RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,the worst has happened to my EcoDiesel.
When I bought this truck I really thought the RAM truck would last.
I was able to get a new engine, however, I am unable to get any information about what engine they put back in.
The engine will be warrantied until October 2020 and then i am on my own.

I towed 7000lbs maybe once a month for 50 miles and 1000lb twice a month for 50 miles round trip.
All staycation type towing here in San Diego, tried working with RAM to get an extension since the motor had a catastrophic failure.
At this current juncture the FCA is not willing to do anything for me with the motor in the future, no warranty on a new motor, the end as Melissa says.

Long story short, think long and hard before you pay 53k for an EcoDiesel, it may not last like a normal diesel motor!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
August 29, 2020 - 6:00am truck breaks down with loud grinding noise towing Jet Ski 25 miles to San Diego Bay, towed on a flatbed.

August 31, 2020 – 9:00am, show up to have truck inspected for problem. Service advisor tells me they will contact me ASAP, but they have 3 other EcoDiesel’s with motor trouble. I asked, so they have motor trouble, service advisor stated that this year was not a good motor. HMMMMMM.

August 31, 2020 – 3pm, receive call from service advisor letting me know some sort of catastrophic failure and they will be replacing the engine, not to worry, I have 2 months left on my power train warranty. How long will this take, he said I will know more in 48 hours because we have 3 trucks ahead of you with this problem and they have been sitting here for months. The motor is on back order 2-3 months. I told him that I had my yearly vacation planned on September 11, 2020 at Mission Bay and my life revolves around that truck. I asked if I could get a rental so I could tow my 7000lb trailer and jetski.. No, you are not allowed to tow with any rental vehicle. I told him if I do not have any options, could they make me a great deal on something.

August 31, 2020 Sales Manager calls me with last deal of the month trick, I said I would have to think about this, 6 years of new payments!!

September 1, 2020 - I talk to the service Director and he states that he is working with Enterprise to get me a rental truck but I cannot tow with it, so I would have to tell them I have a bike rack so I could tow the JetSki. No talk about my truck status or when the engine will be in. I told him that I was taking a vacation and need a truck, not much he could do.

September 2, 2020 - I talk to the sales manager and he comes back with everything he can think all day, but he wants to pay off my truck and give me 18k total and I owe 14k. I asked why so low, he stated that this truck would sit in his inventory for 2-3 months until the new engine comes in, and my truck needed new tires. I asked that is only 4k for my truck after you pay it off, I paid 53k for that truck. So I said I guess I will wait for a new engine. I was out of options and did not want another 6 years of payments at $590 a month.
I was pretty close to buying a new truck, and I wanted my vacation.

September 2, 2020 – I cancel reservations for 1 month stay, my stay-cation, my only vacation for this pandemic year.

September 3, 2020 – I am told to come pick up a truck from the dealer, they pulled a truck off the lot and I can use it, only has 37 miles on it, Fire Engine Red. I said, great, I finally get a rental after 4 days. I asked to get the soccer equipment form my other truck why I was there. The service advisor said, OH, you need to get into your truck, aaaaaaaaaa No Problem. So I go to my truck and wow, there is someone under the hood. I said I am here to get something out of the truck plus I needed to get my current proof of insurance. I asked what the mechanic is doing, he says, your engine came in yesterday. WTF!!

So the bells and whistles went off, I see, this is how it is done!!!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I could be wrong here and hopefully someone else will chime in but, I think you will have a new warranty on that replacement engine. Not sure what exactly it would be fo years and mileage but there should be warranty on it.

As far as the shady antics, that is why I hate dealers so much. certainly sounds like they were trying to get you to buy a new truck by lying to you about how long you’d be without yours.

·
Super Moderator
3,311 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I know it seems traumatic when you lose an engine. Fortunately with the Ecodiesel FCA warranties them for 5 years or 100,000 miles. If you had a gasser you would have been out of warranty at 60,000 so FCA would not have picked up your bill. Some guys have been able to buy a warranty on a new engine and certainly its worth inquiring about.

My first engine developed the common leaking EGR cooler which lead to low coolant and I believe the cause for my pushed head gasket. That was at 371,000 miles. So I chose to buy a new complete crate engine (like you will get) in part for the 24 month unlimited mileage warranty and for that it came with the hi pressure fuel pump and new turbo IE expensive items if they were to go out on my existing truck. That motor now has 340,000 plus miles. I transport TTs for Mfgrs to their dealerships nationwide so my truck tows daily hence the miles.

Consider investing in an aftermarket tune for longevity (not the factory/government detune you likely have now) cleaner combustion and some with turned off exhaust gas recirculation for cleaner oil and less bearing wear. Bearing failure is most commonly what causes these fail. Oil often lasts 7,500 or 8k miles before turning dark instead of 2,500 or 3k. Plus better power, better mileage, and an engine brake for holding speed down a mountain pass when being pushed by your travel trailer. This engine brake is very reassuring and is in part why I have only put on three sets of brakes in 700,000 miles. A tune will also dramatically lessen the check engine light & occurrences as the emissions issues are dramatically curbed. Last if you have not already had your EGR cooler deleted or replaced you should see if they will do that via warranty if not consider and EGR cooler delete if and when you invest in a tune. Here is the most common companies that provide tunes for our trucks.

Green Diesel Engineering

Having a 7k Travel trailer you likely already have air bags and or a WDH weight distribution hitch but since I have links handy I will post two that are well supported by forum members.

Reactions: Jinx and Dennisvab

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have had the old GDE egr shut down hot tune my truck was written off, I have a new to me 2016 I need a tune for now but GDE dose not offer a tune anymore that completely shuts down the EGR. When GDE was shut down they recommended HD Diesel Supply saying they have a more refined tune than the others, I see they still offer the tune that completely shuts down the EGR. HD Diesel is not in the U.S. so they can do that. I think I'm going to go HD Diesel.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have had the old GDE egr shut down hot tune my truck was written off, I have a new to me 2016 I need a tune for now but GDE dose not offer a tune anymore that completely shuts down the EGR. When GDE was shut down they recommended HD Diesel Supply saying they have a more refined tune than the others, I see they still offer the tune that completely shuts down the EGR. HD Diesel is not in the U.S. so they can do that. I think I'm going to go HD Diesel.

Jinx....not true. GDE will sell you the old tune if you are in Canada like your profile states. Call them and get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Personally ... I'm done with FCA. Don't know what else I'd buy but FCA is a redundancy in failure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Jinx....not true. GDE will sell you the old tune if you are in Canada like your profile states. Call them and get the ball rolling.
I hope GDE still sells the EGR shut off version to Canada I just need to find money in the budget by some miracle to afford the peace of mind an EGR shut off tune like GDE can give you. I don't need EGR I can't afford it, the increased fuel economy is a real bonus.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Personally ... I'm done with FCA. Don't know what else I'd buy but FCA is a redundancy in failure.
The 2020 is supposed to be a Big improvement and I can see that it is no question probably a 90% improvement. For Example the 2020 takes Exhaust Gases into the EGR *after the DPF * which of course filters out the crap that plugs your intake manifold, more torque, more HP, more fuel economy, less problems.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I hope GDE still sells the EGR shut off version to Canada I just need to find money in the budget by some miracle to afford the peace of mind an EGR shut off tune like GDE can give you. I don't need EGR I can't afford it, the increased fuel economy is a real bonus.
Confirmed !!! EGR still shutdown in Canada 🇨🇦

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could be wrong here and hopefully someone else will chime in but, I think you will have a new warranty on that replacement engine. Not sure what exactly it would be fo years and mileage but there should be warranty on it.

As far as the shady antics, that is why I hate dealers so much. certainly sounds like they were trying to get you to buy a new truck by lying to you about how long you’d be without yours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, according FCA customer care 866-726-4636, any chrysler/Mopar Part installed on vehicle carries a 3 year/100,000 warranty as described, IN FAVOR OF THE CUSTOMER.
Now I have to convince the rest of RAM to honor it. Still fighting!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Name Here,
I just spoke to my Area Manager from FCA REDACTED, and he confirmed the document that was sent to you from Customer Care is the prevailing document, “whichever is most favorable to the customer” , so you have the factory backing you need.
Thank you,

Wow it only took me a week on the phone to get an answer that the dealer solved in one email.
In Short, NEVER GIVE UP!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
My Name Here,
I just spoke to my Area Manager from FCA REDACTED, and he confirmed the document that was sent to you from Customer Care is the prevailing document, “whichever is most favorable to the customer” , so you have the factory backing you need.
Thank you,

Wow it only took me a week on the phone to get an answer that the dealer solved in one email.
In Short, NEVER GIVE UP!!
Frack'n miracles do happen, Charlie Brown.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am sorry about loosing your engine. I am sure it has been very frustrating but I am glad it was under warranty even though you had to fight for it.

My 2016 which I bought the end of 2016 has 249000 miles. I too have a GDE tune. Comparing these trucks between stock and GDE tuned is night and day and I agree with Vern on the importance of tuning your truck.

I use my truck for work, hence the higher mileage but a lot of my miles are on rough gravel roads traveling to gold mines carrying a lot of weight and I am surprised how well this truck has held up. The front end is still tight, haven’t put brakes on it and no problems with any of the drivetrain including the engine and the air suspension too.

I hope you get your truck back soon and I encourage you to follow Vern’s advice and your truck will give you a lot of trouble free miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts