·
Registered
881 Posts
Cowboy, which filter did they replace?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Follow Up - a few minutes of soaking, scrubbing, and cleaning...
I cleaned my EGR Diffuser at 96k and 137k. What did you use to clean the inside of it?
I put tape over the holes and put brake cleaner once and sea foam the second time and let it sit for awhile. Due to its shape there really isn't a brush that can fit in it.
The last thing I did was blew out the inside of the pipe with the compressor and tried to make sure that all bits of debris were gone and the inside was dry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m beginning to wonder about the fix on the EGR recall. It maybe more involved than a cooler replacement. FCA might be buying us a new manifold. Not made of plastic. Heat and plastic? Great engineering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My 2015 (140k miles) is in now and the EGR needs to be replaced. It is under warranty from the AEM and recalled. The dealership says the EGR and some kind of bushings needed are on a boat from Italy and won't be here until January. Since the EGR was both leaking on the driveway and vaporizing coolant into the intake for the last little while, what is FCA going to replace in addition to the EGR since the faulty EGR will likely have negative impacts in the engine and downstream in the entire exhaust and DEF system. I guess we'll all be waiting until Dec. 13th when FCA is supposed to make their decision.
For now, my truck is sitting at the dealership and they provided me with a free rental from their lot, 2020 RAM with the 5.7 hemi....cripes it sounds good when you walk on it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My 2015 (140k miles) is in now and the EGR needs to be replaced. It is under warranty from the AEM and recalled. The dealership says the EGR and some kind of bushings needed are on a boat from Italy and won't be here until January. Since the EGR was both leaking on the driveway and vaporizing coolant into the intake for the last little while, what is FCA going to replace in addition to the EGR since the faulty EGR will likely have negative impacts in the engine and downstream in the entire exhaust and DEF system. I guess we'll all be waiting until Dec. 13th when FCA is supposed to make their decision.
For now, my truck is sitting at the dealership and they provided me with a free rental from their lot, 2020 RAM with the 5.7 hemi....cripes it sounds good when you walk on it.
Let’s see how long your truck sits. That boat might have the old EGRs loaded up and they are telling stories to buy time.

Great you got the rental. That’s the correct process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Once the EGR is replaced with a new one there are a lot more damage the this has caused. With the egr leaking coolant and that coolant mixing with the soot making the soot like glue. It will be all through the manifold and the flaps that are in there. They will fail and get stuck. If they get stuck open your good but if they get stuck closed you will need new manifold. I think they call them flutter valves.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
You will notice that the intake past the manifold is a very wet soot from the leaking coolant. Ask the dealership what they are going to do with this. It will cause bad gas mileage. I noticed that my gas mileage deteriorated the more miles i put on. All the stuff i have posted has 60000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
@ smittys95stang ,
they call them "swirl valves ", there is a small electric motor in the intake that opens and closes them ,
see "Iron garden express" ' s thread for more pictures .

·
Registered
12,643 Posts
This entire system is so defective by design and operation my take has always been it is something that cannot ever be fixed. Most all those with serious mileage and no issues are either fully deleted, where all this junk is gone or electronically deleted, where it is all turned off and not used.

There are other diesels on the market today with variations of this equipment that have nowhere near the issues all the Ecodiesels have. It is such a good-running engine but destroyed by this faulty emission design. You can clean all you want but there is no way to make it any good.

Gone or turned off are the only viable options. Now may god help those not mechanically inclined to deal with this design mess. They are literally down and out trying to operated one of these.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@ smittys95stang ,
they call them "swirl valves ", there is a small electric motor in the intake that opens and closes them ,
see "Iron garden express" ' s thread for more pictures .
View attachment 84407 View attachment 84408 View attachment 84409 View attachment 84410
Thank You swirl valves. I have read that they really dont do much and can live with them open or gone. The manifold made by Banks does not have them and is made of metal. I loved my Ecodiesel for the first 60000km but after that the time effort and research needed was way more then I wanted to do. My son had bought a hemi the same time because he could not afford it. Man with the extra cost to buy and truck being in the shop 4 times 3 times map sensor last time egr manifold melt down. I wish i had of done the Green diesel tune. My sons truck only oil changes and a little more cost in gas. But now shes gone and has been replaced with the Worlock Hemi. They need to do lots more work on the Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had to go back to Ram as nobody would give me good money on trade except for Ram. I know the new diesel they are putting the egr after particulate filter but was talking to a big truck diesel mechanic and he said Cummins tried that with no success. He never explained why but I was not really interested anymore.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The gen-3 eco will have a two stage split EGR system. One side of it will take exhaust gases pre DPF (high pressure side) & the other will be post DPF (low pressure side). The easy reader explanation of how this works is that at lower engine speeds the EGR gasses will primarily be taken from the High Pressure pre-DPF side similar to the way the gen-2 does. Then at higher engine speeds the gasses will be primarily from the low pressure post DPF side which should be cleaner & more soot free than the high pressure gasses.

Ram is talking up this new EGR system, but the bottom line is there will still be soot being injected into the intake manifold. Plus it will be a more complicated system with two EGR coolers, a mixing valve and who knows how many new sensors feeding information to the ECU.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The gen-3 eco will have a two stage split EGR system. One side of it will take exhaust gases pre DPF (high pressure side) & the other will be post DPF (low pressure side). The easy reader explanation of how this works is that at lower engine speeds the EGR gasses will primarily be taken from the High Pressure pre-DPF side similar to the way the gen-2 does. Then at higher engine speeds the gasses will be primarily from the low pressure post DPF side which should be cleaner & more soot free than the high pressure gasses.

Ram is talking up this new EGR system, but the bottom line is there will still be soot being injected into the intake manifold. Plus it will be a more complicated system with two EGR coolers, a mixing valve and who knows how many new sensors feeding information to the ECU.
Multiple points of failure. Has this worked in the past?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am interested in the Bullet Proof EGR as well.

Would a well functioning EGR cooler address all of the soot problems? Is the EGR cooler the primary failure point and would replacing it make this engine last longer and solve the majority of the emissions issues people are unhappy with?

By the way this is Bullet Proof Diesels video - EGR Cooler or EGR Delete

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apparently the Bullet Proof Diesel one will work for all generations of the EcoDiesel. I've personally only had experience with a 2018, but it was a good experience.
The OE egr cooler we removed was completely plugged with soot.

·
Registered
10 Posts

If you have the AEM update..don"t forget that the settlement states: Buyback protections if, during the 18 months or 18,000 miles (whichever comes first) following the completion of the AEM, the Eligible Vehicle with the Warrantable Failure is out-of-service due to the Warrantable Failure for a cumulative total of thirty (30) days during the Remedy Period,

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have the AEM update..don"t forget that the settlement states: Buyback protections if, during the 18 months or 18,000 miles (whichever comes first) following the completion of the AEM, the Eligible Vehicle with the Warrantable Failure is out-of-service due to the Warrantable Failure for a cumulative total of thirty (30) days during the Remedy Period,
I will go back and read the settlement statement, is there more after the "Warrantable Failure for a cumulative total of thirty (30) days during the Remedy Period,"? I'm pretty sure it's going to sit at the dealership for more than 30 days.

·
Registered
444 Posts
What would be the payment ( buy back ) on a 2014 ,with 105000 miles ?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts