RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
I’m driving a 2015 with winter tires at the same altitude. My last tank was 22.2 from 30% city 70% highway in the mountains. That particular tank had two bikes hanging out the back. I drive pretty fast. I also have a GDE tune.

Something is not right, but you really need to do hand/Fuely calculations. The only time I’ve gotten 17 is when I’ve had a slide in camper in the back driving across Kansas at 80+ with a wicked headwind.

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GDE Hot Tune, Rebel front end conversion.
236 Posts
I get about 17 mpg hand calculated. Many of my trips are short and there was quite a bit of idling time to warm up the engine. This is with winter fuel in a Central NY state winter, using hot shots edt. I think my avg speed for one of my last tanks was only 25 mph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for your suggestion, I will work on MAF sensor.(y) My truck is not deleted - would that make MPG be so low? I thought that deleting EGR actually improves MPG?
Correction MAP SENSOR which gets full of soot if your truck isn’t deleted. I cleaned mine when my truck had 17k miles and it was full of soot. There are various videos on YouTube to do the quick job

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,203 Posts
Hello! I am new to the ecodiesel, but I specifically bought it with MPG in mind. I bought my 2016 truck used with 146K miles on it. I have been driving it for 2 months (not aggressively), but I was not able to get my average MPG above 17.5 MPG! It was such a disappointment... I am planning to change fuel and air filter to see if it improves, but I am afraid there is a bigger problem.

I did have a check engine light come on during a long trip (which had something to do with fuel injectors), but after I added a Fuel Injector Cleaner, the check engine light turned off.

Any suggestions? What do I check for?
THANK YOU!
I get that kind of crappy mileage, but it's full bore winter in Alaska, lots and lots of long warmups, slow driving, cold, cold, and more cold. I saw 16 mpg once, usually in the 18-20 mpg range in winter. Plus winter grade fuel just don't perform as well as that good old straight stinky Louisiana #2 diesel, I got 16.4 mpg on a tank of that stuff towing the RV on one perfect, no wind, flat and steady driving day. As I was filling up at the diesel pump, I said to the dude on the other side of the island about how stinky the diesel was, with a refinery right behind me. He says in that southern tongue; " OHHHH, yea, that's the gooood stuff there!" He wasn't kidding. The same load in the Yukon I filled up with clear #1 diesel, I about ran out before we got to the next town, 10.5 mpg, it was close but we made it. Fuel matters.

But even in winter, fill it up and drive to Anchorage (50 miles one way) and home, and the mileage can kick right back to 30 mpg, with 4x4 engaged the whole time.

Short commutes with winter fuel, long stationary warmups, and slow driving make for lousy mileage.

In the summer with the usual driving I average about 22-26 mpg. I can get over 31 mpg on the highway. Towing I get about 14-15 mpg.

I am tuned GDE pre EPA, the "good one".

The other fellows gave you some good pointers to look for. I use Cooper HT3 Highway tires, Type E too, heavier, but they really don't hurt the mileage much.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,203 Posts
Gas vehicles get less mpg at high altitudes (Denver). Not sure how that might effect a turbo motor, but I would think less oxygen will equal less fuel burning, blown or not.
Its a turbo charged engine, so I don't think altitude matters, as least not on my travels it does. And we have traveled all over. Half of my 45,000 miles is from towing, we live in that thing in the summer, man right now we are about to bust out our guts, effing snow, dumped another foot yesterday, uhg.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Lots of good suggestions above, also check the air filter.

I have a 2016 and have always run Load E tires one size larger than stock. My mpg has gone down drastically after the EPA mandated flash, but I still average about 22.5 hwy, and maybe 18.5 average. This is down 5 mpg from when I had my GDE tune and I averaged over 26.5 hwy.

What's aggravating is that when this was new, before I added the GDE tune, the truck got about 24.5 mpg hwy and average was about 20.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
MPG Checklist:

1. Inspect Air Filter
2. Replace Fuel Filter
3. Maintain proper tire pressure
4. Lift truck and inspect wheel for noisy bearings / inspect brake assembly
5. Consider using a suggested fuel additive
6. Inspect and clean EGR tube
7. Inspect and clean MAP sensor
8. Consider and research a tune
9. Use a fuel station that maintains fresh fuel and their facilities

Good Luck! (y)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fill truck
Go to freeway/interstate
Set cruise between 65-72mph
Reset fuel evic
Drive 50 miles

Report back what mpg you get. Almost everything you read for best mpg is highway numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello! I am new to the ecodiesel, but I specifically bought it with MPG in mind. I bought my 2016 truck used with 146K miles on it. I have been driving it for 2 months (not aggressively), but I was not able to get my average MPG above 17.5 MPG! It was such a disappointment... I am planning to change fuel and air filter to see if it improves, but I am afraid there is a bigger problem.

I did have a check engine light come on during a long trip (which had something to do with fuel injectors), but after I added a Fuel Injector Cleaner, the check engine light turned off.

THANK YOU!
I'm getting 20mpg in town 24 on highway the dealer had mine for over a month

·
Registered
29 Posts

THANK YOU!
Sell it and buy something else. These are horrid trucks unless the GDE upgrade has been installed. Cut your losses and run!!!!!!!! My truck has been in the shop for over 60 days in the 5 years we have owned it. I made the mistake of capitulating to the service writer at my stealership who insisted replacement of a wiring loom would fix the regeneration problems we were having. That was over 4 years ago. The tone wheel failed (at 86K miles) two weeks ago. The vehicle is still in the shop, un-repaired. At the same time the radio amplifier quit as did the driver seat heater. We purchased the extended warranty with $100 deductible thank the almighty. The stealership can't determine if the the tone wheel repair is covered under the factory warranty or not. Again, thankfully we had the software recall performed so we weren't left stranded when the tone wheel failed. I am now searching for a 7.3 Ford 4x4 that I can upgrade and modify. I will never, ever, freaking EVER by a new POS Dodge, Chevy or Ford vehicle again. If Mercedes built a pickup truck it would be in my driveway now!!!!!!!! Most of the posters on this site are either full of crap or exagerating the performance of their trucks.

·
Registered
10 Posts

THANK YOU!
I have 2016 /eco diesel 4x4, 114000 miles no issues other than factory flash. Using Green Diesel tune I get 22mpg +. towing a 26 ft travel trailer 6500 lbs + i get 13 mpg all mileage is verified by miles and fuel, the computer is much more optimistic. when i had the factory tune my MPG was close to yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sell it and buy something else. These are horrid trucks unless the GDE upgrade has been installed. Cut your losses and run!!!!!!!! My truck has been in the shop for over 60 days in the 5 years we have owned it. I made the mistake of capitulating to the service writer at my stealership who insisted replacement of a wiring loom would fix the regeneration problems we were having. That was over 4 years ago. The tone wheel failed (at 86K miles) two weeks ago. The vehicle is still in the shop, un-repaired. At the same time the radio amplifier quit as did the driver seat heater. We purchased the extended warranty with $100 deductible thank the almighty. The stealership can't determine if the the tone wheel repair is covered under the factory warranty or not. Again, thankfully we had the software recall performed so we weren't left stranded when the tone wheel failed. I am now searching for a 7.3 Ford 4x4 that I can upgrade and modify. I will never, ever, freaking EVER by a new POS Dodge, Chevy or Ford vehicle again. If Mercedes built a pickup truck it would be in my driveway now!!!!!!!! Most of the posters on this site are either full of crap or exagerating the performance of their trucks.
Careful on the Mercedes, the Sprinters are one of the worst nightmares out there! dying sensors are a weekly trial.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Bighorn 4x4
3 Posts

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!
Hey there, I just recently left Colorado I’ve never seen less than 19 and that’s strictly in town red light to red light. My tank averages at the moment 20.9 and the truck sits 3-5 days a week. Even when I go to grand junction it does 25 mpg with cooper at3 xlt 10 plys cruise at 10 over. It’s truly how you use the truck. Short trips are the killer, not getting to operating temps and stuck in active regen dumping fuel. These trucks need solid 15-20 miles from start up for consistent high mpg, mine take 7-10 miles to get to temp. Even towing through Kansas with a loaded uhaul 6x12 18 mpg doing 73, low as 13.5 with high winds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 with 36k miles and am experiencing the same thing! Im in California with temps in the mid 60’s. Stock tires. No tune. New EGR. New EPA tune. I do have a level. Averaging 17-18 in the city! It’s super annoying as the truck used to be a lot better.
I think it may have something to do with our check engine light. I had one come on. Reset it. And then noticed mileage going to crap. Hasn’t come on since. I’ll be replacing the fuel filter and cleaning the MAP after reading this thread. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts

THANK YOU!
I have an 2018 in ca and I get 20 avg. up to 24 freeway long distance

·
Registered
11 Posts

THANK YOU!
If it has had the recall for the emissions done maybe that is part of it. Check out Green diesel Engineering for a tune to fix the recall on it. You can read all the threads about it. You may not notice the difference if you didn't own truck before the recall tune was done. I took mine in and did the recall and drove straight home and re-tuned with GDE. Truck feels better then it did even before the recall re-tune. It's a must.... Oh course my compensation for the cheat more then covered the cost of buying the tune from GDE.

·
Registered
3 Posts

THANK YOU!
Has the intake manifold been cleaned/serviced? Has the MAF sensor been cleaned? I've got a 2016 with 129K. I'm getting 27mpg with average speed of 35 mph on this tank. I drive with the cruise 90% of the time in the city and have the GDE hot tune including transmission. Tire pressure 39 on Bridgestone Dueler AT3 rubber.

·
Registered
5 Posts

THANK YOU!
Winter fuel will give lower fuel mileage.
Don't drive it like a gas motor. Diesel motors develop torque at lower rpm's and do better between 1500-2200 rpms.
Hoagie

·
Registered
4 Posts

THANK YOU!

Your first priority should be to go to the NHSTB and type in your vin number. The 2014 to 2019 Ram eco diesels are replacing the EGR coolant valve reason being the trucks go on fire without warning. My truck went up in a ball of fire and Ram chrysler is in denial of any wrong doing. They have recalled 118k trucks in the US 25k in Canada and an additional 15K else were.

If your truck is slugish thats another recall and its as serious you can stall when entering an intersection from a paused position.
the Fuel filter needs to be replaced and the emissions sensor panel was recalled two years ago so follow up at a ram dealership.

My truck did go on fire and it was bad. I do like the eco diesel but the 1500 class has its problems take good care and do not park it in your garage or near your home.

JS

·
Registered
2018 Outdoorsman
4 Posts
I just bought a used 2018 and the register was reading 17 litres/100 km. I've driven nearly 1000 km and drove that down to 12.2 - in a couple of weeks.

The aggressiveness of the throttle is going to be the biggest factor in fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 45 Posts