RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I neglected to order the tow package and I am lacking in the Tow Mirror category. Anyone seen any OEM for 2013-14?

Dealer wants over $1,100 just for the mirrors not including install.:eek:

Do you have tow mirrors that you would trade for regular Mirrors. :rolleyes:(Had to Ask)

Anyway, just a shot in the dark

Dan:cool:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I am thinking you find find a few guys who will.....the tow package comes with those big mirrors and some guys who only tow the odd time really just wanted the hitch and box and didnt realize how big the mirrors are and how different they look.....i almost made that mistake myself.......

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking you find find a few guys who will.....the tow package comes with those big mirrors and some guys who only tow the odd time really just wanted the hitch and box and didnt realize how big the mirrors are and how different they look.....i almost made that mistake myself.......
Maybe So. I tried towing a 24' camper and of course the Truck stepped right up and pulled it like a champ. (5500 lbs) I just couldn't see ANYTHING behind me. Had to switch to my SoCal Duramax. Workhorse but not as comfortable. (I'd throw in a Diesel fuel cap.)

BTW, I've been to Oakville. Have a business friend in Kitchner. Nice area ....except in snow storms :)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
As a stop gap you could always buy those slip ons, that extend them.....1100 is crazy

Oakville is nice just too expensive my little 950sqft house on a quarter acre is worth like 700k wayy to much for this pile of crap

Reactions: westondan

·
Registered
707 Posts
I ordered a truck that had problems and got delayed quite a while. As a result I got a truck off the lot. The one I ordered had tow mirrors, the one off of the lot didn't. While I was considering bailing on my ordered truck I spent a fair amount of time considering the loss of the tow mirrors. I tow a 24' enclosed trailer a lot. I finally decided that if the normal mirrors turned out to be inadequate, I could always put some slip-ons when needed. Now that I have the truck tho, I think I'm going to be ok just be sticking some small convex mirrors on to the normal mirrors. I can see behind me pretty well, I just can't see my trailer tires. The convex mirrors will let me see those tires.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered a truck that had problems and got delayed quite a while. As a result I got a truck off the lot. The one I ordered had tow mirrors, the one off of the lot didn't. While I was considering bailing on my ordered truck I spent a fair amount of time considering the loss of the tow mirrors. I tow a 24' enclosed trailer a lot. I finally decided that if the normal mirrors turned out to be inadequate, I could always put some slip-ons when needed. Now that I have the truck tho, I think I'm going to be ok just be sticking some small convex mirrors on to the normal mirrors. I can see behind me pretty well, I just can't see my trailer tires. The convex mirrors will let me see those tires.
I may try some clip on mirrors for the few times I need them. I am going to get the OEM brake controller though.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I may try some clip on mirrors for the few times I need them. I am going to get the OEM brake controller though.
+1. I did not have the dealer put on the tow mirrors because they were too expensive. But I did have them put on the OEM brake controller. ~$330.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Knock a factory towing mirror and get it fixed. You will pay through the nose. Friend has them. ATM's drive up food windows, toll booths etc. He bonked his and has had nothing but troubles.

I have three strap-on towing mirrors. Why three? I bonked one off and bought another set. Less than $30, they go on fast and work well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a set from e-trailer.
I asked about the CIPA for my Laramie and I was told they would not fit.
I ordered the clip-on's and they fit. I would rather have something else but they work.
Good Luck!

here is the dialog:

Custom Towing Mirrors for a 2014 Ram 1500 with Factory Chrome Mirrors

Question:

will either of these mirrors fit my 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie with the chrome heated mirrors.

asked by: Thomas

Expert Reply:

We have a few different custom fit towing mirror options for the 2014 Ram 1500. I have included a link to the options for you.

Mirror set # CM11400 is one option. It will not fit mirrors with additional lighting features, such as LED turn signals, automatic dim, memory and puddle lights. They are made to fit the standard mirrors, like the ones in the video I have linked. The chrome overlay on your mirrors may cause too tight of a fit but we have not had the chance to test them yet on that type of mirror. But in the past, the chrome did cause fit issues.

More fits are likely to become available in the future but if you need towing mirrors right away I recommend taking a look at our universal towing mirrors which I have linked for you.

expert reply by:
Products Referenced in This Question

CIPA Custom Towing Mirrors - Slip On - Driver Side and Passenger Side

CIPA Custom Towing Mirrors - Slip On - Driver Side and Passenger Side

ratingratingratingratingrating
549 reviews
CM11400

Retail: $69.90

Price: $59.90

Product Summary:

Slide-On Mirror
Pair of Mirrors

Product Specs:

Manual
Fits Driver and Passenger Side

more information

Product Page this Question was Asked From

The Original Custom Towing Mirror Slide-On Mirrors (Pair)

The Original Custom Towing Mirror Slide-On Mirrors (Pair)

ratingratingratingratingrating
387 reviews
CTM3100B

Price: $64.95

Product Summary:

Slide-On Mirror
Pair of Mirrors

Product Specs:

Manual
Fits Driver and Passenger Side

more informa

·
Registered
583 Posts
Has anyone actually tried to exchange tow for standard or standard for tow mirrors? I will have the tow mirrors, but I don't really like them, as I think they are too big. (That's the disadvantage to taking dealer stock-you get stuck with some things you didn't really want to get the things that you really did want.)

The main difference being the power fold on the standard mirrors vs. no power fold on the tow mirrors. (I am specifically talking about Laramie Limited.) On ebay there are a few of the standard Laramie mirrors (turn signal, puddle lamp, heated, power fold, auto dim) and they seem to have a 12-pin connector. I didn't see any tow mirrors to compare plugs.

I can certainly can do without the power fold, but they probably don't fold manually (for car wash) without breaking the mechanism without having the control switch. Will it throw a code for having the wrong mirror connected (assuming that the plugs are the same)?

Please let me know if you have any experiences related to exchanging them. BTW-used mirrors are around $200-$250 for standard Laramie mirrors with power fold.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a set of power, heated tow mirrors for our model trucks that have the chrome housing as well as the turn signal and led puddle lamps in them. I had bought them and installed on my 2012 Ram 2500 and loved them over the factory smaller mirrors. But I traded it in and bought me a new eco diesel this last weekend and now have the mirrors sitting around since I traded the truck in stock. From my experience in research though the 2013- present 1500 through 3500 truck all went to the outside ambient air temperature sensor being built into the driver side mirror. I have heard of fitting mirrors made for the 2012 and older that do not have the sensor built in, on to the 2013- newer will make your truck to into a limp more of a sort. I don't know if there's truth to that statement by people in other forums but you would lose your outside temp display at the least to try a pair on these newer models. I may try it myself and see what the outcome is and report back unless someone else has already tried this. In all reality is like to have a pair of mirrors made right for our newer model trucks though.....

·
Registered
241 Posts
My truck came with the tow mirrors and I didnt' want them. I would happily swap with you if you have the power fold mirrors, but from what I've read it can be a somewhat involved process. Requiring swapping both door modules as well as re flashing the computer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts