RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 2WD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 EcoDiesel fully deleted, with a Stage 2 tune from SFT. I had been running the tune for a few months before this started happening. My issue started a few months ago and then disappeared for about a month and now it’s back. The low voltage warning happens one time every trip, about 6 minutes into my drive. The system will be running at right about 14V and then the truck will jerk and my voltages will drop to 12.5ish then it will charge back up in just a few seconds. It won’t ever happen more than once in a drive unless I turn the truck off and back on. It isn’t affected by bumps or temperature. I have replaced my battery and had my alternator tested. I have checked all my main wiring connections and they are all tight. I have contacted my tuning company and they said it sounded like a battery issue, and that no one had reported anything like this using their tune. I had the battery swapped out, and the low voltage issue persists. No codes are thrown when this happens, and my most recent issue was when I decided to try and record my voltages through the torque app to have a screen record of it dropping, it decided it wasn’t going to give me the low voltage warning but instead further into my drive I got the service shifter warning and the traction control light came on, the truck was also having issues shifting through 2 of my gears. No codes were stored for this either. After turning the truck off and back on twice, It wasn’t an issue anymore and the truck drives fine again but the low voltage warning issue returned. I have seen one other post that mimics my low voltage issue almost exactly and the dealership had to replace their ECU as the emissions flash had somehow ruined it. I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions before I put it in the shop or possibly try and replace the ECU.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,586 Posts
Underneath your truck on the drivers front left seat, is a big plug. Check that and make sure all is tight and well.

Next, start looking at every single battery cable positive and negative, there are many, and start looking for a loose connection.

This is of course just the beginning. But intermittent electrical issues and loose connections are companions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Underneath your truck on the drivers front left seat, is a big plug. Check that and make sure all is tight and well.

Next, start looking at every single battery cable positive and negative, there are many, and start looking for a loose connection.

This is of course just the beginning. But intermittent electrical issues and loose connections are companions.
Thanks for the reply, I checked that large connector after I had the service shifter and transmission issues, everything seemed intact other than the cover on one side was slid back a bit but there didn’t seem to be any corrosion or frayed wires. I’ll do my best to follow the wiring as far as I can.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,566 Posts
If it's only happening once a drive cycle, I'd be looking at the tune. If it was something mechanical the problem would occur more than once a drive cycle.

Someone refresh my memory about the SFT remote start (or lack there of) issue that has been reported on the forum a couple of times. If I remember correctly some of the members with the problem were told the same BS that no one else had reported the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's only happening once a drive cycle, I'd be looking at the tune. If it was something mechanical the problem would occur more than once a drive cycle.

Someone refresh my memory about the SFT remote start (or lack there of) issue that has been reported on the forum a couple of times. If I remember correctly some of the members with the problem were told the same BS that no one else had reported the problem.
That was my initial thought of it being tune/computer related as it is not sporadic or random. It is within the first few minutes of my drive every day, and won’t happen again without shutting the truck off and back on. I can almost pin point when it will happen on my drive as it happens almost in the same distance/time every drive from my house or work. I finally caught it on my OBDII reader this afternoon. Doesn’t seem that I can upload the video file on here so I’ll try to upload it somewhere and share the link.
Edit: Uploaded video to Vimeo of the voltage drop on the Torque app.

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
There is a battery save mode in the ecm programming to optimize something which gde used to disable maybe skt tweaks that somehow there tunes are like mystery meat you never know what your getting. You could request they tweak that to optimize battery charging.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a battery save mode in the ecm programming to optimize something which gde used to disable maybe skt tweaks that somehow there tunes are like mystery meat you never know what your getting. You could request they tweak that to optimize battery charging.
My old battery was running at around 13.9V and this new one stays around 13.3V not sure why but I’ll definitely contact them and see what they say now that I replaced my battery and see if maybe they can boost the voltage up a bit like you are saying. I am leaning heavily towards a computer issue with this as its just so consistent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Contacted SKT today, told them the issue is still there after a battery swap, they kind of just brushed it off and said they couldn’t offer any assistance, and seem convinced their tune won’t cause any issues. Asked about tweaking the battery voltage and boosting it up a bit maybe, said they couldn’t. Also asked if they had the ability to flash a new ecu for me to get a stock tune with my trucks vin and stuff on it, they said they also couldn’t do that. I feel like maybe they aren’t in the tuning business and just sell a program.

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
Contacted SKT today, told them the issue is still there after a battery swap, they kind of just brushed it off and said they couldn’t offer any assistance, and seem convinced their tune won’t cause any issues. Asked about tweaking the battery voltage and boosting it up a bit maybe, said they couldn’t. Also asked if they had the ability to flash a new ecu for me to get a stock tune with my trucks vin and stuff on it, they said they also couldn’t do that. I feel like maybe they aren’t in the tuning business and just sell a program.
They dont tune in house they resell tunes from optimal remap overseas. They could contact optimal for help but probably wont.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They dont tune in house they resell tunes from optimal remap overseas. They could contact optimal for help but probably wont.
Sounds very similar to symptom I was having. Had SFK return to stock for a trip to the dealer and then back to Stage one after. No issue since. I 'think' it started right after a previous tune to stage one, so sure seems like tune was related. That said it was in the winter when it was cold so maybe summer and heat is different? I would try returning to stock and then retuning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Sounds very similar to symptom I was having. Had SFK return to stock for a trip to the dealer and then back to Stage one after. No issue since. I 'think' it started right after a previous tune to stage one, so sure seems like tune was related. That said it was in the winter when it was cold so maybe summer and heat is different? I would try returning to stock and then retuning.
Interesting. This issue first showed up last winter when it was colder here, cold here is lowest of 20F but some mornings it would have the same low voltage issue. It happened the same way, very short into the drive and only once but it didn’t stay for long and was gone after a few days, didn’t return until about 2 months ago. But I want to say I didn’t have the low voltage issue until a month or so into having it stage 1 tuned, I went to stage 2 earlier this year, and the issue came a little while after. The problem with going back to stock is I currently have stage 2 so I have delete pipes on, I have all the oem equipment intact so I could always put it back on and return to a stock tune. Just trying to see if I find a solution before I take that step. Funny how they told me no one else with the tune had ever reported an issue like mine.

Edit: I don’t see why I couldn’t flash the stock file as long as I don’t turn the truck on, there shouldn’t be any adverse effect, then I’ll flash the stage 2 back on. I’ll give it a try and report back.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
i would start with alternator. Check that the wire is tight on both the batt side and alternator side. I've had issues where a cold car will exhibit electrical symptoms once then once its warm, it stops. disconnect the negative terminal and take a wrench to the alternator lug. make sure its snug.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
i would start with alternator. Check that the wire is tight on both the batt side and alternator side. I've had issues where a cold car will exhibit electrical symptoms once then once its warm, it stops. disconnect the negative terminal and take a wrench to the alternator lug. make sure its snug.
I should clarify i did not have this on my ram but other vehicles. However i would not be shocked if yours may be a bit loose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Any update on this?
I had ordered a more advanced OBD2 scanner that came in today, and it finally found error codes as my other one would not. A lot of ECM/TCM lost communication errors.I do have a TPMS sensor out so that isn’t any concern but the ECM and TCM errors are what is throwing the voltage issue I believe. I found a very similar issue on another form but didn’t want to just assume it was related without doing my due diligence of checking wires and stuff first. Not sure what the rule is of posting another forum but I’ll try it just to pass the info along. 2015 Ecodiesel Low Voltage

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
I would suggest disconnecting, then reseating your ecm plugs. Then clear the codes and try again. Make sure there is no moisture in those plugs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would suggest disconnecting, then reseating your ecm plugs. Then clear the codes and try again. Make sure there is no moisture in those plugs
Reseated the plugs, they were dry and still looked pristine, same for the ecm ports. Cleared my codes afterwards and took it for a drive, same issue. Scanned for codes again, I’ll post the screenshot. I have aftermarket headlights with led running lights so I’m assuming that’s what the side marker errors are for, not really sure as I thought they had the proper hardware to avoid error codes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts