RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016, which IS different than previous years in most aspects of the lighting system, so preferably looking for advice from people with a 2016. I am wanting to install nice LED reverse bulbs, as well as OPT-7 LED pod lights in the bumper. My questions are:

1 - will LED bulbs work in the factory housings? I imagine they will. They are CANBUS bulbs also.

2 - will I be able to wire pods directly into the OEM reverse bulb wiring?

3 - if so, is there a way I can run the pods and reverse lights at the same time?

Anyone with experience please let me know. I do not want to have to run a switch for the reverse pods, only looking to hard wire.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Look up AutoLED on Facebook. I've changed out all my exterior bulbs to LED using their products and haven't had an issue.

·
Super Moderator
3,970 Posts
If you want to run auxiliary reverse LED pods, run them off the reverse light wire in your 7 pin trailer plug. Someone tried powering pods off the taillight reverse wiring and kept getting bulb out errors. 15s are picky just like the 16s for bulb errors.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want to run auxiliary reverse LED pods, run them off the reverse light wire in your 7 pin trailer plug. Someone tried powering pods off the taillight reverse wiring and kept getting bulb out errors. 15s are picky just like the 16s for bulb errors.
Do you know which colors the wires are? Plus, it should work fine since my boat trailer has no reverse lights anyways, correct?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curt makes a T harness that let's you easily tap into the trucks trailer wiring.
Can you provide a link?

With this, the reverse bulbs in the tails will work also, correct?

·
Super Moderator
3,970 Posts
Curt T-harness part# 55384
Trailer plug wiring is a separate circuit from taillight circuits in the truck. Both will work simultaneously.
The reverse connection in the trailer plug is commonly used for surge brake lockout

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trailer plug wiring is a separate circuit from taillight circuits in the truck. Both will work simultaneously.
The reverse connection in the trailer plug is commonly used for surge brake lockout
Is there any way to hard wire? I don't want additional connections hanging off my bumper. I'd think it would be possible to wire into the back side of the 7 pin plug. Or do you have any pictures of this installed?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This replaces the plug itself it looks like. Never seen this and trying to find more pictures. How do the LED lights wire up or plug into this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone? Needing guidance how to mount flush mount led pods and wire into this Curt system, or factory wiring.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Anyone? Needing guidance how to mount flush mount led pods and wire into this Curt system, or factory wiring.
I am looking into doing the same thing. I really don't like to cut into factory harnesses so the T connector seems to be the best option. The T connector is simply a "breakout" for the wires. all of your factory lighting will stay the same.
As for cutting the hole, like was said, a good sharp hole saw for round lights. Square holes have a couple of options. using a template drilling a hole in two corners diagonal from each other big enough for a metal jig saw blade. Then cut with the jig saw to connect the corners. Take your time and cut slowly and follow a template. Be sure to cover the rest of the bumper with masking tape to protect the chrome or paint. you could also use a Saws all with a metal blade.
The other option is to use a metal cut off wheel witch may be faster but would create more heat and sparks ( NOT a good Idea if your bumper is PAINTED) and the corners would still have to be finished off with a saw.
I think that I will b using the jig saw with some New metal cutting blades.

Let us know how u make out and what lights u end up using. Pics would b nice.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
I tried the reverse led bulbs in the rear light assembly, turned out to be a boondoggle, they wouldn't fit. I resorted to the other method, 2 small LED assemblies just the right size to mount either side of the trailer hitch with a small piece of aluminum plate, stainless nuts and bolts. They are hard wired into the trailer reverse and ground wire as shown in previous posts. The LEDs were only $39 ea on sale and light up quite bright. One of the other members has installed them also recently.
IMG_0281.jpg

·
Registered
929 Posts
I tried the reverse led bulbs in the rear light assembly, turned out to be a boondoggle, they wouldn't fit.
I have a spare set of reverse LEDs from Auto LED. They're the ones I originally purchased, then they sent me some even brighter test samples. Send me a PM if you're interested and I can mail them to you. If you don't like them, just send them back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts