RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new to the ecodiesel world and havent had much time to search around and learn about them!

So heres my problem at the moment

As i was driving tonight everything seemed to be running fine and felt normal, as i turned on my road i noticed a could hear my fan running which isnt normal as it doesnt kick on with the temps im normally running. as i pulled into the drive way i noticed i could smell either coolant or tranny fluid. I parked and got underneath it and the entire underneath of the truck is covered in red trans fluid, the only leak i could find looks like it came straight from the transmisson pan. Id like to know if anyone has had this issue or why it would happen the truck is new to me and has 48000 miles on it and i have not had to do any maintenance to it yet aside from changing the oil when i got it 2 months ago.

PLEASE HELP!!! I will be heading to the shop in the morning to hopefully get answers i am just trying to prepare myself for whats to come!

Thanks guys and gals!

·
Administrator
9,738 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear. I didn't think the trans fluid was red??? Let us know what you find out. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Stock trans fluid is not red.

Let us know what the shop finds.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
did it look anything like these pictures ????
another member had that , it was the hard line passing under the intake manifold bringing coolant to the turbo .
check the level in your coolant bottle , you are probably down , it stops at +/- an inch from the bottom of the bottle
but keeps going down in engine and rad , that would explain why you heard the fan come on .
Important that you fill the bottle before you ruin the water pump or bust a head gasket .
explained in first post in here : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/49297-ram-ed-cooling-systems.html

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys as i explained i am new to the vehicle but i appreciate the responses i took it to a fried that pressure tested it and found that it is coming from underneath the intake manifold and was able to order the Turbo Water Tube feeding the turbo with coolant. It took me an hour to find a shop willing to look at it and the dealer said three weeks to get me in and possibly three days to get me done. This is my only vehicle and as i am mechanically incline ill be tackling it myself and ill take detailed pictures and post instructions on here for anyone else that has had this issue as it took me forever to figure out the issue the part number is 68242889aa!

·
Administrator
9,738 Posts
Hey guys as i explained i am new to the vehicle but i appreciate the responses i took it to a fried that pressure tested it and found that it is coming from underneath the intake manifold and was able to order the Turbo Water Tube feeding the turbo with coolant. It took me an hour to find a shop willing to look at it and the dealer said three weeks to get me in and possibly three days to get me done. This is my only vehicle and as i am mechanically incline ill be tackling it myself and ill take detailed pictures and post instructions on here for anyone else that has had this issue as it took me forever to figure out the issue the part number is 68242889aa!
Thanks for the update. I hope the repair goes well and please do update with pictures.

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Drop it at the dealer and make them give you a loaner. Or find a different dealer.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
The tube itself will probably be fine , it is the o-rings at its ends that leak .
48,000 miles , still on warranty , and you want to do the job .......?
messing with the fuel rail when removing the intake is the creepy part.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Hey guys as i explained i am new to the vehicle but i appreciate the responses i took it to a fried that pressure tested it and found that it is coming from underneath the intake manifold and was able to order the Turbo Water Tube feeding the turbo with coolant. It took me an hour to find a shop willing to look at it and the dealer said three weeks to get me in and possibly three days to get me done. This is my only vehicle and as i am mechanically incline ill be tackling it myself and ill take detailed pictures and post instructions on here for anyone else that has had this issue as it took me forever to figure out the issue the part number is 68242889aa !
some parts number to research if you are missing some :

Some O-Ring part numbers:

68157217AA THERMOSTAT
68211201AA BYPASS TUBE O-RING
68258961AA BYPASS TUBE FLANGE GASKET (RED in color)
5066884AA INLET TUBE UNDER INTAKE PLENUM
68147586AA INLET TUBE AT REAR OF PUMP (FLANGED CONNECTION)

removing intake manifold to get to tubing under it
that brings coolant to the turbo.

- # 68211202AB
- # 68157217AA
- # 68147596AA ( 3 o-ring kit , supplied with water pump )

- # 68242889AA rubber part hose between 2 stainless tubes <---------yours .

- # 68148135AA and 68211212AA intake manifold gasket
- # 68334956AA ( tube kit for fuel supply , destroyed when removing intake manifold )

·
Administrator
9,738 Posts
The tube itself will probably be fine , it is the o-rings at its ends that leak .
48,000 miles , still on warranty , and you want to do the job .......?
messing with the fuel rail when removing the intake is the creepy part.
Hey Kaz. It's actually the tube that feeds coolant to the turbo he's referring to. Looks to be the correct part number.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Wow , I've never seen that part before , it explains what " Gone in 10 " was referring to ,
when he said "bango fittings at turbo ".

from Gonein10 : thread : post # 23 :
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum...t-leak-passes-pressure-test-2.html#post837121

1) If your getting a strong smell IN the cab ,could possibly be the heater core.
Check the carpet, passenger side upper left foot well and see if its damp.
2) The turbo has 2 Bango fittings that circulate coolant through the turbo.
If they were to leak it would burn off on the hot turbo and exhaust and not show signs of a leak.
3) there are 2 hard lines that run from behind the water pump and under the intake.
They have O-rings and when they leak it is very difficult to notice the leak.

I had read about the union between " Y " tube behind water pump going to turbo , but never that particular little tube , ( item 3 ) .
Thanks ..

·
Registered
387 Posts
Kaz is right...According to FCA shop manual you must discard all the hard fuel lines and replace with that kit. At discount it alone is about $200. Do you HAVE to do it?? I dunno...but man this sure seems like a warranty job if only to actually protect yourself from future warranty denials.

Plus...and trust me on this...that intake manifold is NOT easy to remove. Some serious acrobatics involved in removing the turbo elbow, the turbo controller, etc.

The dealer will provide a loaner....go drop it off.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
the scary part about giving the run-around to that " fuel rail replacement requirement " , is a
possible future leak in that 29,000 Psi pressurised fuel rail , and catching on fire as a few trucks did ,
impossible to put out that fire even with an extinguisher .
Only $200 , thanks andymax , not that expensive for piece of mind .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kazimodo you have the wrong part all together its the Turbo Water Tube not the water pump. also being a Tech for seven years there is nothing scary about the job its actually pretty simple its just a matter of having the time to do it. I will be doing it this week and decided to return the part as i have dimensions of the line itself and found Stainless braided tubing that i will replace the rubber section with and then pressure test before putting everything back together. Dealership wanted 2500 total and was 4 weeks out i have only one vehicle so thats not an option. should be fun ill update when its done! thanks guys for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
did it look anything like these pictures ????
another member had that , it was the hard line passing under the intake manifold bringing coolant to the turbo .
check the level in your coolant bottle , you are probably down , it stops at +/- an inch from the bottom of the bottle
but keeps going down in engine and rad , that would explain why you heard the fan come on .
Important that you fill the bottle before you ruin the water pump or bust a head gasket .
explained in first post in here : Ram ED cooling systems
Mine looks exactly like that! About the same level in tank and trans looks the same
Hood Grille Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Mine looks exactly like that! About the same level in tank and trans looks the same
FYI the stock trans fluid is not red. Your leak could possibly be coolant from the turbo feed line beneath the intake manifold.

Reactions: 97hmcs
1 - 18 of 18 Posts