted such as with the link I provided. I did the first EGR cooler delete myself PITA! When that motor failed the dealership that did the R&R transferred my EGR cooler delete over to the new engine.

Edit. Rock hard upper hose needs to be replaced. Usually not a problem yet heat must have cooked it. Have them look for a cause. If you haven’t a had a tune to turn off EGR you could have a plugged intake that would be a fire risk. Hot EGR gasses into a plugged intake can burn through the plastic intake and antifreeze can burn so.. Get onto checking this out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My truck was fine until 62,000mi. The EGR did what these EcoDiesel EGR's are known for I was suddenly down about 3/4 of a gallon. I limped it to the stealership stopping to add coolant along the way (about another gallon). I had the VB1 recall done. A few months later I started moving across the country (did about 15,000mi towing back and forth) and was slowly adding coolant during the process (about 3/4 gallon in all). Got to Texas and got deleted and tuned ASAP around 92,000 and have not filled up since (I'm now at 105,000mi).

I know my experience is not what everyone experiences with these trucks, but that was mine so I endorse deleting and tuning 100%. Not to mention the performance improvements.
What tune did you use

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
For some reason, I guess my thread is showing up as 2 people. I am "yellowjacket" and also showing up as "J". I am the same person with the overheating and yes I have had the new EGR done under the recall. I guess I will just add some coolant and drive it and see what happens.
Hi: jdoiron... Sounds to me like there's an "Identity crisis" as well as a coolant one!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
146 Posts
HELL, I don't know. What I do know is I have a hot running Eco that is losing coolant and none is visible outside of the truck. I hope the extended recall warranty covers this. In my mid 70's, I surely did not want to buy another truck since this one has been great.
Hi jdoiron,
Please know, recall repairs have a two year warranty. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you need any assistance regarding your recall.

Rob
Ram Cares

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Rob
I have made an appointment to drop the truck off at the Ram dealer in Baton Rouge this weekend. We will see what they say.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks Rob
I have made an appointment to drop the truck off at the Ram dealer in Baton Rouge this weekend. We will see what they say.
Sounds great. Feel free to keep us updated.

Rob
Ram Cares

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I have driven the truck over the past 3 days (120 miles) and the coolant level is staying at the full mark. I really don't know how long it took for the coolant tank to get so low (1 1/2 gallons) when I got the HOT temperature reading earlier. I hope when I bring the truck to the dealer this weekend, they will get me a satisfactory answer on where the coolant went.

·
Registered
2017 Laramie eco HD Diesel Supply tuned and stage 2 deleted at 30k.
168 Posts
You need to pull you’re EGR tube asap. If it’s wet and soggy the egr is leaking into the intake manifold and being sent out the exhaust and pounded into your oil through the rings.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts