RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,
New to the Site and had a quick question I would like some insight on if i should buy a 2014 Eco Diesel with 114K miles?? I don't know anything about the eco diesels at all. I'm very familiar with cars and trucks I know how to fix a good amount of problems at home.
I heard a lot of good and bad things PLEASE HELP i would need to buy today for i feel like it will be gone ASAP judging off of all the other truck go in about 24HR.

Thank you
Sean

·
Registered
571 Posts
If I am reading it right, it's had ALL recalls performed.

Have you test drove it?

It is obviously out of warranty so it's a gamble but it's past the typical mileage where the engine fails. If you do buy it I would get an engine/transmission tune from GDE to prolong the life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Have you test drove it?

It is obviously out of warranty so it's a gamble but it's past the typical mileage where the engine fails. If you do buy it I would get an engine/transmission tune from GDE to prolong the life.

Im going this afternoon to test drive it is there anything specific i should look for while test driving it??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Have you test drove it?

Is there any way to tell if it was already tuned? while test driving it?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Im going this afternoon to test drive it is there anything specific i should look for while test driving it??
Make sure the coolant tank is at the proper level with clean coolant. Obviously make sure it runs good, shifts smooth, etc.

You can try setting the cruise control at 15 mph, if it lets you set it going 15 mph it has a tune. I would suspect it doesn't since it's had all recalls but you never know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sure the coolant tank is at the proper level with clean coolant. Obviously make sure it runs good, shifts smooth, etc.

You can try setting the cruise control at 15 mph, if it lets you set it going 15 mph it has a tune. I would suspect it doesn't since it's had all recalls but you never know.
Thanks so much for you help i will let you know if i buy it this afternoon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good Morning,
New to the Site and had a quick question I would like some insight on if i should buy a 2014 Eco Diesel with 114K miles?? I don't know anything about the eco diesels at all. I'm very familiar with cars and trucks I know how to fix a good amount of problems at home.
I heard a lot of good and bad things PLEASE HELP i would need to buy today for i feel like it will be gone ASAP judging off of all the other truck go in about 24HR.

Thank you
Sean
I’ve had my 2015 for 3 months and it’s spent 7 weeks total in the shop. Got it back on the 8th and today it sprang another check engine code.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a 2014 w/ 113k miles. no issues that a GDE tune couldn't fix. If you do pull the trigger, get your tune from HD diesel supply in Canada. Do some research, you will find out why, or PM me. My Eco has been a great truck. The emissions recall extends the engine warranty until 120k? Hey I could be wrong I wont let those jokers touch my truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 w/ 113k miles. no issues that a GDE tune couldn't fix. If you do pull the trigger, get your tune from HD diesel supply in Canada. Do some research, you will find out why, or PM me. My Eco has been a great truck. The emissions recall extends the engine warranty until 120k? Hey I could be wrong I wont let those jokers touch my truck.
It help with any issues you’ve had? I just had it in the shop 9/12-10/7 and I just got another check engine code. I’m tired of it sitting in the shop while I’m making payments to not drive it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Cruise control as stated, look for dirt/dust in air filter box (severe duty), timing chain cover with gross oil leak, coolant as discussed.

Verification of 'AEM Flash' and/or post flash warranty info. FCA should have this info by VIN. It's due for a transmission fluid change $500-800 depending on fluid, and coolant this side of 150k.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I recently bought a 2016 new to me after my 2014 was written off. I bought my 2016 replacement from a dealership so I asked for the complete service history of the truck from the day it was received by the dealer brand new which they provided. I asked for the carfax report and also asked for the previous owners phone number which the dealer provided. 1st look at the RAM service history for a reasonably good service history through out warranty and afterwards not trip after trip to the dealers shop for leaks and multiple issues. My 2014 was trouble free for 173,000 kilometers GDE tuned from 130,000 kms never used a drop of oil or antifreeze. My 2016 has a great clean service history uses zero oil it needs a tune but so far so good. I would recommend going on the HotShot Secret program for longevity and reduced odds of problems.

·
Registered
13,715 Posts
I think it is over priced.

Did see that "book" report of the value but that sure is different than 13 months ago when I got rid of my 2014 Ecodiesel. It also had the same mileage, was GDE tuned, had a super fiberglass cap and was the cleanest of the clean. The book was way less last year than what that ad says today. Maybe as they get older they get more expensive?

Look at the history closely. See if it is tuned. If there is even a hint of EGR issues and coolant loss, walk away. To have one out of warranty ( and even in warranty as some problem parts are not readily available) is a problem if left stock and not tuned. When they run they sure are super. Still, check closely and read around this forum so you know what to look for.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It help with any issues you’ve had? I just had it in the shop 9/12-10/7 and I just got another check engine code. I’m tired of it sitting in the shop while I’m making payments to not drive it.
get the codes that it is throwing and bring back here. we have probably seen it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts