RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted to this forum a little over a year ago when I experienced a complete engine failure. In Nov 2017 the HP fuel pump failed sending metal filings through the fuel system and eventually seizing the #2 cylinder. The tech pulled a sample of fuel from the tank, put it into a plastic water bottle, and declared it fuel contamination. Chrysler immediately voided the warranty and refused to accept a lab analysis showing the fuel to be within normal limits. After 4 months insurance eventually covered replacement of the motor & the fuel system (but not the tank & lifter pump). In October 2018 the truck failed on the highway again...This time the fuel tank & lifter pump were determined to be both contaminated. These were replaced. January 2019, the vehicle quit again on the highway and this time a new dealership has determined the entire fuel system is again fouled.

All of the work after the engine replacement has been on my dime (insurance has now backed away) and I'm not willing to pay to have it replaced again (I'm presuming right now that the motor is still ok). Will be seeking another formal fuel analysis test but beyond this anyone have any thoughts on how best to proceed?

I'd tried appealing to Chrysler last year to remove the VIN restriction so at least I could purchase an extended warranty but they refused (not sure why since the entire motor & fuel system were brand new). Still owe 15K on the truck but if entire fuel system must be replaced again I would rather consider it a complete loss. I just don't trust it any longer and I know I cannot count on Chrysler.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
There's more to the story for one person to have so many repeated fuel-related failures. There's a root cause and I don't believe it's the truck.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Seems very strange. Taking the story at face value I would make a couple comments

1-Where are you getting your fuel?

2-What is unique in how you are using the truck?

3-Perhaps the system wasn't cleaned out properly the first time and crap was left somewhere downstream of the filter.

4-I have never heard of a failing HP pump causing a cylinder to seize. This makes no sense to me.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,173 Posts
Anytime you read about someone having multiple failures of the same thing you have to wonder if that person has really bad luck or there is some mitigating factor causing the failures.
It might be worth checking the gas stations where you fill up if any other people have reported contamination failures.
It may be sabotage whether intentional twords you or just a random attack, you may want to invest in locking fuel caps to rule out future issues.
If these failures all have been determined at the same dealer, you have to wonder if the tech(s) just don't know what they are doing (it happens more than you think). You may want to to find a shop that specializes in diesel repairs and have them repair the fuel system. It will probably be done right and cheaper than the Ram dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first failure was at 33K and the 2nd failure at 41K. Both times the fuel level was below 1/4 tank. I do not discount the possibility that (1) the system was not properly cleaned or parts that needed replacement may not have been replaced for it to fail a 2nd time, or (2) that because I typically purchase fuel from just a few locations that I'm getting contaminated fuel. If it is fuel contamination then how is it getting past the filter with what appears to be great ease and why am I not hearing more about this locally?

Checking with the gas stations is what insurance and the dealer says but these are busy stations with high volume and the chance of me being able to prove that they are the root cause is exceedingly low. I'm leaning towards having it repaired and seeking a reasonable trade-in. Bummer cause I really liked this truck.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Ouch.

Get a reasonable independent shop do the repairs to get it running. Then "run" away from it. Too many negative factors to make it worth wading through to figure this out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts