RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a new 2015 Laramie Ecodiesel ,Crew Cab, 4x4, 5'7" box, At approx 30k miles it started to shake at 67 mph to 73 mph. Took it to the dealer, they checked it and said it was the tires. The vibration comes from the front seat area, and shakes the console, can't really feel any shake in the steering wheel. Slow down or speed up out of the 67 to 73 mph range, shake goes away.
At 50k, changed tires, still shook. Changed from Ram clad wheels to Ram one piece wheel, still shook. Suspected drive shaft (this model has the one piece aluminum DS) had it balanced, still shook. Had tires force balanced, still shook.
Read on forums where many were having this same shake, never read any cures. My truck has never been wrecked, all maint has been done by me and has been done correctly.
I took the truck to a shop that specializes in vibration analysis, they are leaning towards the motor mounts, but are not certain at this point.

130k miles are now on the truck, and it still shakes, no worse or no better. I recently mounted a camera to the frame and could see the transfer case moving in just about every direction, along with shaking. Lighting is poor in the video, but you can see the transfer case on the right side of the video, right behind the white UPC sticker that is visible, especially around the 1:25 mark.

After seeing this video, I believe all of the mounts are severely weakened and need replacement. Has anyone replaced the Ecodiesel motor mounts / transmission mount / etc ?
I am not allowed to post a link for the video since I am new, I will try to add it in a reply post.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
There is some shake. Would be a valuable comparison to picture one that is not yours and not a problem Motors do move and take the transmission, cases and exhaust with them. That does seem like a back-n-forth motion.

Man you sure have some frame rust. You must be in the rust belt. Good luck sorting that out. Now that you are out of warranty it's gonna take you or an independent garage to deal with that, if there truly is a problem there.

·
Super Moderator
3,820 Posts
Does your truck have a midshaft bearing? check that for play, if it doesn't have one check the four link suspension bushings and the panhard bar bushings. I read on another forum about a guy solving some vibration and instability while towing by replacing the panhard bar.
just throwing $0.02

·
Registered
398 Posts
Can you find a smoother road to get more footage? It would help to isolate the vibration.

Also find a spot in the middle front and shoot back to the rear catching the transfer case in the shot and including the r drive shaft and rear end.

To isolate the rear driveshaft, remove it and drive in 4wd.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I remember reading about a similar complaint from someone a while back they did find a solution. Good luck finding it on here though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts