RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oregon resident here. Picked up from a local dealer as a certified pre-owned a few days ago and loving it so far. 28k miles but is immaculate inside and out. Has already had the FCA V08 recall performed but that's all the more reason for a tune. Haven't decided on GDE/SKT yet.

·
Super Moderator
3,865 Posts
Welcome to the forum fellow Outdoorsman owner...your making a good first impression, we like pictures!

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Looks aggressive and clean. Like it.

In Oregon you have the option of GDE. Just south of you that option is not available. Waste no time. Do the GDE. It is simple, reasonable, effective, and has a H U G E positive track record.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leaning toward GDE for those reasons. Just have to scare up the $$ to make it happen.

Looking forward to towing my camper with it -- 26 ft Keystone sitting at around 6500 lbs. Been hauling it with a 2016 Touareg TDI (wife's car), which does just fine with it but lands pretty close to its max capacity.

Other plans include minor cosmetic stuff and a shell for hauling the dogs around during camping. Leaning toward Leer 100XL but not 100% decided yet.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Nice!

I have a similar 2015 but mine is two tone with black in the lower portion. Tows our 26ft/5k lb Jayco Jayflight 264BH just fine with stock tune and 3.55. In my opinion an Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch is more important than a GDE tune for towing.

I want to debadge the chrome Ram 1500 badges and add an all black EcoDiesel badge.

P.S. if you have towing questions ask away... listen and take to heart everything that VernDiesel says. He helped me out tremendously.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Leaning toward GDE for those reasons. Just have to scare up the $$ to make it happen.

Looking forward to towing my camper with it -- 26 ft Keystone sitting at around 6500 lbs. Been hauling it with a 2016 Touareg TDI (wife's car), which does just fine with it but lands pretty close to its max capacity.

Other plans include minor cosmetic stuff and a shell for hauling the dogs around during camping. Leaning toward Leer 100XL but not 100% decided yet.
This side lifting window, or door, on my ARE cap is called something like a "Sportsmans' Door". That allows access and ventilation to the bed and service from outside. With a large screen opening in that "door", it was touted to me as an option for keeping animals happy, healthy and accessible. I wanted it to get to my fuel tank and ease adding and removing other items from the bed. Very pleased with the idea.
5-15 how to fill by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good looking truck! Not gonna lie, an Outdoorsman with a leather seat swap would be my perfect truck.

I contemplated GDE vs. SFT. Went SFT. Trans tune is in, and can’t wait to get the ECM tune in next. I’d talked to GDE a couple of times, and just wasn’t impressed with my discussion with them. They’re knowledgeable, but manners go a long way. Previously had PPEI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice!

I have a similar 2015 but mine is two tone with black in the lower portion. Tows our 26ft/5k lb Jayco Jayflight 264BH just fine with stock tune and 3.55. In my opinion an Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch is more important than a GDE tune for towing.

I want to debadge the chrome Ram 1500 badges and add an all black EcoDiesel badge.

P.S. if you have towing questions ask away... listen and take to heart everything that VernDiesel says. He helped me out tremendously.
Nice, good to know. Going to see how she does with the trailer before I do any ECU stuff. Already have a weight distribution hitch which has worked great with the Touareg. Just have to get out and make sure the drop isn't way off or I'll need to swap it out.

Debadge is probably in the future too.

BTW, nice truck. Read through your build thread and learned some useful stuff!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This side lifting window, or door, on my ARE cap is called something like a "Sportsmans' Door". That allows access and ventilation to the bed and service from outside. With a large screen opening in that "door", it was touted to me as an option for keeping animals happy, healthy and accessible. I wanted it to get to my fuel tank and ease adding and removing other items from the bed. Very pleased with the idea.
Nice, had no idea that was available until now. Definitely going to look into that. Perfect for what I'll be using it for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good looking truck! Not gonna lie, an Outdoorsman with a leather seat swap would be my perfect truck.

I contemplated GDE vs. SFT. Went SFT. Trans tune is in, and can’t wait to get the ECM tune in next. I’d talked to GDE a couple of times, and just wasn’t impressed with my discussion with them. They’re knowledgeable, but manners go a long way. Previously had PPEI.
I'm split between the two. Time will tell but I may end up going SFT based on price and options.

Leather was the only item on my wish list that this truck didn't have -- everything else was exactly what I was after.

Today's trip into town and back -- surface streets and freeway -- with stop and go traffic on the way back. How is this thing so efficient?!?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm split between the two. Time will tell but I may end up going SFT based on price and options.

Leather was the only item on my wish list that this truck didn't have -- everything else was exactly what I was after.

Today's trip into town and back -- surface streets and freeway -- with stop and go traffic on the way back. How is this thing so efficient?!?
Jimmy and the crew have been quick to respond and spent whatever time necessary to help me, even when I didn’t read the instructions completely, haha.

I bought a set of leather seats for mine. Time I sold all my cloth seats, I had about 15-1600 in it, with heated and ventilated front seats, and as soon as I sort out how, I’ll have heated rears, too.

With a stock ECM tune (post V08) and the SFT trans tune, I’ve been showing 20.x, but I’ve got big cow killer bumpers and a level with some 10plys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just cosmetic stuff in the queue for the next couple of weeks.

Debadged doors.

Exoforma ceramic coating is next.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Good looking truck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts