RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2014 ED, 134K miles. Had the 3rd brake light water leak a few years ago, sorted that out and haven’t had a problem since. Recently got a new work truck and limited my ecodiesel to personal use only. I parked it one Saturday and didn’t get back in it for a week and it smelled like death in there. Found standing water under the back seat. Used buckets of damp rid, Fabreeze, left windows down for a few days, still unpleasant.

finally decided to go all in and buy a small carpet cleaner, pull all the interior out, clean everything and find the leak. Once I got everything clean and dry and de-skunked, started searching for the point of entry for all the water. After a few minutes with the garden hose found the 2 cab vents on the back wall of the cab are the source of my problem. Both are missing several flaps, and the drivers side is warped and cracked on the top seal allowing a ton of water to come in. Trying to track down new ones at the local dealer tomorrow before I order off the interweb but just a heads up if you are experiencing a similar problem. Looking forward to a nice smelling and clean truck again.

·
Registered
13,835 Posts
Major effort on your part to do that and show your skill. Many will thank you.

Now get a garage for the truck and parking is not an issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like you had a lot of work trying to find the issue.
Major effort on your part to do that and show your skill. Many will thank you.

Now get a garage for the truck and parking is not an issue.
To be honest, pulling all the interior out is only 15 or 20 bolts and and some lifting, with a few sockets and trim tools it’s not as bad as it looks.

I tow a lot equipment and trailers at work, my new work truck is a ‘20 ram 3500 DRW with the Cummins. No comparison work wise, but the ED still has a place in my heart. I enjoy the nice ride and mileage it gets for after work needs. It gets better mileage towing my boat than my work truck does empty. It’s paid for, costs me $90 a month to insure, and I think will end up staying around and becoming my daughters first car in another 6 years.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Got 2 new ones from the dealer, they had them in stock for $20-ish each. The vents pop out between the bed and cab, which is at first glance too tight to get them out or your hands in to fish the new ones back into place.

***PRO (maybe)TIP - do one side at a time, use a floor jack under the frame rail and jack the truck up right where the cab and bed come together, just enough to take the weight off the rear tire on that side. The flex in the frame from the trucks own weight gave me another 1/4” or so between the cab and bed and the vents will slide out the bottom. It would be an easy job putting the new ones in with 2 people, one in the truck and one under the truck both guiding the new vent into place, but it’s also doable by yourself with a pry bar or anything else 24” long or so to push the vent far enough up from the bottom. Sprayed it with the hose after the new ones were installed, it’s all sealed up again. Hopefully problem solved.

Part info for new vents:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I want to thank You.
Found water in storage space under rear seat. Thought errant water bottle. Dried it out, two days later its damp again after I used local car wash to clean it good before going to dealer. Leaves and trash between /behind bed and cab. We are wet again. Used photo to order parts. Your hard work is appreciated.
Harold

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to thank You.
Found water in storage space under rear seat. Thought errant water bottle. Dried it out, two days later its damp again after I used local car wash to clean it good before going to dealer. Leaves and trash between /behind bed and cab. We are wet again. Used photo to order parts. Your hard work is appreciated.
Harold
great news, glad you found it. I use this site and others for tips and info all the time, glad I could contribute.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hi: Jared Williamson... The only water I have in my truck is tears from crying over spilt mil lights!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts