RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, y’all have helped me fix and avoid several problems already, but just joined the forum because I’ve been looking and haven’t found a thread with my exact issue. So my truck is a ‘15, 155k miles, was deleted about 20k miles ago. Got in it one morning after work and drove 60 miles back home no problem, let it sit about an hour, got in it again and drove it about 200 feet and parked it to work on the tractor. After about an hour, got in it started right up, I drove about 10 feet and it stalled and that’s where it sits. Fuel filter was gross and overdue, I had planned on changing it that day. Put in a Wix filter, no change. Assumed it may have been clogged and burnt the fuel pump, just changed that out yesterday, and still just cranks with no start. I’ve cycled the key dozens of times to make sure the fuel system is primed, but it just cranks and cranks with nothing. Eventually after a bit of cranking some lazy white smoke comes out the exhaust but doesn’t smell like coolant or raw diesel, just a burnt exhaust smell. Anyone have anything else I can try? I’m just hoping it’s not the cp4 or the injectors caught some junk from the bad filter, I don’t have a couple thousand dollars laying around. I appreciate anyones help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update to this, I was able to pull codes this morning and got the dreaded p0336 crankshaft code. Cleared it and tried to start, nothing. Checked codes again to see if it came back, and got a u0140 lost communication with bcm, along with a service shifter message, oil pressure low message, service electronic brakes message, parking light out, brake light out, all sorts of messages on the EVIC. It cranks and feels like it wants to start but something is preventing it from starting, cracked a fuel line at the rail and it has fuel it’s not airlocked, Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crankshaft sensor/tone wheel was what I was thinking too, just weird it was showing all those weird codes and messages on the EVIC. Going to have someone else look at it, I’ve done all I can do with the time, tools, and resources I have. It’s in the middle of the pasture so I’ve been rolling around in the dirt for 3 days, it’s time to pack it up and get it to a shop.

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
Black14 might be on the right track now that you mention you're in the dirt. The large connector on the frame rail under the drivers seat area could have come loose??? This has been somewhat common and can cause lots of weird codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t remember it being loose while I was under there, but I know the pin that holds it to the frame has broke off so that connection kinda dangles a bit. Ill have to check on that when I get home from work, had to catch a ride since the wife has the other truck out of town. We live on a farm in south Texas so nothing but dirt out here lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts