RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
You looking for shock recomendations or a how to?

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You looking for shock recomendations or a how to?

Mike
Has anyone found a brand that fits with the air suspension. Bilstein, Fox, King make rear shocks for a 2016 ram, but all say will not work with factory air suspension.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
52855791AD Is the oem part number for rear shocks with air ride. Its the same part as some other none air ride variations so most aftermarket shocks should work fine. Personally I well use blistens or fox when mine need replacement.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The oem shocks can certainly be replaced by a better shock, err, the oem shocks are certainly not the quality of a good aftermarket shock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I called the dealer on this because i want to replace mine. I have 47000 miles in my truck with air suspension. Do the dealer calls it the spring and shock absorber and they are sold individually for $1400 not the pair, that's the front and the rear for $580. That doesn't make any sense to me. They called it sping and shock. Any help here

·
Registered
744 Posts
Run from that stealer (dealer) as they are way over bilking you. They will always try to see how savey you are and bill accordingly. Find a small independent if you are not able to do yourself. Look for references from others in your area. You might find it cheapest to buy the shocks of your choice and have them installed by yourself or the independent you can find.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've replaced the suspension on several Jeeps so one of the first things I looked at when I got my '14 Ram was the factory air suspension - and I was bummed. Unless I'm not looking at things correctly the reality is the "springs and shocks" are actually one unit. There is no shock separate from the 'spring' since the spring is actually the air lift bag - and the shock is integral to the system.

I'm at 62,000 miles and there is some wheel hop that a good or new shock would prevent - I'd like to add a good set of Bilsteins but I'm pretty sure those of us with factory air suspension will have to replace the air suspension units and are subject to Mopar's pricing :(

Bob

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm on the same boat and this is what my truck looks like. I took a picture while installing new tires. So the rear are independent but the front are integrated. So we need info on the front ones , at least I do.
Just go to a mopar online website and you will see the front ones are running between $850 to $1000 a piece.
First get the part number off of the old one

·
Registered
68 Posts
$1k each????? How long did they last?
I’d love air suspension truck for those mother in law trips but she ain’t worth that much.
Anyone take the air system out and go back to springs and struts? I imagine with the replacement cost or speciality towing situations someone would want to.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Anyone take the air system out and go back to springs and struts? I imagine with the replacement cost or speciality towing situations someone would want to.
I notice some Rebel owners have, but they seem to go after a different (lifted and agressive) after market system, not what I would want.
If we want to go back to springs, it might be best to find someone "mod"ing their ride, and buy the OEM parts off them. There should certainly be some of those people around... and you could sell your parts later on, cuz I bet many people will be needing air suspension parts in the future.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I replaced my factory rear shocks (air suspension) with Bilstein 5100 (24-187374) and the improvement was significant. i replaced them because one of my shocks was leaking and I felt my ride was a little bouncy (not enough dampening) and the Bilstein 5100 are well worth the small amount of money they cost. If you're doing this, quick tip, remove your fender liners and the job is super easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2016 Ram 1500 front shocks on factory air suspension

Has anyone replace the front shocks with air suspension. I know they are one single unit but I heard there are companies that will disassemble the whole thing and install new shocks. Then you will have brand new shocks with the same air bag. Anybody have info on this or other methods

1 - 20 of 40 Posts