RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I work 2nd shift and just got home from work a few minutes ago. While going inside my I noticed the smell of coolant. I popped my hood, and I had no coolant. I checked the oil and coolant earlier today, both were full. I looked under my truck and found coolant all underneath my truck.

So my thought is that the EGR Cooler failed. Before today, I never had any coolant losses. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? My truck has been GDE tuned since 30,000 miles, now it has 138,000 on the truck. I am planning on loading the stock transmission file back on the truck so the flash tool isn’t locked. Any one have any suggestions?

I did have the AEM Flash done, then switched back to GDE.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Egr cooler failure does not result in an external leak ( sometimes but extremely rare). You probably have a turbo supply line failure or something else external.
Well that’s good news. Any idea how to chase it down? Or would you entrust the task to a reputable shop (not the dealer)? I do use a shop for any big maintenance items, most recently the serpentine belt. I’ve used them for years.

You’re pretty confident that it’s not the EGR cooler? I personally don’t have a clue, any advice is welcome.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Well that’s good news. Any idea how to chase it down? Or would you entrust the task to a reputable shop (not the dealer)? I do use a shop for any big maintenance items, most recently the serpentine belt. I’ve used them for years.

You’re pretty confident that it’s not the EGR cooler? I personally don’t have a clue, any advice is welcome.
Thanks.
A leak of that size would be very easy to find just pressure test the cooling system. Or fill the cooling system and start the engine you should be able to visually see a leak of that size. You may need to slide underneath and look up it could be the hose under the intake manifold.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A leak of that size would be very easy to find just pressure test the cooling system. Or fill the cooling system and start the engine you should be able to visually see a leak of that size. You may need to slide underneath and look up it could be the hose under the intake manifold.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
first and not expensive thing to do , is change bottle cap on degas bottle ,
my cap was B/O last summer , coolant rising very fast , next step was to overflow from the tube that starts
under the degas bottle and ends mid height of rad on passenger side : that would have resulted
in samesituation you have .

I'm amazed at what Brokedownbutgood wrote , one of the few different failures the EGR can have is a crack that unites
the exhaust portion of the EGR with the coolant portion , then exhaust pressure sends coolant pressure above the
21 Psi marked on degas bottle cap , sending coolant out the same tube mentioned .
I figured that was 3/4 of EGR failures , guess I was wrong ,
Brokedownbutgood is much more of an expert than me , so I'll take his word for it .

references to my situation last year :

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
other spots that leak coolant as described by Brokedownbutgood :
when the leak comes from under the intake , it looks like the 2 images where you see the transmission .
images from a water pump replacement thread .:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Y’all,

A quick update: The dealer confirmed, that it is indeed the EGR that failed. They said it was pretty rare for it to fail to the extent that mine did, with such a massive loss of coolant, but that they (the dealer) had experienced some fail to that degree. The service manager said that he should have a new EGR cooler in about three weeks. Meanwhile, he has arranged to put me in a loaner vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts