RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I read a few weeks back somewhere that the new Ram 1500 EcoDiesel's engine for 2016 has been reworked. I believe the article mentioned something about improved Regen cycles or more efficient DEF consumption etc....

I'm curious if anyone else has come across this or anything in general about what changes the 2016 has vs the 2015. Interested specifically in the engine but I'd also love to know if there's anything else that's changed between model years.

Right now I am looking at leftover 2015's vs the new 2016 EcoDiesel, appreciate anything you guys know of that might help me make a smart decision.

Thanks in advance

Jeff
~First Time Diesel Buyer

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a 16 on order so can't really help. I have read pretty much the same as you in another thread. Supposed to be more responsive but no one who has a 16 answered my question about that, so I'm waiting for mine. There are box lights in the back now as I understand, that will be a nice add.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are no significant changes to the 2016 mechanically. I have not seen any evidence of tuning tweak other than Butt dyno reports. Gde would probably be able to tell you if the 16 has a different flash compared to the previous years.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,388 Posts
There are no significant changes to the 2016 mechanically. I have not seen any evidence of tuning tweak other than Butt dyno reports. Gde would probably be able to tell you if the 16 has a different flash compared to the previous years.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
I think you are correct.

Here's the article Ram 1500, Jeep EcoDiesel Engine on Ward's 10 Best for 3rd Straight Year - Torque News and what GDE said about the combustion changes for the 2016

GDE
"The combustion related changes that they touted in the article have been in place since the start of the 2015 model year, and are also part of all service releases for the '14 model year. This is a huge improvement over what originally launched at the start of the '14 production, but is still a quite smoky engine compared to the other European competitors."

Some more info on the 20165. 2016 Dodge RAM 1500 Diesel | 2016 / 2017 New Trucks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i believe the biggest changes are more cosmetic and minor tweaks in the interior. from a powerplant stand point, suspension, etc. there is no difference in a 2015 to a 2016. The expected 'refresh' of the 1500, and at this point nobody knows what that means and if it includes the EcoD, isn't expected until 2018. in other words, if it came down to model year only, you aren't gaining or losing either choice.

·
Registered
12,806 Posts
As said above - no major changes. What is talked about are minor "tweaks" in the computer programming to affect the topics you were concerned with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was wondering about this too. I ordered my limited ED was built November 25. I am a member in the Ramforumz site so spp was tracking my pickup. A couple days into shipping of my truck a bunch of trucks went into a QA code. Spp said the trucks were all Ecodiesel and we're getting a software update before they could be shipped out. He didn't know what the update was. I never asked my dealer when I picked up truck as it was week before Christmas and I only had 1 day free to pick the truck up, and it slipped my mind. They tuned something though for Ecodiesel trucks...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Im REALLY curious if it has the same Oil cooler on it. From what I can gather, it seems to be a somewhat marginal design. Would be nice to get a pic from off a dealer lot of a 16'.....hmmmm..... UHOH, gives me an idea.........................................
D

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'm going to make a wild ass unsubstantiated claim. There are NO mechanical changes on the 2016 model year motor big or small. There are probably some software updates. Those updates will be added to all Eco diesels at some point if deemed beneficial.

I believe there were some cylinder head improvements they did earlier this year but I think those were already captured on the 2015 motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just took my 16 in for oil change and they did a software update. Mileage dropped from 23.8 to 21.2 MPG. Drove about 600 miles and cannot get it back up to the 23+.
It feels like shift points have changed.
I had a 2014 for 15000 miles and that never dropped under 23 MPG.

·
Registered
74 Posts
they did a PCM flash at my last oil change i drove about 1500 over the weekend and my mileage went up from 26.5 to 29.5 which i haven't seen since my truck was new (15000 miles ago
)

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Just took my 16 in for oil change and they did a software update. Mileage dropped from 23.8 to 21.2 MPG. Drove about 600 miles and cannot get it back up to the 23+.
It feels like shift points have changed.
I had a 2014 for 15000 miles and that never dropped under 23 MPG.
are you sure they didn't put in a 15w40 oil?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Drove to Gettysburg Dec 2015 got 28 on the way there and 27.3 the way back. After dealer flash update I averaged 30.1 mpg going to Gettysburg (April) and 28.2 the way back. Could be the Summer blend but my mpg avg has been up since the flash. I drive about 65-70 mph. I had a def fault and hard 6-5 shift which is why they did the update. Very pleased.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I asked a diesel repair guy if there were any engine changes on the 2016 Ecodiesel, and he said the only change was that Motori replaced the cam drive gear bolt with a stronger alloy bolt to preclude the bolt from stretching over time and causing slippage of the cam gear.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts