RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,470 Posts
There were minor changes in the Ecodiesel engine after 2014 and before the 2020's came out. There are some members here, including moderators, that have a whole lot more knowledge on the changes made than the vast majority of us forum members.

Still, there seemed to be a reduction in blown engines starting around 2018. Reduction is not elimination but there sure seems a reliability change for the better around that time. My guess is there were production changes that affected a positive change in reliability. With that thought I would HOPE the newest engine supplied would be the best of the generation before the good 2020's.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
531 Posts
...... This is the first ive heard of fca having multiple different designs for the same generation engine crank and bearings this would make engine repairs a logistical nightmare if they actually changed the design 15 times in 6 years... Ive heard others like GDE mention the bearings are wider on the 2020+ gen engines but thats it.
I think they would have tweaked the design every time they had a recall and sometimes when they didn't. Mine is a late '19, and I hope that, as Captainmal said, that reliability is improved over the earlier Gen2s.

·
Registered
181 Posts
There were minor changes in the Ecodiesel engine after 2014 and before the 2020's came out. There are some members here, including moderators, that have a whole lot more knowledge on the changes made than the vast majority of us forum members.

Still, there seemed to be a reduction in blown engines starting around 2018. Reduction is not elimination but there sure seems a reliability change for the better around that time. My guess is there were production changes that affected a positive change in reliability. With that thought I would HOPE the newest engine supplied would be the best of the generation before the good 2020's.
I find that hard to believe. My 2016 lost first engine in 2019 with 83k miles. Second engine made it 11 months and had 22k miles. Now my 3rd engine is at 35k miles and 15 months old. Runs good.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
447 Posts
Interestingly enough the you tube video I shared is saying the crank assy and bearings did not change, yet ive read elsewhere they have.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,470 Posts
I find that hard to believe. My 2016 lost first engine in 2019 with 83k miles. Second engine made it 11 months and had 22k miles. Now my 3rd engine is at 35k miles and 15 months old. Runs good.
So the second engine was what year of production?

There were production changes but what the replacement engines are is unknown. Also, some 2018 and 2019 engines failed. Just not at the same rate as the earlier ones.

Bet that first one and then the second one ran good until the no longer ran. May this one now outlive both of the others.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to hear that your engine failed. My 2016 1500 failed on March 22, 2022 at 33,809 miles. It still sits at the dealer to this day. FCA has identified that they are taking appropriate measures to have the dealer look at it, but so far the truck hasn't moved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thought I'd chime in hear also, we purchased a 2018 Ram 1500 Eco diesel in March of 2021 , the truck had 22k miles on it. Fast forward a month ago and at 32k miles the engine blows. Truck was towed to the nearest Dodge Ram dealer, after a month of back and forth between the dealer and FCA they denied the warranty claim even though the powertrain is still in effect. They refuse to tell us why its been denied nor will FCA take our calls. We filed a complaint with the local attorney general and we've tried to get in touch with the original dealer who sold us the truck, but have had zero response. Unsure what to do at this point other than to get in touch with an attorney since nobody will talk to us. FCA clearly knows there's an issue with these eco diesel engines and is on the defensive.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
FCA they denied the warranty claim even though the powertrain is still in effect.
This is really surprising. FCA has been replacing EcoDiesel engines under warranty without issue for the past 7 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is really surprising. FCA has been replacing EcoDiesel engines under warranty without issue for the past 7 years.
We've read thread after thread on various forums stating that claims have been denied to others also. The most frustrating thing is that they won't even speak to us. We now own a $40k hunk of junk.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
We've read thread after thread on various forums stating that claims have been denied to others also. The most frustrating thing is that they won't even speak to us. We now own a $40k hunk of junk.
Legitimate warranty denials are not common on this forum. I've even seen FCA pay half of the warranty claim when an engine failed outside of the 100,000-mile warranty period by a few thousand miles. You need to reach out to @RamCares.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, sad to say I'm joining the one of what looks like many who have experienced engine failures with their EcoDiesel trucks. I purchased mine used (from a Dodge dealership), had 68000km on it at the time of purchase. I've owned the truck for two years and at 129000km I now need a new engine. Not sure exactly how or why, so maybe I could get some insight here. I was driving home when I got an alert on the dash saying oil pressure was low. I checked the oil pressure gauge and it was bottomed out. The engine turned off shortly after. I pulled over, checked under the truck to see if anything was leaking and could not find anything. Couldn't see anything out of the ordinary under the hood, mind you I'm no mechanic and don't know a whole lot about engines and the like. I started the truck back up, the oil pressure gauge returned to normal and there didn't seem to be anything else out of the ordinary. No message on the dash, no check engine light, everything seemed normal. Chalked it up to maybe the electrical glitching out. I put it in drive and after about 200-300m I started hearing a knocking coming from the engine. Pulled over again and checked under the hood again, and the knocking just seemed to get worse. Shut it off and got it towed back to my place. I brought it to a local diesel repair shop where they told me it needed a new engine, and said it was likely related to needing a new EGR valve, which I had an outstanding recall for (I was not made aware of this at the time of purchase) and that it should be covered by Dodge, even being 30k km past warranty. I took it to the nearest Ram dealership and they told me it had nothing to do with EGR valve, and that the connecting rods were blown. I found it odd that they had complete different opinion so I took it to a different dealership and they confirmed what the previous had said.

So here I am, 2 years after purchasing the truck and needing a new engine. I contacted FCA Canada and they basically told me I'm shit out of luck because I'm so far past warranty and there was nothing they could do for me. I guess my question for you all would be what could have lead to this? Truck is mostly highway driven, all oil changes and maintenance was done on time. I was very easy on the truck, have never towed anything and was always very easy on the gas. Dealership tech told me they couldn't tell me why it happened without taking the engine apart and that would just add even more to an already expensive fix - I was quoted $21k CAD, 15k for the engine and 6k for labor. Not very enthusiastic on adding to that. Any insight would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has an avenue to maybe get some help from Dodge on the repairs I would super appreciate that too.

Cheers
Check to see if the the previous owner participated in the emissions law suit. There was a significant warranty extension that included more items than you would think. Depending on the mileage at the time of the repair (as part of the class action law suit) the EGR may be covered under warranty. You can find out about the law suit but searching on google

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, sad to say I'm joining the one of what looks like many who have experienced engine failures with their EcoDiesel trucks. I purchased mine used (from a Dodge dealership), had 68000km on it at the time of purchase. I've owned the truck for two years and at 129000km I now need a new engine. Not sure exactly how or why, so maybe I could get some insight here. I was driving home when I got an alert on the dash saying oil pressure was low. I checked the oil pressure gauge and it was bottomed out. The engine turned off shortly after. I pulled over, checked under the truck to see if anything was leaking and could not find anything. Couldn't see anything out of the ordinary under the hood, mind you I'm no mechanic and don't know a whole lot about engines and the like. I started the truck back up, the oil pressure gauge returned to normal and there didn't seem to be anything else out of the ordinary. No message on the dash, no check engine light, everything seemed normal. Chalked it up to maybe the electrical glitching out. I put it in drive and after about 200-300m I started hearing a knocking coming from the engine. Pulled over again and checked under the hood again, and the knocking just seemed to get worse. Shut it off and got it towed back to my place. I brought it to a local diesel repair shop where they told me it needed a new engine, and said it was likely related to needing a new EGR valve, which I had an outstanding recall for (I was not made aware of this at the time of purchase) and that it should be covered by Dodge, even being 30k km past warranty. I took it to the nearest Ram dealership and they told me it had nothing to do with EGR valve, and that the connecting rods were blown. I found it odd that they had complete different opinion so I took it to a different dealership and they confirmed what the previous had said.

So here I am, 2 years after purchasing the truck and needing a new engine. I contacted FCA Canada and they basically told me I'm shit out of luck because I'm so far past warranty and there was nothing they could do for me. I guess my question for you all would be what could have lead to this? Truck is mostly highway driven, all oil changes and maintenance was done on time. I was very easy on the truck, have never towed anything and was always very easy on the gas. Dealership tech told me they couldn't tell me why it happened without taking the engine apart and that would just add even more to an already expensive fix - I was quoted $21k CAD, 15k for the engine and 6k for labor. Not very enthusiastic on adding to that. Any insight would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has an avenue to maybe get some help from Dodge on the repairs I would super appreciate that too.

Cheers

Cheers
Dump the thing, I have a Eco diesel, 142,000 miles, still running good, been taking good care of it for 6 yrs. You inherited the problems. For 21k you can invest in a new one.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Cheers
I have a 14 ecodiesel you should a warranty to 160.000

·
Registered
3 Posts

Cheers
I'm sorry for you trouble! Are you stock? EGR intact? Any tunes?

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
447 Posts
I have a 14 ecodiesel you should a warranty to 160.000
I believe the warranties are effected by resale.. I have a 2015 with 125k on it I bought used last year. The AEM was done in 2019, but I have no warranties that im aware of

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
I believe the warranties are effected by resale.. I have a 2015 with 125k on it I bought used last year. The AEM was done in 2019, but I have no warranties that im aware of
If you are referring to the AEM warranty, the warranty transfers if the vehicle is sold.

From the Official Court-Approved Legal Notice

The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty will not void any outstanding warranty. If there is a conflict between the Extended Warranty and any outstanding warranty, that conflict will be resolved to your benefit. The warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first. In no event shall the Extended Warranty apply to or provide any coverage for Eligible Vehicles after May 1, 2029. In the event that an Eligible Vehicle that has received the Approved Emissions Modification is resold, the remaining Extended Warranty Period, if any, is transferable to subsequent purchasers and shall continue through the date or mileage determined in this Paragraph for the benefit of such subsequent purchasers.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Cheers
Sorry to hear this, I had same issue with my 2015 I was at 98,000 so I just made the cut. They tore engine apart with a inspector from Chrysler to make sure it was no fault of mine( never did I think they would admit to it) but they concluded that the bearing was junk and replaced the whole engine. Took about a month I now have only 30,000 on it and it runs better then first one

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sorry to hear this, I had same issue with my 2015 I was at 98,000 so I just made the cut. They tore engine apart with a inspector from Chrysler to make sure it was no fault of mine( never did I think they would admit to it) but they concluded that the bearing was junk and replaced the whole engine. Took about a month I now have only 30,000 on it and it runs better then first one
Its not the bearing that was junk its the crank design/ metalurgy which allows it to flex when the engine load is just right like a tuning fork it starts resonating and more or less whobbles in the center, wiping out one or both center bearings (#2 and 3.) It likely tolorates this abuse so many times until at one point it just grabs into the bearing and spins it.

According to the lead engineers comments on you tube they corrected the issue on the 2020+ models by using a stronger/ rigid material for the crank and bed if I understood his english correctly. they also claim the crank and block/bedplate design is otherwise unchanged but Ive read different, if they are the same demensions theres a good chance they might be putting these improved components in the backordered engines they are building now.

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
Its not the bearing that was junk its the crank design/ metalurgy which allows it to flex when the engine load is just right like a tuning fork it starts resonating and more or less whobbles in the center, wiping out one or both center bearings (#2 and 3.) It likely tolorates this abuse so many times until at one point it just grabs into the bearing and spins it
Your guess could be a good one, but if it's a design flaw why do over 90% of the engines not fail?

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Your guess could be a good one, but if it's a design flaw why do over 90% of the engines not fail?
“Keep in mind, most engine failures on this platform failed below 60,000 miles, although there have been a good number above that. The low hour failures would point to assembly plant issues with the line bore operation, crank straightness, bearing sorting and block distortion compensation. I have been to Cento, IT assembly plant many times and there is room for improvement.” - GDE

Reactions: Kneebull
21 - 40 of 46 Posts