RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my engine fail in my truck,,, 160000 km,, a year past the warranty,,, I still have 2 1/2 year worth of payments on it. The dealership wants 20000$ to replace the engine. Or lock me into another vehicle for another term ( ya right). Is there still anything going on about these failures? And what are my options? Much appreciated

·
Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4
134 Posts
First of all welcome (y) , and sorry you had some bad luck:cry: secondly what's your experience with the dealer up to this point???, i believe you could find a shop that would save you money, i'm sure others will chime in on sources for new engines and shops to do the work, lot of knowledge and help here;)

here is what one member mentioned about his new motor; (i will also link the thread it is in)

"Buying a used engine from eBay and receiving same thing I just pulled out somehow did not sit well with me so I talk my wife into buying a new one.
Moparpowertrain.com was easy, put it in the cart, they do not charge tax, no freight charge, even for lift gate service, didn't even add CORE. $6950 from PayPal and waiting for 10 days. There was a hiccup with delivering to my address, so instead of waiting one more day, I just went to the terminal and picked the crate up."

post that above was taken from; DIY Engine replacement | RAM 1500 Diesel Forum

·
Registered
504 Posts
I just had my engine fail in my truck,,, 160000 km,, a year past the warranty,,, I still have 2 1/2 year worth of payments on it. The dealership wants 20000$ to replace the engine. Or lock me into another vehicle for another term ( ya right). Is there still anything going on about these failures? And what are my options? Much appreciated
This is why I sold my truck a couple days ago, I'm to old to take a hit like that. I sold my Ecodiesel to a Ram dealer the manager said he was reluctant to buy my truck because they had recently took a trade in with 118,000 kms on it and it blew up shortly afterward.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is why I sold my truck a couple days ago, I'm to old to take a hit like that. I sold my Ecodiesel to a Ram dealer the manager said he was reluctant to buy my truck because they had recently took a trade in with 118,000 kms on it and it blew up shortly afterward.
Ya man,,, me too. I think Im just screwed. Got a paper weight in my driveway lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all welcome (y) , and sorry you had some bad luck:cry: secondly what's your experience with the dealer up to this point???, i believe you could find a shop that would save you money, i'm sure others will chime in on sources for new engines and shops to do the work, lot of knowledge and help here;)

here is what one member mentioned about his new motor; (i will also link the thread it is in)

"Buying a used engine from eBay and receiving same thing I just pulled out somehow did not sit well with me so I talk my wife into buying a new one.
Moparpowertrain.com was easy, put it in the cart, they do not charge tax, no freight charge, even for lift gate service, didn't even add CORE. $6950 from PayPal and waiting for 10 days. There was a hiccup with delivering to my address, so instead of waiting one more day, I just went to the terminal and picked the crate up."

post that above was taken from; DIY Engine replacement | RAM 1500 Diesel Forum
Well to tell you the truth, we thought we were financing for 5 years with a 5 year warranty,,, and when that five years was up, we called the dealership to check it out and it was an 8 years term. We screwed up on that one. So 1000$/month for 96 months. Do the math. Ridiculous. Now I’m just screwed with 2 1/2 years still left

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hate to suggest, but if you owe $30,000, might think of having them repo it. You will take a hit on your credit, but you will get rid of that albatross.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Buy the crate engine and go to an outside diesel shop. Much less expensive and will do a better job guaranteed.

It will cost you a bit but much less than 20k.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well to tell you the truth, we thought we were financing for 5 years with a 5 year warranty,,, and when that five years was up, we called the dealership to check it out and it was an 8 years term. We screwed up on that one. So 1000$/month for 96 months. Do the math. Ridiculous. Now I’m just screwed with 2 1/2 years still left
$96,000 ? Ouch !.................

·
Super Moderator
3,553 Posts
Something missing in that I presume.

Reactions: TwoBobs

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussing how the truck was financed isn't helping him at all. Don't see why folks wanna comment on post about advice with a problem if they have nothing helpful to say.
? Really ? His whole post " #5 " was about him discusing his Financing and warranty. If that dosent open the door for a comment what does ? So how was "your" post "helpful" ?

·
Administrator
9,430 Posts
? Really ? His whole post " #5 " was about him discusing his Financing and warranty. If that dosent open the door for a comment what does ? So how was "your" post "helpful" ?
In all fairness, the post was about the engine failure and " Is there still anything going on about these failures? And what are my options? Much appreciated"

·
Registered
121 Posts
Please read post #5 is what i was refering to .
Sounded more like needing to vent a little than it did asking a question about financing. His question was a mechanical one and instead of offering something that might help with that, you decided to jump on the financing vent.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did they offer the same warranty with AEM in Canada or was the AEM just for the US?

·
Administrator
9,430 Posts
Looking on the bright side, the OP didn't seem to have an issue with others discussing financing so all's well that ends well. Now we can move on. :)

·
Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4
134 Posts
Wow that hurts, the sad thing is your propably not the first and propably won't be the last to be mislead by a dealer, the last vehicle i finianced they added some kind of Insurance which i had told the guy 3x i did not want it, found the "clerical" error the next morning:mad:....not sure what i'd do in your shoes, If it were mine i'd either be trying to sell the truck short and eat it (the loss), and most likely you'll have to get the lending company to agree, or I'd Probably still try to do it myself or have an indipendant shop do the work, think the price the dealer is quoting you is giving you a bath, best of luck in a sucky situation 😢 🙏

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sounded more like needing to vent a little than it did asking a question about financing. His question was a mechanical one and instead of offering something that might help with that, you decided to jump on the financing vent.
?? you decided to jump on the financing vent... All i said was ...Ouch... P. S Still havent seen any meaningful contribution from you yet ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.