RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 1500 ED with 68K miles blow this week, 100 miles into a 200 mile drive to visit my son. Towed it to a dealership. I'd like to talk to some people who've had this happen to them, or techs that know these engines so I can compare what this dealer tells me, versus what others have experienced. If interested in sharing your insights, please pm me or post here.

I was going 74mph with cruise on when check engine light came on. About 3 minutes later, a message came across screen saying something like service electronic speed controller. I'm not sure what that is, so I turned off cruise and took it down to 55mph. Then started losing power as I went up a hill. gave it more gas and a huge white cloud billowed out the back. knocking started and got louder. I pulled off highway and it died. Appeared to be diesel under the vehicle.

I like the truck, have been a Dodge guy for many years (2 Jeeps, 3 Vipers, 3 Rams). No complaining here, just looking for other experiences. Currently, truck is at a dealership being looked at. No info from them yet except that the oil filter housing was "finger tight" and the oil level indicated 1.2 qts over full.

Insight and thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
478 Posts
Tuned or non-tuned truck?
Oil type? Oil change regimen?
I assume you weren't towing at the time?

·
Registered
13,597 Posts
First Post on the forum - sorry it is unfortunate. Overfill of the oil? Something got in there. Coolant maybe?

Two issues you need to read about on this forum. There is a huge thread of accounts related to engine failures. Many have pictures of trashed motors. The knocking and sometimes physical destruction is well chronicled on this forum.

Next is the issue of increased oil level. Only thing you can figure is coolant got into the oil. Now the question is why? It has come from a leaking EGR and a leaking turbo seal in the past. It could also come from other areas but these are the most common. Read, learn and the wait for the dealer to explain. See how it lines up with what you read here or learned from reading around the forum.

Assuming you have a 2016 model from when you joined. Did you get the AEM tune? If so you even got an extension warranty with that. Hope things are covered.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx, Captain... I have a 2015 that I bought in early 16. I'm more of a lurker than a poster. I have researched the issues and it seems to coincide with my experience, but, I've got a truck with a blown motor riding on the service advisor, from a dealership I've never used who will be making the decision on warranty or not. I do have have the AEM done, factory warranty and powertrain warranty. I appreciate your feedback.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tuned or non-tuned truck?
Oil type? Oil change regimen?
I assume you weren't towing at the time?
Non-tuned- 100% stock
Rotella T6- Last changed in March of '19. I just bought new T6 from Tractor Supply due to promo I learned from this board- thank you! I always change my fuel filter at same time as oil.
I was not towing at the time.

Dave

·
Registered
478 Posts
Non-tuned- 100% stock
Rotella T6- Last changed in March of '19. I just bought new T6 from Tractor Supply due to promo I learned from this board- thank you! I always change my fuel filter at same time as oil.
I was not towing at the time.

Dave
Hopefully you'll get a new engine and can put this behind you. You should definitely keep this thread updated with events, its interesting to hear timelines on things such as this and what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As update, FCA is going to put a new motor in it under warranty per dealer on 12-2. Dealer won't take it in trade until it's fixed and "that could be months" again per dealer. I've opened a case with FCA, asked about buy back option / trade assist allowance and they opened a new case which was "escalated" to "special investigations team" for review. I can't contact them, I just need to wait until they contact me. Customer care tells me the case is open with no resolution- covered or not by warranty. Truck has been at dealer for 34 days now with "no firm diagnosis". FCA sent an engineer to Spfd, MO to look at the truck and do a report. Just got approved for rental car, but it's 250 miles away at the dealer where the truck was towed after failure- gotta look at that as positive I guess. I am happy with the FCA customer service so far, obviously frustrated at the time it's taking, but yelling at the customer care people will get me no where. Talked to a second dealer and asked if I brought the truck to them to do the warranty work, if they'd take it on trade. They won't take it on trade until it's fixed...grrrr.... I guess I'm stuck until the Special Investigations team gets back to me on the direction they are going. PS... as it turns out the extra "oil" in the crankcase was diesel fuel, not overfilled. I was 120 miles into a 200 mile trip at failure.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That is too bad about your experience. Hopefully FCA resolves the situation to your liking.
I am in a similar boat as you, though I have a confirmed diagnosis and parts on order. Mine is a faulty EGR cooler and it has been sitting at the dealership for 32 days this time, 39 days total. And I just had my first anniversary with the truck December 2nd...as it sat at the dealer.

Anyway Dave, good luck with your truck, and keep us updated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are saying it's most likely a high pressure fuel pump failure, which is included in the AEM warranty, so I'm asking for a buyout. Anyone have experience with that process or with the "Special Investigations Team"? Looking to get a 2500 Power Wagon now and just want this process done!

·
Registered
26 Posts
They are saying it's most likely a high pressure fuel pump failure, which is included in the AEM warranty, so I'm asking for a buyout. Anyone have experience with that process or with the "Special Investigations Team"? Looking to get a 2500 Power Wagon now and just want this process done!
Dave - I lost my engine at 70,000 with similar but not exact circumstances. I WAS towing and halfway into a 150 mile trip. Engine was running great until it wasn’t. It died in a matter of seconds. Big pool of oil underneath. The popular “spun bearing” was my diagnosis.

You might want to stop reading here.

This was May of 2019. Engine blew on a Friday. I had a new engine installed by the following Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,597 Posts
Just ponder ing how an injector pump failure leads to huge quantities of diesel in the oil, loosened oil filter cover, and the replacement engine diagnosis.

Sure have heard of a pump causing intake failures but not sure how that corresponds to a total engine replacement unless they figure it is not worth repairing the fuel intake and injectors.

Oh well, hope it all works out.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,115 Posts
  • Get it fixed, car max will buy it. Its amazing how Ram has placed this in the no trade position. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Just ponder ing how an injector pump failure leads to huge quantities of diesel in the oil, loosened oil filter cover, and the replacement engine diagnosis.

Sure have heard of a pump causing intake failures but not sure how that corresponds to a total engine replacement unless they figure it is not worth repairing the fuel intake and injectors.

Oh well, hope it all works out.
The injector failure could lead to the injector just letting fuel into the cylinder when it shouldn't and that excess fuel can then bypass the piston rings and get into the oil. Once the oil is contaminated with diesel it no longer lubricates properly. So the bearings and other parts will wear irregularly, thus ruining the engine.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're pondering since I would have totally expected my explanation to be unnecessary for someone who has been tinkering with engines as long as you have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts