RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site and love it. I am wondering if anyone else has had the same issues. The truck is brand new and I love it but the night was -19 C in the city and sat overnight for 9 hours without being plugged in. In the morning it would not even try to start with push button or remote start. It just cancelled itself every time. Why is this?? I plugged it in for 3 hours and started no problem. Next night plugged in on timer for 3 hours and when I got outside to start it it would not turn over because the timer was done. I plugged it in and it started up in secs. Why must it be plugged in? if I go in the country and dont plug it in will it every start? Is there a fail safe and how do I defeat it? Any help would be great thanks all.

·
Administrator
8,391 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

From the Owners Manual:

The engine block heater is a resistance heater installed in
the water jacket of the engine. It requires a 110–115 Volt
AC electrical outlet with a grounded, three-wire extension
cord. Its use is recommended for environments that
routinely fall below -10°F (-23°C). It should be used when
the vehicle has not been running overnight or longer
periods and should be plugged in two hours prior to
start. Its use is required for cold starts with temperatures
under -20°F (-28°C).

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
I could see if the truck had a good cold soak overnight not wanting to start right away. Granted there are many members on here that have no issues starting in much colder weather without plugging the block heater in at all.
The part where you state you plugged it in and it started up in seconds leads me to believe there is something wrong with possibly the glow plug system? or maybe a weak battery?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I never saw that passage in the manual. I might be hosed this coming week. I am on a trip and coming back right in the middle of the coldest snap of this winter. Looks to be pretty close to -20F when I arrive at night. The truck will be thoroughly cold soaked after sitting several days in the cold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you letting the glow plug circuit do its thing? How long did you wait after turning the key to start? I just turn my key to start position and let it return to the run position, some days (in the summer) it will crank instantly and others (In the winter) it can sit for 10+ seconds before it starts cranking. If you are being impatient and turn the key back it will cancel the start.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm a few hours north of you and enjoying the same temperatures. My truck sat for 3 days until yesterday and it started no problem without being plugged in. I prefer to plug it in lower than -20C but didn't expect to be driving it. This will be my third winter with this truck and I've started it in much colder temps than this without being plugged in so yes I would think yours should also start without issue.

When you say "it would not even try to start with push button or remote start" did it crank or nothing at all?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Have a 2014 and never had an issue when snowmobiling up at my hunt camp. Truck would sit for several days at those Temps or lower without issue. Sounds like something else is awry.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Welcome and enjoy mort ! Weak batt is my guess, starting my 3rd winter and never a problem starting . Coldest I've tried was 27 c below sitting outside over nite no problem.

·
Registered
472 Posts
when you plug it in; it isn't connected to the trucks battery system, all its doing is warming the block which warms the coolant and the oil; for it to be so dead that it doesn't start, then start on its own after block heater engaged; leads me to think it isn't the battery

so if plugging it in is making the difference my guess is that the pre-heat system on the truck is failing and it isn't letting the engine go into start mode
you'll want the dealer to fix it

mine has sat over weekends -30'sF; has always started so far not plugged in; but it will take a while after you hit the start button for it to cycle the pre-heat they crank when its that cold

·
Registered
929 Posts
Mort_13;366745I plugged it in and it started up in secs.[/QUOTE said:
As noted, something else is in play because plugging in the block heater would have zero immediate impact on the engine's ability to start.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I quickly read your post again, is the truck cranking over and not starting? Or won't even crank over on cold mornings. As mentioned above, if it is cranking over, the issue is pointing towards the preheat system, if it is not, then likely a battery issue, bad battery or constant battery drain (something plugged in?) that only becomes apparent when more cranking amps are required because of colder engine fluids etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You do know that when you turn the key to start, or use the pushbutton,
it's not connected directly to the starter like trucks of old - the computer
decides when it's ready to start. So if it's really cold out, pushing the button
will tell the computer "Hey, I'd like to start my truck. Can you please warm up the
glow plugs, and check things over, then crank it when you are satisfied everything
is OK?"
I don't know how long this will take @ -19C (what's that, about -2F?) but it's
not gonna be right away

·
Registered
641 Posts
You do know that when you turn the key to start, or use the pushbutton,
it's not connected directly to the starter like trucks of old - the computer
decides when it's ready to start. So if it's really cold out, pushing the button
will tell the computer "Hey, I'd like to start my truck. Can you please warm up the
glow plugs, and check things over, then crank it when you are satisfied everything
is OK?"
I don't know how long this will take @ -19C (what's that, about -2F?) but it's
not gonna be right away
My experience it is not that long, not much longer than a summer start (at least on my2014). Quite different from my 2006 F350 Powerstroke....it always started also , but was quite a noticeable glow plug warm up period when it was stupid cold out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys thanks for all the info, I let it try to start for 15 min it is brand new so maybe a breakin period is needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
i agree with you about using more cranking amps in cold but it would not even try to crank at all. The computer did not let it at all. it would time out and not try. It is push button. The battery is new no drain on the electrical at all no low lights or anything. It shows 14 V on the meter . I am at all loss I am going to let it sit all day in -20C today and see what happens if it will start at all.. Fingers Crossed.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I heard you guys are getting blasted at the moment (tee hee), was poking my friend in Calgary earlier in the week, he was enjoying -30 and we were sitting at +3 ......I know what goes around , comes around....and it is heading east. Good luck with the truck.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
One of the steps missed is when cold at times up must keep you foot pressing on the Brake. People jump in step on the brake hit the button (let off brake) the brake feature times out and the truck won't start, Jump in step on the brake and hold Press start button let the GP module time out and the truck should turn over and start. when really cold try it twice, but no more before waiting, if you override the system the GPs get hot and burn out, the Duramax is notorious for burned GPs

1 - 20 of 41 Posts