RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI , I have a 2015 ecodeisel with 195,000 KMs (121,000 miles). I have heard that the fuel pump in the engine could fail and cause alot of damage. Although the truck is running great is there any preventative measures I could take? Thanks

·
Administrator
9,907 Posts
HI , I have a 2015 ecodeisel with 195,000 KMs (121,000 miles). I have heard that the fuel pump in the engine could fail and cause alot of damage. Although the truck is running great is there any preventative measures I could take? Thanks
Fuel additives for lubricity along with good quality fuel.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
634 Posts
+1 for Hotshots EDT

Reactions: swimmer

·
Registered
189 Posts
Please help me to understand... I get you want to stay ahead of certain repairs. Yet, for the fuel pump, etc., 'if it ain't broke, don't break it.'

Where have you heard about the fuel pump causing issues?

My answer to your posted question, I agree with the other answers. I use Hot Shot Extreme diesel fuel additive. I have no proof that it helps anything specific. It has eliminated the DPF ck engine light (CEL). 2015 1500 Ecodeisel Lonestar 4x4, 155k miles.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I use HOTSHOTS SECRET EVERYDAY DIESEL TREATMENT, LX4, and DIESEL EXTREME. EDT goes in every tank, LX4 every 2-4 tanks and EXTREME EVERY 6 MONTHS.
FYI, LX4 is now added to the EDT.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I run Hot Shot's Secret EDT in every tank and Diesel Extreme once per year. I also run a minimum of B5 (5% biodiesel in each tank). According to studies, B2 (2% biodiesel) will outperform all aftermarket fuel additives in lubrication.

Besides lubricating the CP4 pump for longevity, Diesel Extreme and EDT will keep your injectors clean and improves combustion. This means fewer regens and better fuel economy. Theoretically, the cost of the fuel additive will pay for itself just in fuel economy. We'll never know what kind of repairs we have evaded by running EDT/Diesel Extreme, but I would like to think I've prolonged the life of my CP4 pump, injectors, and DPF by running the fuel additives.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 253,000 KM.
1,864 Posts
To answer your original question: Never drive the truck with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel remaining. The in-tank lift pump will last longer and therefore a less likelihood of compromising the CP4 high pressure pump you are referring to.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Never drive the truck with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel remaining. The in-tank lift pump will last longer and therefore a less likelihood of compromising the CP4 high pressure pump you are referring to.
This is one of the many reasons why I like having an auxiliary in-bed fuel tank. Our 26-gallon tank is only a 20-gallon tank in the scheme of things.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
When you change the fuel filter, cycle the pump 6 times before starting. That's why I never let anyone else change my oil or fuel filter. A little air in the Bosch pump from failure to prime could be a costly repair. I always use the Hotshots EDT every fill up and dose it with Extreme every 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please help me to understand... I get you want to stay ahead of certain repairs. Yet, for the fuel pump, etc., 'if it ain't broke, don't break it.'

Where have you heard about the fuel pump causing issues?

My answer to your posted question, I agree with the other answers. I use Hot Shot Extreme diesel fuel additive. I have no proof that it helps anything specific. It has eliminated the DPF ck engine light (CEL). 2015 1500 Ecodeisel Lonestar 4x4, 155k miles.

Hi , I ran into a guy that said his fuel broke( CP4) and caused alot of damage .Unfortunatly I dont know him well enough to confirm .

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi , I ran into a guy that said his fuel broke( CP4) and caused alot of damage .Unfortunatly I dont know him well enough to confirm .
-----
Gotcha, so when you say you heard that fuel pump could fail and cause a lot of damage... What you mean is one guy was complaining... And you took that as something horrible.

A fuel pump going or that has gone bad 'might' cause problems - doubtful.

Might I suggest to research and verify when people say certain things. Sadly, people have too many uninformed opinions. For example, look at the US President.

My final advice is, don't break it if it's not broken. I do like the HOTSHOT fuel additive.

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Bosch CP4 pumps are used in a lot of diesels. They will last a long time if they don't pick up air or water. Probably the CP3 pumps are better, Cummins went back to it for a reason and Duramax went to a different pump. When the CP 4 takes a dump, it does a lot of damage. It's an easy job to change the fuel filter, but I don't want the kid that washes cars after school doing it.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
218 Posts
I use Hot Shot Extreme diesel fuel additive. I have no proof that it helps anything specific. It has eliminated the DPF ck engine light (CEL). 2015 1500 Ecodeisel Lonestar 4x4, 155k miles.

Might I suggest to research and verify when people say certain things. Sadly, people have too many uninformed opinions.

:unsure::unsure::unsure:😂😂😂

Kind of a proved his own point eh!!

Great read on CP4.2 pump failures . Kind of bears out some of the other great knowledge on this forum.... pay attention when you change your fuel filter and go through the proper priming sequence! It would appear that if your CP4.2 fuel pump grenades it could be a very expensive fix!

Reactions: markcfoster

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use Hot Shot Extreme diesel fuel additive. I have no proof that it helps anything specific. It has eliminated the DPF ck engine light (CEL). 2015 1500 Ecodeisel Lonestar 4x4, 155k miles.

Might I suggest to research and verify when people say certain things. Sadly, people have too many uninformed opinions.

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Kind of a proved his own point eh!!

Great read on CP4.2 pump failures . Kind of bears out some of the other great knowledge on this forum.... pay attention when you change your fuel filter and go through the proper priming sequence! It would appear that if your CP4.2 fuel pump grenades it could be a very expensive fix!
2015 Ram Eco Diesel 4x4 Lonestar - 151000 miles. I don't know the hours running right now.

I agree. I, too, have zero proof that using HotShot fuel additive changes or helps anything.

I do know by using it, I've cleared and kept clear one CEL, the DPF cleaning, and I can't remember the other. Too I do feel Hotshot helps my fuel mileage, maybe by 1-5 mpg. Admittedly, I could be full of it regarding the mpg. I started using HotShot due to the DPF CEL...I do not want the DPF cleaning/repair cost.

>I'll take back my previous post... about a fuel pump (CP4) causing damage...
Changing a fuel pump is not simple - but it's not complicated. A decent shade tree mech can do it. Like many pickups, lift the bed, access the top of the fuel tank.

Even so, I still feel we can't go around worrying about what might or might not happen.

You could contact RamCares, asking further questions.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
218 Posts
No worries SlowTraffic. I just thought it was kinda funny.
Many on this forum use Hotshot to great results it appears! Very interesting about the aeration and how improperly installing a fuel filter or not priming properly could have such catastrophic results!
Kinda makes you want to take your time and double check each step!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts