RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
And this is most likely what your egr cooler is looking like. It then heats up too much compromising the cooling fins then starts too leak and heat up more. Eventually melting the made of plastic intake manifold. Also if your tube is that bad you may as well take out map sensor and clean it. Once the cooling starts to leak it make the soot extra sticky and hard.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep. My intake melted at 36,000 miles. Got her shut down before it burst into flames (See Massive billows of white smoke as engine goes into limp mode post). Apparently servicing the EGR cooler should be SOP with every oil change (or even shorter interval)...
Dealer has had truck 45 days. They are now “chasing ghosts”. Who ya gonna call?

·
Registered
283 Posts
And this is most likely what your egr cooler is looking like. It then heats up too much compromising the cooling fins then starts too leak and heat up more. Eventually melting the made of plastic intake manifold. Also if your tube is that bad you may as well take out map sensor and clean it. Once the cooling starts to leak it make the soot extra sticky and hard.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
I’m beginning to wonder about the fix on the EGR recall. It maybe more involved than a cooler replacement. FCA might be buying us a new manifold. Not made of plastic. Heat and plastic? Great engineering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yep. My intake melted at 36,000 miles. Got her shut down before it burst into flames (See Massive billows of white smoke as engine goes into limp mode post). Apparently servicing the EGR cooler should be SOP with every oil change (or even shorter interval)...
Dealer has had truck 45 days. They are now “chasing ghosts”. Who ya gonna call?
You didn't let it burn to the ground?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are the CLEANING options? Is there any product that'll clean it for me - - without removal? How to clean the intake soot? Other than removing that too. For now, we spray brake cleaner, wiping inside... Or remove the intake cover - - uggg.

Remove every 3000 miles or oil change

·
Registered
113 Posts
What are the CLEANING options? Is there any product that'll clean it for me - - without removal? How to clean the intake soot? Other than removing that too. For now, we spray brake cleaner, wiping inside... Or remove the intake cover - - uggg.

Remove every 3000 miles or oil change
Be very careful cleaning your intake with it attached to engine. Lots of posts on here warning about it. Chunks of carbon can fall off and end up in places you don't want them.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Oh Boy , don't disturb the soot inside the Intake,
it will do more troubles than good .....

GDE warned member dingdangit about that years ago ...
GDE are experts , so I'll take their advice.
in there , post # 47 :
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/8417-intake-cleaning-3.html
--------------------------
that tube is called diffuser tube , bringing crap from EGR to intake manifiold .
you can also remove the MAP sensor , right next to it , while you are there ,
info here : http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/8313-need-inspect-map-sensor-13k-miles-plugged-80%-shut.html
to OP: your diffuser tube is looking good , powdery deposits ,(( and not oily/greasy look
that would reveal presence of coolant )) , just soot , better to not have it , but if you are
going to have soot , you want the kind you got .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh Boy , don't disturb the soot inside the Intake,
it will do more troubles than good .....

GDE warned member dingdangit about that years ago ...
GDE are experts , so I'll take their advice.
in there , post # 47 :
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/8417-intake-cleaning-3.html
--------------------------
that tube is called diffuser tube , bringing crap from EGR to intake manifiold .
you can also remove the MAP sensor , right next to it , while you are there ,
info here : http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/8313-need-inspect-map-sensor-13k-miles-plugged-80%-shut.html
to OP: your diffuser tube is looking good , powdery deposits ,(( and not oily/greasy look
that would reveal presence of coolant )) , just soot , better to not have it , but if you are
going to have soot , you want the kind you got .

View attachment 84375 View attachment 84376 View attachment 84377 View attachment 84378
@Kazimodo you rock - thanks for the info.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just think how bad it looks on stock engines with 100,000+ miles. I've got 78,000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the settlement modification done on my 2015 with 57,000 miles several months ago. It ran pretty after the modification, but the engine light came on within about 2 weeks. I took it in and they replaced the filter. If I remember correctly, the printed cost of the replacement was around 2,400 and change, cost me nada. And the filter, along with all of the other emission parts is on the settlement life time warranty. I love the truck, even though it is not perfect. I'll probably drive it as long as it runs and they keep replacing the broken / damaged parts for free.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts