RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,
We have a 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel that has been our company's main work truck since 2014. Overall, it has been fantastic, it now has over 230k miles over tough terrain in the oilfield.
For about the last 3-4 months the truck is pulling hard, especially on the highway, to the point of almost being uncontrollable. Our mechanic can not find anything wrong with it and we have replaced shocks and springs recently.
I have done a little searching on here and couldn't find a situation like this, so I'm hoping some input might shed some light on our situation.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
It seems to me your best bet is to find a competent mechanic/shop that specializes in steering/suspension/alignment issues so they can properly diagnose and fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
New tires and an alignment check would be the first steps, or even just a cross rotation to see if it changes. Should also check the steering angle.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Wear points,
Steering column especially UJ.
Steering rack and joints,
Suspension bushes and joints
Shock bushes

But before all that given it's hard usage, I wonder if the chassis is still square.

Can you explain specifically when the truck is uncontrollable?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,487 Posts
Have the mechanic take a look at the rear four link suspension bushings and also the panhard bar bushings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wear points,
Steering column especially UJ.
Steering rack and joints,
Suspension bushes and joints
Shock bushes

But before all that given it's hard usage, I wonder if the chassis is still square.

Can you explain specifically when the truck is uncontrollable?
It gets bad after hitting a small bump on the highway like a bridge or something similar

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Steering road bump death wobble. Seen on jeeps. Carefully examine the steering sector shaft for wear.
Is there even a sector shaft on our electronic rack and pinion steering?

·
Registered
253 Posts
No. Unless you want to call the Pinion the sector shaft. In which case, still doesn't apply.

Also, not the cause of DW on Jeeps, and you can't carefully inspect the shaft without tearing the steering box apart. There are no external surfaces to inspect, either the pitman arm is tight on the splines or it isn't.

Getting off topic, but DW on Jeeps is 99.9% ALWAYS worn balljoints and/or control arm joints, and sometimes tie rod ends. Worn ends on the drag link would cause wondering, but not DW.
Source: Owned many jeeps and fixing DW o_O

1 - 9 of 9 Posts