RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,125 Posts
Without a trace, Everybody has heard of the 90 yo granny who had smoked since she was 9 and never got lung cancer. Doesn’t mean it’s a good recipe. No disrespect but apparently you have yet to learn about what set up right a modern WDH will do for you over the best possible scenario you described. My post above might be a good read especially if you tow with your family in the cab. Oscillating sway would be another thing for you to look up and read about. Last the old add on friction sway bars you describe are a part from the 70s that have been obsoleted. Although some remain and you can still find them in the clearance bins next to the air shocks for use with old style WDHs that didn’t have built in sway control.

But you are right about what toddod has to do with what he is left with to work with. Well aside from renting a dually. And that is balance the weight over the trailer axles best as possible and to drive slow so as to minimize risk.

Without a WDH if the trailer is way tongue heavy and you can’t redistribute it’s weight you can relocate your truck spare & tailgate to the back of the trailer offset some of that TW while also removing weight from the worse place (in this case) right behind your drive axle. Airbags are only going to help to a point afterwhich they stiffen the teeter totter fulcrum IE your drive axle and help the fat kid trailer lift up the skinny kit front of your truck to remove weight off your steer tires and so that center of gravity and control is changed to where the truck is like your when standing on your heels.

I’ve towed a 9100 pound box with my ED. It worked ok with good weight distribution but would have been a dangerous mess to drive without it at least with the softly sprung lightweight ED.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have the Airlift 1000 in my truck and I’ve pulled 9000lb+ for at least 5000 miles now with just the hitch pull no problem. The key is correctly balancing the trailer, and I have a Weighsafe hitch ball to measure the tongue weight. I have never had any issues from the south of Arizona to the cold of the Pacific Northwest.

For me, a WDH is a lot more work for not that much benefit on a trailer that frankly isn’t that heavy. Plus the first time you forget to disconnect them and make a tight turn or try and back up and you’ll be bending those bars. The trailer dealer told me themselves: There are only two people who need weight distributing hitches. People who tow massive trailers, and people who drive like assholes.

Having put thousands of miles on it, I’m inclined to agree.
What weight do you aim to set your tongue at with 9000lbs?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Ive towed or 30-foot TT over the years with to many different trucks to count. The 1/2 tons have have been a 1994 chevy, a 1997 chevy, and a 2011 chevy. All of them did OK without weight distribution and much better with it.

I have towed it with my current non air ride 2015 ram and will not get on the road without the weight distribution hitch set up, it is squirly, easily the worst handling truck ive ever towed with when things get a little heavy on the back end. The coil springs ride good empty, but they absolutely SUCK when it comes to carrying a load. I would take leaf springs in a heart beat over these! Yet with the WDH it handles and drives like a dream.

Don't care what someone says, 9000 is not nothing, especially with these pickups.

·
Super Moderator
3,125 Posts
I’d shoot for 12 percent of gross trailer weight to tow a box at 65 behind a 1/2 ton. IE 1,080 tongue weight on a sherline scale or 1,080 as added to your combined truck axle weight as seen on a CAT scale whether or not you are using a WDH. Naturally your distribution between the drive & steer axle will look a lot better with the WDH.

As to a 9k boxy enclosed car hauler TT/TH not being a lot to tow with an ED or any 1/2 ton ever tow it over a long 6 grade, in severe heat wind or slick conditions. Last you know 1,100 pounds is the max receiver rating right?

BTW 1,180 TW works well behind a 1/2 ton Ram with good steer & drive axle weight distribution but not nearly as well with only air bags and likely a “white knuckle” mess with only the uber soft factory spring rate of the 4th gen Ram 1500.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I would take leaf springs in a heart beat over these! Yet with the WDH it handles and drives like a dream.

Don't care what someone says, 9000 is not nothing, especially with these pickups.
Leaf spring setups, even in a halfer, tow so much better than these 5-link setups. Night and day difference.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well I am hoping I have enough room to install a WDH I will respond back with my results later this month.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts