RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade the stock bulbs on my 2106 Laramie to HIDs and am looking for any recommendations you might have for vendors and/or specific products. I'm currently looking at Xenondepot, DiodeDynamics and the Retrofit Source but am open to others.

From my readings I need a 9005 bulb but am confused on what options are required. Some have both PWM and Anti-Flicker options displayed on their sites.

Oh, I am looking for a pure white light and like that the first two vendors have 5000k. TRS only seems to have 4500k and 5500k. I'm not sure how much perceived difference there so maybe this isn't really an issue. I do know that I HATE blue headlights.

Also I noticed that XenonDepot offers a "Volt" and "XTR" kit. I think the latter is just a higher quality product as it does come with a longer warranty but the options between the 2 are different as well, namely the Anti-Flicker and PWM mentioned above.

Lastly, anyone know what color temperature stock LED headlights are? I know GM, Ford and RAM all have LEDs out now, just not sure what temp they are.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Check out Headlight Revolution. See my sig for what I installed. Fairly easy and absolutely the best upgrade I’ve done. You’ll thank yourself every time you drive at night.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
The LED's in my '16 Projectors, highs, and fogs are all Titan brand. Plug and play. I hate blue headlights too, and these 6k are perfect.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

@ PapaCap, what made you go with the 55w versions instead of 35w?

@ Bounty Hunter, Does that mean that your lows are LEDs too? Could you please reference the website for their products? Titan LED appears to be industrial LED lighting. There's also some stuff about Nissan Titan LED lights, haha.

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,487 Posts
The downside to using HIDs in the High beams is the warm up time and they don't like to be turned on/off rapidly like when flashing to pass. Stick with LEDs in the highs.
Whether you go HID or LED in the headlights, considering using AlfaOBD to set the headlights to High Intensity Discharge lighting, it eliminates the PWM voltage regulation. Many guys don't even run a relay set up for 35W HID kits this way(less to mount and go wrong).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too went with the 35 watt HIDs. I didn't hear about AlfaOBD till after they were installed, so I might get around to doing that one of these days. I do agree it was a pain to mount the resistors but so far they're working great. This is what I bought:
2015+ Mopar: Morimoto Elite

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm definitely sticking with HIDs for the low and LED for the fogs. I'm not sure I'll update the Highs as I rarely use them.

I read a great thread on an LED low comparison from Underground Lighting on another forum and decided to give them a call. Danny, the owner I believe, picked up an answered all my questions on HID and LED, confirming what I've read hear and in other posts. I'm leaning towards their 35W HID kit and will report back the outcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts