RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing a new-to-me used truck in the near future. Been looking at a couple of 2015 EcoDiesels but wondered what kind of long-term reliability owners are seeing with them and cost of upkeep vs a hemi. I would be driving it primarily without a load but would be pulling a travel trailer with a dry weight of around 6,000 lbs. with it sometimes as well.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My 2015 just hit 140,000, lots of highway miles. Tow a light trailer a couple times a year. I've had no problems. Maintenance has been oil change ever 10,000, fuel filter every 30,000 and all other fluids at 100,000. If not for covid it would be taking daughter and grand kids to Disney World next week.

·
Registered
13,597 Posts
See if it has been tuned in some way or deleted. Either of those would be good.

Check out what recalls have been done or what might have yet to be done. After those issues they can have a very long operational life.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, sounds like you guys have had good experiences. I hadn't found much about how they held up with mileage so glad to hear the positive info.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If it's your first diesel, realize that diesels need to warm up a bit before hammering on them and give them a bit of idling down before shutting off. I see a lot of folks with turbochargers shut their vehicles off without giving a bit of time to cool down turbos. Having owned 3 hemis, don't see much difference servicing with the diesel. Actually easy to work on, and no spark plugs.... 90,000 trouble free miles on my "tuned" 2017 Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
980 Posts
2016 with 235,000 kms. Only issue was leaking EGR cooler which I then deleted 2 1/2 years ago. Been awesome ever since the GDE tune.
Never been in for dealer service other than the first oil change and tailgate latch recall.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
What is high milleage?

Probably not unlike any newer vehicle if something goes wrong then you better keep a slush fund for repairs. I dont let mine cool down at all unless ive been towing and i believe ram and the turbo manufacturer say the same is fine. I would let it warm up before smashing on it... but i do that with anything.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Any 6 year old truck is a crap shoot regardless of make and power train...213,000 miles/5,300 hours mechanically flawless. Replacing wear and tear items as they break. My truck has exceeded expectations for a modern 1/2 ton diesel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing a new-to-me used truck in the near future. Been looking at a couple of 2015 EcoDiesels but wondered what kind of long-term reliability owners are seeing with them and cost of upkeep vs a hemi. I would be driving it primarily without a load but would be pulling a travel trailer with a dry weight of around 6,000 lbs. with it sometimes as well.
I have a 2015 with 124000 miles on it at 89000 they put me a new motor in it, I’ve changed oil and filter every 5000 miles since I’ve owned it and still looks new. I’m wanting to sale it because I want a new jeep with the Eco Diesel in it, if interested call me (903)619-1270 thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would be careful about purchasing a used EcoDiesel without a power train warranty of transferable long term service contract. I just traded in a 2015 EcoDiesel with 52,000 miles with a new engine at 49, 500 miles. Engine installation was not completed correctly and I had to have a breach of warranty attorney file a lawsuit. Actually, his expert witness was able to identify that the installing dealer had not connected the crankshaft position sensor correctly. I was able to get my local dealer to complete the work and the truck was running great, but I had lost any confidence in both the vehicle and FCA. I guess it is a quality control issue.............some owners have little trouble and long lived engines. Others owners.....not so good. As the staff at Green Diesel Engineering said.......it's a crap shoot.

I took the small FCA settlement $5,500 & the emissions settlement $3.075 & threw in $12,OOO of my money and moved on to a new Ford F150 with a non complicated 5.0 fuel injected V8. I was satisfied with $19,000 trade in ....guess I could have tried a private sale as the vehicle had 3 years left of Mopar premium protection and a couple of years on the new engine. Guess I'll get the sour grapes label for this posting, but I just thought you might like another viewpoint. The truck, especially with the new engine, was a fun drive, but months of downtime is a PITA.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
BTW my dad has a stock 2015 with close to 80k and mechanically mint. Keep trying to talk him into a new 2020/2021 ED or V-6 since he is 81 and running out of time for cycling new trucks yet he 'loves' the truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up my 2015 in11/2018 With 108,000 miles on it and now I have 130. CaptainMal said it well. Tuned or deleted would help. I have various driving styles and habits. Towed up to 7000 pounds for some short trips and generally Drive highway and occasional light towing.

I couldn’t find any records of mine being previously tuned by contacting GDE and looking through various websites where you put the Vin number in. I got a check engine light for the EGR as settlement unfolded and luckily bought it just before the AEM recall. I took the cash and I’m in the process of researching my next step.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’ve got a 16 with 65k miles. Tuned since 18k,no problems at all to date. Been a great truck, tows our camper and gets 15-16 mpg’s doing it. It’ll break 30 mpg on the highway. What more could you ask?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts