RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Was just pulling out of my driveway and the truck quit out of nowhere. Now when I turn the key the truck just continually turns over and won't start. Tried to pull codes and got nothing. It ran just fine when I drove it yesterday. Full tank of gas, battery is less than a year old, changed the oil just last month, and all fluids are full up. When I plugged in my OBD2 reader its still showing RPM, and the dash is also showing RPM while cranking, which would lead me to think that it isn't the crank position sensor.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The rpm your seeing is from the camshaft position sensor not the crankshaft position sensor. Disconnect the camshaft position sensor and see if your scanner still shows rpm, it probably wont.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess its time to put the DEF stuff back on, flash back to stock and take it in to the dealership (truck only has 75k on it and has had all recalls minus the EGR done)...

·
Administrator
8,837 Posts
I guess its time to put the DEF stuff back on, flash back to stock and take it in to the dealership (truck only has 75k on it and has had all recalls minus the EGR done)...
Good luck. I'm curious what "DEF stuff" has to go back on>

·
Registered
605 Posts
Easy fix to all this bs will be ecm flash that can run the engine from camshaft sensor in limp mode instead of relying on crank sensor entirely. That way at least you won't have a dead truck in middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to update this: got the truck towed to the dealership on Monday. They're 99% sure the tone ring went out. The service department is doing a huge solid and saying that the ring took out the sensor as well, so it will be covered by warranty. Bad news is the crank sensor is on back order and they're not sure when the truck will actually get fixed now...

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Easy fix to all this bs will be ecm flash that can run the engine from camshaft sensor in limp mode instead of relying on crank sensor entirely. That way at least you won't have a dead truck in middle of nowhere.
that would be an excellent idea .....

·
Registered
605 Posts
^ well some HD cummins engine can run without a crank sensor. But they run de rated on low power and have excessive crank time. At least they DO RUN. This is a good question for GDE, maybe they can work their magic and keep the engine running with the cam sensor??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts