RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on the Eco Diesel. I currently have a 19 Power Wagon (6.4 Gas) and have had a 14 Sport and a 16 Express, and I have a 09 Challenger RT.
Thinking of dropping my PW and the dealer has a 14 Eco Diesel with 200k (in canada so Km not miles). Any thoughts on this. I tow a bit. I have an enclosed double axle and a 14 foot double axle dumper. But I’m looking for something with better fuel economy for a new longer drive to work and I don’t want a commuter car. I just can’t do it.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,206 Posts
IMHO you will find it to be an expensive decision. Whatever you save in fuel cost over your current 6.4 will more than likely be consumed in repair expenses. Then add in the inconveniences and stress?

Reactions: malibubts and KRom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMHO you will find it to be an expensive decision. Whatever you save in fuel cost over your current 6.4 will more than likely be consumed in repair expenses. Then add in the inconveniences and stress?
Really eh! Thx for the reply

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I would start with the information on the truck, have the dealer make available to you the full service history of the truck. Knowledge is key this being a first gen 1/2 ton diesel some of these trucks had owners who do not understand diesels. That said there were some issues:

1. EGR replacement : This was factory recall replaced w/new designed part
2. EPA detune: This is corrected with a superior tune with MPG / HP upgrade from GDE or other vendors on this site.
3. Tone Wheel: This affects models 2014- 2018 but only certain models ext warranty covers service but not $45 wheel.
4. Bosch CP4 potential issue this potentially could be a fail due to use of contaminated fuel or continuous use of high level BioFuel this is also in early gen Cummings.

There are some other reported issues but nothing you won't find on other forums anything mechanical has the potential to fail, you'll also find trucks with over 400k as well. My thoughts are you should never serious consider ANY high mileage truck of ANY engine without knowing the owner period. All trucks with high mileage will experience expensive maintenance and repairs regardless of engine/brand, so unless they are practically giving it away for me not really a consideration.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
14,050 Posts
I had a '14. Remember, that is 7 -8 years old already. If the engine is tuned ( say GDE or the like) the emission problems are gone and it just might be good. For the right price, tuned, good body after all those Canadian winter destructions, then it could be a fine performer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would start with the information on the truck, have the dealer make available to you the full service history of the truck. Knowledge is key this being a first gen 1/2 ton diesel some of these trucks had owners who do not understand diesels. That said there were some issues:

1. EGR replacement : This was factory recall replaced w/new designed part
2. EPA detune: This is corrected with a superior tune with MPG / HP upgrade from GDE or other vendors on this site.
3. Tone Wheel: This affects models 2014- 2018 but only certain models ext warranty covers service but not $45 wheel.
4. Bosch CP4 potential issue this potentially could be a fail due to use of contaminated fuel or continuous use of high level BioFuel this is also in early gen Cummings.

There are some other reported issues but nothing you won't find on other forums anything mechanical has the potential to fail, you'll also find trucks with over 400k as well. My thoughts are you should never serious consider ANY high mileage truck of ANY engine without knowing the owner period. All trucks with high mileage will experience expensive maintenance and repairs regardless of engine/brand, so unless they are practically giving it away for me not really a consideration.

Good Luck
Thx. Just requiested it they are asking $18k. As is. Seems like a decent deal. I love the PW but it’s just killing me on fuel. I bought a pulsar tuner but I haven’t put it in yet. Anyone know if that would make a huge difference on a 6.4 gasser?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx. Just requiested it they are asking $18k. As is. Seems like a decent deal. I love the PW but it’s just killing me on fuel. I bought a pulsar tuner but I haven’t put it in yet. Anyone know if that would make a huge difference on a 6.4 gasser?
So that was quick. Just got the car fax on it and all it really shows is regular no outstanding recalls, regularly oil sprayed, and oil changes with def flushes. One owner.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Test drive it before you get too sidetracked on the MPGs. The ecodiesel is not a go-getter as far as pep off the line like your 6.4. I know it would be a huge jump in price, but if you're hauling trailers more than once a week I would go with a cummins.

I don't haul that much anymore, hence me "downsizing" to 1/2-ton. However, I wish I had kept my duramax or went with a Cummins. My first step was with a JGC eco-D pre-EPA. Now I can barely stand the JGC (tuned with SKT) & the ram (w/GDE ECM) is pretty much a booger I can't get off my finger...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Test drive it before you get too sidetracked on the MPGs. The ecodiesel is not a go-getter as far as pep off the line like your 6.4. I know it would be a huge jump in price, but if you're hauling trailers more than once a week I would go with a cummins.

I don't haul that much anymore, hence me "downsizing" to 1/2-ton. However, I wish I had kept my duramax or went with a Cummins. My first step was with a JGC eco-D pre-EPA. Now I can barely stand the JGC (tuned with SKT) & the ram (w/GDE ECM) is pretty much a booger I can't get off my finger...
I don’t even haul once a week. I would prolly tune it. Indo love the pep of the 6.4, but I have a Challenger for speed lol. I don’t think a Cummins would do it for me. Too much, like the 6.4. I need it less now. My main thought is mpg on this and hauling secondly. I heard many people say it’s a slow go, so I wasn’t expecting it to blast off the line.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
18k cad seems a quite high but in the chip shortage era everything is overpriced. Coming from a Hemi in my personal experience, the EcoD has saved me so much $$$ but that is based on how I use it, which is occasional heavy towing and more frequent medium towing that's where she really shines and of course those long stretches of road where hours pass by and you pass fuel stations because you can. I NEVER could do that with the Hemi and in bad traffic the fuel costs were like another truck payment.

Like I said everyone's needs and usage is different, you just have to determine if its the right fit and if so maybe consider investing in a newer lower mileage truck that brings less uncertainty.

Good Luck,

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
18k cad seems a quite high but in the chip shortage era everything is overpriced. Coming from a Hemi in my personal experience, the EcoD has saved me so much $$$ but that is based on how I use it, which is occasional heavy towing and more frequent medium towing that's where she really shines and of course those long stretches of road where hours pass by and you pass fuel stations because you can. I NEVER could do that with the Hemi and in bad traffic the fuel costs were like another truck payment.

Like I said everyone's needs and usage is different, you just have to determine if its the right fit and if so maybe consider investing in a newer lower mileage truck that brings less uncertainty.

Good Luck,
Thx Texas Joe. It seems like our uses are similar. I found another 14 but with a Gen 2 motor installed in 2020 through warranty work.
It is more but keep in mind Cdn dollars vs USD.
Trucks in canada right now are crazy high.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have a 2016 Limited bought new and now has 252,000kms. Very similar use for a long commute and I have identical trailers to yours. Only issues I've had was EGR cooler failed when the truck was 14 months old but out of the 60k km emissions warranty. I removed it and GDE tuned immediately. Then this summer the in tank Lift pump died.
It has not been to a dealer since the first oil change and only recall performed has been the tailgate latch. The truck is awesome. Rides great, 30 mpg, all the comforts and Ill be keeping this one for a long, long time. FCA Canada sucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a 2016 Limited bought new and now has 252,000kms. Very similar use for a long commute and I have identical trailers to yours. Only issues I've had was EGR cooler failed when the truck was 14 months old but out of the 60k km emissions warranty. I removed it and GDE tuned immediately. Then this summer the in tank Lift pump died.
It has not been to a dealer since the first oil change and only recall performed has been the tailgate latch. The truck is awesome. Rides great, 30 mpg, all the comforts and Ill be keeping this one for a long, long time. FCA Canada sucks.
Nice. Thx fir the awesome feefback

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Drive the Ecodiesel, see if the cruise control works at 15 - 20 mph. If it does , bingo, it is tuned. My 2017 has 120,000 miles/ 200,000 km and has been outstanding, but it was tuned at 5,000 mi. Even tuned, expect some turbo lag. I dynoed my Ecodiesel after the GDE tune = about 240 rwhp and 420 rw tq on a Mustang dyno, btw. None of my hemi Rams cam close to those torque numbers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love my 2014 with 150k. Gde tune is a must. I agree with another’s comments that it shines on the highway and medium towing. I tow a 4000lb trailer a few times a month and I never know it’s there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for some advice on the Eco Diesel. I currently have a 19 Power Wagon (6.4 Gas) and have had a 14 Sport and a 16 Express, and I have a 09 Challenger RT.
Thinking of dropping my PW and the dealer has a 14 Eco Diesel with 200k (in canada so Km not miles). Any thoughts on this. I tow a bit. I have an enclosed double axle and a 14 foot double axle dumper. But I’m looking for something with better fuel economy for a new longer drive to work and I don’t want a commuter car. I just can’t do it.
Run as far away as you can. Will be a money pit. Just unloaded $4000 on replacing turbo, EGR valve and boost pressure sensor. And this is after 3 trips to shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Run as far away as you can. Will be a money pit. Just unloaded $4000 on replacing turbo, EGR valve and boost pressure sensor. And this is after 3 trips to shop.
My engine only had 126000 on it and it was a Canada truck and I don’t pull anything. Bought for gas mileage. Big mistake

1 - 20 of 22 Posts