RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am new to the ecodiesel, but I specifically bought it with MPG in mind. I bought my 2016 truck used with 146K miles on it. I have been driving it for 2 months (not aggressively), but I was not able to get my average MPG above 17.5 MPG! It was such a disappointment... I am planning to change fuel and air filter to see if it improves, but I am afraid there is a bigger problem.

I did have a check engine light come on during a long trip (which had something to do with fuel injectors), but after I added a Fuel Injector Cleaner, the check engine light turned off.

Any suggestions? What do I check for?
THANK YOU!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Do you have stock size and rated tires on the truck? Any lift or level kit?

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Few simple things...

1) Where are you? Whats the ambient temps?
2) What kind of driving? City? Highway? Mix?
3) What kind of tires?
4) What was the check engine light code? Do you know?

Don't start throwing parts or money yet. Lets see where you are on the above.

I typically get about 20 - 21 avg for my local driving. this winter - w my snow tires - i am getting 16.2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello! I am new to the ecodiesel, but I specifically bought it with MPG in mind. I bought my 2016 truck used with 146K miles on it. I have been driving it for 2 months (not aggressively), but I was not able to get my average MPG above 17.5 MPG! It was such a disappointment... I am planning to change fuel and air filter to see if it improves, but I am afraid there is a bigger problem.

I did have a check engine light come on during a long trip (which had something to do with fuel injectors), but after I added a Fuel Injector Cleaner, the check engine light turned off.

Any suggestions? What do I check for?
THANK YOU!
I would start with removing your MAF sensor and cleaning it. Is your truck deleted?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that's the lowest MPG I've seen reported on this forum except while towing. Is this hand calculated?
No, this is calculated automatically on the instrument panel. The MPG I mentioned is average for highway and city driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Few simple things...

1) Where are you? Whats the ambient temps?
2) What kind of driving? City? Highway? Mix?
3) What kind of tires?
4) What was the check engine light code? Do you know?

Don't start throwing parts or money yet. Lets see where you are on the above.

I typically get about 20 - 21 avg for my local driving. this winter - w my snow tires - i am getting 16.2.
Hi shaggn85!

1) I am in Denver Metro area in Colorado. It's been a warm winter, with a few weeks exceptions.
2) I do both, city and highway (about half and half).
3) Standard stock tires
4) Unfortunately I don't have the code...

Thank you for the advise. I would definitely like to save where I can :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would start with removing your MAF sensor and cleaning it. Is your truck deleted?
Thank you for your suggestion, I will work on MAF sensor.(y) My truck is not deleted - would that make MPG be so low? I thought that deleting EGR actually improves MPG?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
You sure they are stock goodyear sra?

Mild winter doesn't mean u don't have winter diesel. That kills mileage.

Before you start ripping sensors it to clean, make sure your air filter is clean.

Take the truck out on a level road. Set cruise at 60 mph. Whats ur instant mpgs?

Should be 26-30.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Thank you, happy to see so many responses! The tires are stock size, and I have no lift.
They might be stock size but I'd determine if they're a heavier load rated or determine the individual tire weight per the manufacturer's specs. Anything heavier than the stock tire will cause a hit to mileage, even if it's stock size.

These trucks were designed for efficiency and light tires are part of that design.

Reactions: Dieselfever

·
Premium Member
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
100 Posts
Gas vehicles get less mpg at high altitudes (Denver). Not sure how that might effect a turbo motor, but I would think less oxygen will equal less fuel burning, blown or not.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Yes....altitude and possibly the shit AEM tune. Get the dealer to flash the updated tune. Also consider a proven performer tune like GDE.

·
Registered
121 Posts
They might be stock size but I'd determine if they're a heavier load rated or determine the individual tire weight per the manufacturer's specs. Anything heavier than the stock tire will cause a hit to mileage, even if it's stock size.

These trucks were designed for efficiency and light tires are part of that design.
Even the same size with a slightly more aggressive tread can make a difference. I had that happen to me on my last Ram. I lost 2 mpg just because of a slighty more aggressive tread.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts