RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this same question back in January 2018 and wanted to check back again now that a few more winters have gone by. Rather than surface the old thread, I figured I'd just start a new one. The question remains the same....2014 owners (and others), how are your trucks doing from a corrosion / rust perspective? I live in the Minneapolis area but work from home and only put around 8k miles a year, so I'm not the best example. My truck rarely see's the roads when they are literally a salt bath with salt spray all around. I will say that there is no corrosion on my 2015 ED and both frame and body have fared much better from winter chemicals than my GM trucks ever did.

So what's behind my desire to know how our trucks are doing? I'll soon be in the market for a 1 ton truck and have narrowed it down to either another RAM or a Ford Super Duty. I have this thing about body rust / corrosion and its one of my top priorities. The idea of an aluminum alloy body really attracts me to Ford. I realize that aluminum does corrode, but its much less susceptible and it appears that Ford has done their homework on corrosion avoidance. The downside for a Super Duty is that its longer (overall length) than the RAM 2500 / 3500 and step height is almost 2" taller than RAM. The upside about RAM is current 2015. I've really enjoyed this RAM and its the nicest vehicle I've ever owned.

From what I've read, the new RAM 2500 / 3500 trucks are basically the same body as our Gen 4 trucks with new sheet metal from the A pillar forward. If that's true, I'll have some good history on how a new 2500 / 3500 would perform from a corrosion perspective. Thanks for any input you guys can provide.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I asked this same question back in January 2018 and wanted to check back again now that a few more winters have gone by. Rather than surface the old thread, I figured I'd just start a new one. The question remains the same....2014 owners (and others), how are your trucks doing from a corrosion / rust perspective? I live in the Minneapolis area but work from home and only put around 8k miles a year, so I'm not the best example. My truck rarely see's the roads when they are literally a salt bath with salt spray all around. I will say that there is no corrosion on my 2015 ED and both frame and body have fared much better from winter chemicals than my GM trucks ever did.

So what's behind my desire to know how our trucks are doing? I'll soon be in the market for a 1 ton truck and have narrowed it down to either another RAM or a Ford Super Duty. I have this thing about body rust / corrosion and its one of my top priorities. The idea of an aluminum alloy body really attracts me to Ford. I realize that aluminum does corrode, but its much less susceptible and it appears that Ford has done their homework on corrosion avoidance. The downside for a Super Duty is that its longer (overall length) than the RAM 2500 / 3500 and step height is almost 2" taller than RAM. The upside about RAM is current 2015. I've really enjoyed this RAM and its the nicest vehicle I've ever owned.

From what I've read, the new RAM 2500 / 3500 trucks are basically the same body as our Gen 4 trucks with new sheet metal from the A pillar forward. If that's true, I'll have some good history on how a new 2500 / 3500 would perform from a corrosion perspective. Thanks for any input you guys can provide.

My 2014 1500 Ram Ecodiesel has 103000 miles .No rust what so ever. Green Bay Wisconsin

·
Registered
782 Posts
2015, looks as good as the day I bought it. New Hampshire

·
Registered
12,838 Posts

Think you are right there. From the inside my new 2019 2500 does seem to be the same as my Ecodiesel in basic layout. Obviously the frame and running gear are way, way different but the body panels seem like "old times". The exception would be the hood layout and the grill area in front. They are much like the 2020 Ram Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I bought the lifetime perforation coverage spray at the factory, and I see no rust on body panels, but ..... I get surface rust around openings on my front bumper.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I live and work right in the middle of the rust belt, I also worked for nearly 20 years as a road patrol officer...I made a habit of running the plate of every rusty truck I saw while working, to see how old the truck was. I’ve been off the road patrol for 6 years, so admittedly my data is more than 6 years old, but my data then was: DO NOT BUY A FORD! They rusted out sooner than any vehicle on the road...WAY SOONER! I actually like the looks of a ford, and I’ve always wanted one, but around here they rust so quick I’ve always stuck with GM or Ram. My 2015 Ram has no rust, and neither does my 2009 GMC.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I’m in rusty Ohio and have almost 90k on my 2015. It’s clean. No rust at all. I do spray the undercarriage with fluid film couple times a year though so take that into consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live and work right in the middle of the rust belt, I also worked for nearly 20 years as a road patrol officer...I made a habit of running the plate of every rusty truck I saw while working, to see how old the truck was. I’ve been off the road patrol for 6 years, so admittedly my data is more than 6 years old, but my data then was: DO NOT BUY A FORD! They rusted out sooner than any vehicle on the road...WAY SOONER! I actually like the looks of a ford, and I’ve always wanted one, but around here they rust so quick I’ve always stuck with GM or Ram. My 2015 Ram has no rust, and neither does my 2009 GMC.
Its interesting that your 2009 GMC has no issues yet. I had a 2009 Silverado with very low miles and again was not driven daily that started rusting around the rear wheel wells on both sides. The rust had not come through yet but the telltale paint bubbles were there. Truck was meticulously maintained from a body perspective and still all OEM paint. I traded that for my current RAM. Here in Minneapolis that year range of Silverado body style has been problematic for many GM owners and each time I see one I'm glad that I moved mine along when I did. Many owners have tried to cover the problem with aftermarket wheel well liners. I agree with you about earlier Ford trucks, but the aluminum bodied trucks seem to be doing very well so far....

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't pay attention to fords much and am wondering are the super duty fords aluminum bodies or just the F-150's?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its interesting that your 2009 GMC has no issues yet. I had a 2009 Silverado with very low miles and again was not driven daily that started rusting around the rear wheel wells on both sides. The rust had not come through yet but the telltale paint bubbles were there. Truck was meticulously maintained from a body perspective and still all OEM paint. I traded that for my current RAM. Here in Minneapolis that year range of Silverado body style has been problematic for many GM owners and each time I see one I'm glad that I moved mine along when I did. Many owners have tried to cover the problem with aftermarket wheel well liners. I agree with you about earlier Ford trucks, but the aluminum bodied trucks seem to be doing very well so far....
Maybe type specific, as my GMC is an SUV (Envoy).

BTW it seems to me that the fords seem to always show their first signs of rust on the tailgates. The rams and gm trucks around the wheel wells.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
2015 48k miles. no rust but it was rustproofed and undercoated 2 years ago. But I still plan on starting a fluid film coating once a year . probably within the next year or so.
Rust destroyed my 05 Chevy. :mad:

·
Registered
331 Posts
On my 2011 1500, I had it 6 years and 150,000km. There was the usual surface rust on the frame, axle and other steel items. What ever the gravel sand blasted. On the body, the only rust was from exposed steel on a few deep rock chips.

My 2017 is lining up to be about the same.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have recently noticed some rust on the spot welds on the front edge of the truck bed right behind the cab on each side. Easily seen standing beside the truck and just looking in between the rear cab and truck bed.
2016 with 200,000 kms. Krown sprayed and fluid filmed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes, 2014 big horn. 98k miles out of warranty as of 7-14. Rust bubble on right rear fender at wheel opening. Corrosion on leading edge of hood multiple places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, 2014 big horn. 98k miles out of warranty as of 7-14. Rust bubble on right rear fender at wheel opening. Corrosion on leading edge of hood multiple places.
Interesting for sure. What part of the country are you in? Also, is the right rear fender still OEM paint etc? My truck has wheel well moldings, and I've often wondered what might be going on underneath them from a corrosion perspective. I've tried to flush around that area in the Spring, but you'd really need to remove them to flush it properly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hoods are aluminum and bubbling along the front edge is a known factory defect.
I had my hood repaired and painted under warranty.
Beyond that, bodywork is fine. 65,000 miles in northeast.

·
Registered
194 Posts
In Connecticut
2014 drivers rear wheel well bubbled. The inner seam in wheel well was rusting and it grew from there. I tried to have it fixed under warranty they said no must be visible hole from outside....
So I traded it that truck for a 2019 Hemi. I did spray the 14 with fluid film but the first 2 times I used the cheaper gun and I missed 1 year. My 19 I bought the better spray gun and already applied it.

I have a friend with a 2014 he has had the front quarter panel replaced under warranty and has rust on hood.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Mine is a 15 with no visible rust, also the undercarriage looks good. I did have a waxoly undercoating applied when new.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts