RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first time posting here. I bought a used 2015 Ram 4x4 ecodiesel tradesman. When I first bought the truck it ran great and then the egr started to leak. I took it in and they ended up putting the new computer flash. This DESTROYED my mpg. Gradually over the next few months I would see that my mpg would decrease and the oil pressure would be all over the place. I took it back to the dealer and they said it needed another update for the transmission. Anyhow they updated it and my mpg was around 17-18. Down from 26-28. I drive the truck all over and I am not heavy on the throttle at all.
Any how over the next few months I would notice that my oil pressure would drop to about 8psi and then jump to 65psi. I took it back to the dealer because when this would happen engine lights would come on. The dealer said it’s normal. When I left the dealer I I got on the freeway and while merging I hear a loud knock. The knock got increasingly worse and loud. I took it back and to my surprise the engine failed.

The dealer just told me that the bearings failed and they are replacing my engine. What causes the bearings to fail? Will it happen again? I am not sure if I should just get rid of it or keep it now.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Some EcoDiesels suffered from bearing failure. Most did not. I would not worry about the new motor failing. Why they failed, nobody really has come up with an answer. My money would be that way less "tuned" EcoDiesels suffered bearing failures. I would talk to HD Diesel Supply in Canada or GDE about getting the new one tuned and just enjoy driving it. BTW, my 2017 GDE tuned ED has almost 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the feedback. The truck is a decent truck. I do have a gde tune which I purchased to get my MPG back. Once I get my truck back I will install it and hope for the best.

is there anything else I can do to safeguard the engine?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I believe you will need to have the new injector codes written into the GDE ECM or send GDE the current tune file for modification if its the new version using the dongle.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. The truck is a decent truck. I do have a gde tune which I purchased to get my MPG back. Once I get my truck back I will install it and hope for the best.

is there anything else I can do to safeguard the engine?
GDE Tune, HotShot EDT, HotShot Diesel Extreme every 6 months, Shell T-6 5w-40 as the oil change indicator prompts on evic, what more can you do ? I am a CDN govt. Certified Commercial Transport Mechanic for over 35 years, started out with Shell oil products tried all the rest and ended up using Shell oil products the stuff I thought was crap because it was the least expensive in the first place. I would suggest not pushing the RPM's on diesels if you don't need to push RPM's, keep the torque up and RPM's down on diesel's, last I heard Detroit Diesel encourage pulling their new engines right down to 1100 rpm on hills. Huge advances in oil technology over the last 40 years are game changers this allows you to pull confidently down into lower rpm's on hills without concerning yourself so much with lugging your engine and creating bearing damage, not really a concern these days.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
So the dealer would change the injector codes?
The new engine will have new injector codes which need to be programed into the ECM if you are swapping out the ECM to put in the GDE tuned ECM. The dealer will not do this. You can by AlphaOBD or GDE can. Do not tell the desler about the tune. Swap the ECM after the engine is swapped and all is running good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the oil light would come on from time to time. This caused me to look at the oil pressure setting on the cluster. Dumb or not it would jump all over the place. It would drop very low and twice caused the engine to turn off and not start for about 20 minutes. The dealer said that the oil pressure fluctuation was normal so I ignored it. Then shortly after the engine blew.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab 4x4 EcoDiesel w/ Air Suspension
11 Posts
While the gauge is dumb (it will just not tell you your true oil pressure), it will still tell you when something is not right. My guess is that you were losing pressure, and the gauge was going to a low reading to warn you of the low pressure, then back up when it returned to normal, in those instances.

And yes, find a new dealer... oil pressures fluctuations are not normal, especially with this dummy gauge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts