RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I own a 2014 ram 1500 4x4 single cab long bed eco diesel. Deleted and stg 2 sft tuned. I now use this truck to run my own small business and drive at least 1000+ miles a week. I carry lots of material and tools for my work but don’t tow much at all and bought a large contractors cap. When I go to weigh myself at local dump I come over the scale right about 6100 lbs fully loaded ready for work, but that’s basically my max payload. When I bought the truck in August it had 94,xxx miles and I averaged 28-30mpg hand calculated that was before it was turned into my work truck , didn’t really haul or do anything for a couple weeks of ownership. Now it’s nov and I’m at 112,xxx miles and I avg 23-24 mpg when I am loaded with cap. is this good?because of high diesel cost Im always wondering and concerned If bought the wrong truck and maybe should have went for a 2500 Cummins or just a gasser due to payload and longevity or something cheaper. This truck is my daily driver and workhorse it gets used every single day. This was a huge investment for Me ($18k)at 19 years old and at the time of buying it I thought it was perfect. Here’s some pics . Let me know what you all think, Thanks.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Attachments

· Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
870 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

28-30mpg highway unloaded in the summer is respectable (better than I do), but winter temperatures and fuel will bring that down to the 23-24 range easily. I typically see 25-26 average in the summer and 22-23 in the winter. Since I see signs of winter in your pictures my guess is that is the cause, not your cap or cargo. Though the cap adds weight and affects aerodynamics, it will be only slightly noticeable in mpgs.

Also your truck has a GVWR of 6600lb so if you weigh 6100 fully loaded (including driver?) you've got 500lb left to fill.

· Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Limited, 4x4, crew cab, air ride
115 Posts
"Is this good?"..........That's much better fuel economy than any gas truck or heavy duty diesel will dream about delivering!

· Registered
6,582 Posts
Do you have a before and after tuning comparison?

23-24 is very respectable from a halfer.

· Registered
1,681 Posts
A cap will knock you down a bit and winter fuel (gas or diesel) has less btu of energy per gallon. Try installing a winter front and plugging her in for a couple hours before starting in winter. I usually get about 30 mpg summer and 26-28 winter , but I'm almost 72 yrs old, hehe. My 2.5L Subaru Outback averages about 2-4 mpg less, driven the same way. I try not to drive over 65, don't let it idle much, use winter front, block heater when below 20F. I am lucky enough to have my own bulk tank of summer diesel that I treat myself. Worth about 2 more mpgs. Buy diesel wholesale and use Hot Shots EDT on every tank as well. If you find that you need a bit more load carrying ability, rear airbags might be for you.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
I love the 1/2-ton regular cab. I'm looking for one as we speak. (y)

· Registered
6,582 Posts
I don’t, when I bought the truck it was deleted and it came with the sft tuner so I’ve been cheap and just running that. I plan on buying the reckless Motorsports ez link tuning very soon and will give comparisons if any.
You would be going from bad to worse, but to each their own. Best of luck.

Do your research and it could save you thousands and many headaches.

Reactions: robertsb574

· Registered
2,552 Posts
I plan on buying the reckless Motorsports ez link tuning very soon and will give comparisons if any.
You would be going from bad to worse, but to each their own. Best of luck.

Do your research and it could save you thousands and many headaches.
This! Please search/read the forum before you make that mistake.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
yessir , no frills work truck and ol 8 ft bed. The eco diesel in this config is super rare in my area, it took me about 2 months to find this.
If Chevy sold the 3.0 i6 duramax Silverado in a 8ft bed work truck id go buy one brand new off the lot.
I was actually waiting for Ram to offer a regular cab EcoDiesel in the 5th gen body style, but it never materialized and now the EcoDiesel is being discontinued. So, I'm now looking for a 4th gen regular cab, which seem to be hit and miss. It seems like there were more regular cab EcoDiesels produced in 2014/2015 than in 2016, 2017, and 2018. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen a 2019 regular cab EcoDiesel, so I'm not sure if they made them that model year.

· Registered
2,698 Posts
I was actually waiting for Ram to offer a regular cab EcoDiesel in the 5th gen body style, but it never materialized and now the EcoDiesel is being discontinued. So, I'm now looking for a 4th gen regular cab, which seem to be hit and miss. It seems like there were more regular cab EcoDiesels produced in 2014/2015 than in 2016, 2017, and 2018. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen a 2019 regular cab EcoDiesel, so I'm not sure if they made them that model year.
Hi: biodiesel... I wouldn't want an EcoD for a work truck. I spend too much time as it is on "Fake messages" from the EVIC.
Can't seem to go anywhere without a "Ding dong the witch is dead"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

· Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
2,044 Posts
Winter fuel is your issue. When living in Alaska, my 2017 Ecodiesel would drop from 24-25 mpg summer average to as low as 16 mpg in the deep of winter. I would get up to 30 mpg also, but that is freeway driving under 65 mph.

Now I have a 2021 2500 Cummins. For this truck, running winter fuel would drop mileage down to 11 mpg in the Alaskan deep cold. Right now I'm in California, running #2 diesel, I got 21.3 mpg (all my mpg are hand calculated) on my last tankfull with mostly freeway miles and one regen.

Winter fuel can just kill mileage in diesels, just like gasoline does.

· Registered
32 Posts
Really glad I found my unicorn Single cab long box gen 4 RAM eco diesel. I wanted 4x2 as well. I only found one for sale at the time 3.5 hours form my place. Drove for it. It was a work truck. Yeah winter is a low mileage time. Rich mix cold until warm and get the winter font. My issue is temperature swings that are a PITA. -20 one week, +10 the next. damn climate change LOL LOL LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts