RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2014, Ram 1500 Eco-diesel, Longhorn Edition, Crew Cab, 4x4.
22 Posts
I bought my 2014 Longhorn Edition, crew cab, 4x4, ED a couple of months ago with 101K on the ticker. I am the second owner, picked mine up for just over $20k but added a 48K extended power train warranty which pushed the price up another $3k. So far I love the truck the only downside to it that I have been able to find is the dead spot in the throttle response.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good Morning,
New to the Site and had a quick question I would like some insight on if i should buy a 2014 Eco Diesel with 114K miles?? I don't know anything about the eco diesels at all. I'm very familiar with cars and trucks I know how to fix a good amount of problems at home.
I heard a lot of good and bad things PLEASE HELP i would need to buy today for i feel like it will be gone ASAP judging off of all the other truck go in about 24HR.

Thank you
Sean
Does it it have air suspension. This can be an issue that requires a bit of patience and cash to solve. You would be the 5th owner - there is always a reason to sell. That is not always a big deal but you need to be aware that something about the truck needs a solution that the previous owners were not willing to resolve.

·
Registered
2016 Ram Ecodiesel Tradesman, Silver
2 Posts
$24k for a 2014 with 100k+ miles seems high. We got our 2016 used (one owner) with 42k miles in June for $23k. Maybe we just got a good deal? Ours is a Tradesman (base level, no frills) but we’ve been happy with it so far.

·
Registered
22 Posts
$24k for a 2014 with 100k+ miles seems high. We got our 2016 used (one owner) with 42k miles in June for $23k. Maybe we just got a good deal? Ours is a Tradesman (base level, no frills) but we’ve been happy with it so far.
Mine is the fully loaded Laramie Longhorn Edition 4x4 with the air ride suspension.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my 2014 Longhorn Edition 4x4 with 100K on the ticker back in August and love the truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Morning,
New to the Site and had a quick question I would like some insight on if i should buy a 2014 Eco Diesel with 114K miles?? I don't know anything about the eco diesels at all. I'm very familiar with cars and trucks I know how to fix a good amount of problems at home.
I heard a lot of good and bad things PLEASE HELP i would need to buy today for i feel like it will be gone ASAP judging off of all the other truck go in about 24HR.

Thank you
Sean
I have a 2014 no big problems

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good Morning,

Thank you
Sean
Make sure everything was deleted first of all and that it has a GDE tune in it.
Otherwise any ED is junk.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do yourself a huge favor stay away from it and get on with a Hemi.
I had a loner 1500 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi and it got 19-20 mpg and tons more power.
My 2016 ED blew up at 34,000 miles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Make sure everything was deleted first of all and that it has a GDE tune in it.
Otherwise any ED is junk.
Yet the majority of ecodiesels sold have run reliably without issues. From your posts I am willing to bet you tried to drive your ecodiesel like a gas powered Hemi.

I also have to wonder if you end up with the cam problem that Hemi's suffer will you also say any Hemi is junk?

I have owned Ram trucks since 1996, with the 5.9 Magnum, 5.2 Magnum, 4.7 liter, 5.9 Cummins, two 5.7 Hemi's, 3.6 Pentastar, 6.4 Hemi and now the 3.0 ecodiesel and all of them have been reliable trucks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do yourself a huge favor stay away from it and get on with a Hemi.
I had a loner 1500 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi and it got 19-20 mpg and tons more power.
My 2016 ED blew up at 34,000 miles.
Good Morning,

Thank you
Sean
My 2005 ED is now at 203,000 km, it has been fabulous. The issues I have run across are:

1) one rear air bag leaking at 140k (replaced it myself.) I have the skills to do this.

2) a surprise rear diff pinion gear failure 160k. Looking at the surfaces it looked like a manufacturing defect - the metal did not get heat treated and hardened properly.

3) an exhaust flange (downstream of the DPF) squeal that started at about 160k. I thought for a long time I had a turbo problem or a boost leak. Finally the gap in the flange mated surface got large enough and it melted the DEF injector, which is when the penny dropped. I drilled out the flange studs and replaced them with quality through bolts along with the DEF injector at 195k. No more false worries about turbo issues or boost leaks.

4).The debate about lifetime transmission fluid. I have had no issues but I changed it at 100k and again at 200k. The biggest pain is the BS that people put on these forums. Hindsight - change it at 80,000km and then every 100,000 km thereafter. Do a triple dump and fill to get the majority of the old fluid out and use Valvoline or other brand that is ZF qualified. Use FCA approved, if you are worried about warranty issues. It is easy and there are aftermarket pan and filters as well.

5) the driver side window and door switch module broke (140k.). An easy, cheap, 5 minute fix - just visit your local wrecker

6) the floor mat and the seat foam on the driver’s side wore down a bit at 130k. The leather is good - just had to replace the foam - about 2 hours work for me. Likely, will put new foam in at 260k.

7) future issues that I see on the horizon 12 to 18 months from now. The intake manifold is getting gummed up. I will be cleaning the intake when the weather warms up a bit. Not an easy task. I wish I had gotten a GDE tune and this would be a none issue. Live and learn.

8). Another future issue is the air spring system. I am replacing parts as required using low mileage wrecks and Arnott parts.

I have owned the truck since new and lifetime for me is 10 to 15 years or 500,000 km. But I will assess that point every 100k kilometres. 500k is the point when every extra 100k is gravy.

If you are looking for more information, there are mechanical details on other postings in this Forum. As the years go by, there seems to be a lot more practical non BS stuff being written by lots of contributors.

·
Registered
2019 Classic Laramie CC
31 Posts
Yet the majority of ecodiesels sold have run reliably without issues. From your posts I am willing to bet you tried to drive your ecodiesel like a gas powered Hemi.

I also have to wonder if you end up with the cam problem that Hemi's suffer will you also say any Hemi is junk?

I have owned Ram trucks since 1996, with the 5.9 Magnum, 5.2 Magnum, 4.7 liter, 5.9 Cummins, two 5.7 Hemi's, 3.6 Pentastar, 6.4 Hemi and now the 3.0 ecodiesel and all of them have been reliable trucks.
You must have got a leftover '19 Classic like I did. Bought mine in July...Classic CC 2wd Laramie. There were some killer deals but most of them are gone I think. Still see a few Tradesman models available. I looked at two used but was just too leery about them. But put the bug in me that I wanted one. Some 2020's are still available at some pretty good prices. I think some of these engine issues owners have had must be related to maintenance and the way they are used. I GDE tuned mine at 800 miles. My thought is that unless I knew for sure how one of these trucks was maintained and driven I would stay away from used, especially if it was out of warranty. Unless you could get a REALLY good deal....The used ones I saw when I was shopping were too high compared to what I got a new one for. So far I have 3500 problem free miles on mine. Best of luck whatever you decide....

21 - 36 of 36 Posts