RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums here. Stepped down from an '01 Cummins to a '17 Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel because I don't need that big of a truck anymore. Bought this truck in May and love it so far. Looking forward to using these forums to learn the ins and outs of this new-to-me engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for the greeting and the compliment. So far everything is smooth sailing...

·
Registered
20 Posts
You will wish you had your cummings back the 150” eco is a burn up waiting to happen with all the EGR ,sling engine rings ,engine blow ups .

·
Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4 bone stock
46 Posts
welcome, my last 2500 was also an 01, while i don't require the use of that offering any longer, i have always been "intrigued" by diesel and have owned a few, i also joined to learn the "need-to-know" stuff loving my 16 w 60k mi at this point but buying up stuff now to delete, best of luck that is a beautiful truck (y) i agree tune it ASAP;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have always driven diesel pickups all my life...5 years with an '83 Chevy K10 4x4, 13 years with a '93 Chevy K2500 with the 6.5L TD, and then 15 years with the '01 Ram 2500 and the 24V Cummins. No trouble other than routine maintenance from any of them.

I drive about 40 miles one-way for work every day, and so far I am very impressed with the mileage I'm getting out of this truck. Right now the average is 24.7 mpg, and I like that a lot. At that clip I'm well on the way to cutting my fuel bills by 40% so I hope it holds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I traded a giant 3500 4x4 CTD fr my 17 ED. So far I'm loving it. It's the Lane Star Edition and it's really nice. I didn't pul the giant RV anymore and it was just too much truck for me. This one suits me better for what I'm dong now.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I traded a giant 3500 4x4 CTD fr my 17 ED. So far I'm loving it. It's the Lane Star Edition and it's really nice. I didn't pul the giant RV anymore and it was just too much truck for me. This one suits me better for what I'm dong now.
Tune it ASAP for a happier truck and a happier you.

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
No, I'm not going to tune it. I have a warranty and I'm not going to compromise that.
Sure understand your predicament.

As you read around you will find information on some of the issues your Ecodiesel might develop. If that happens the solution, under warranty, is often time-consuming and ineffective. Still it is good to know what can happen and then you can best plan on how to deal with it. A GDE-style delete is but one option. Yes, that can compromise warranty coverage yet I put on over 100,000 miles with mine and GDE, getting warranty coverage from the dealer and FCA with no problems.

Now hopefully you will continue to enjoy your new truck with no issues. Some are able to do that and have done that for thousands of miles. May you join them in satisfaction but learn what to do if you need help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I debated deleteing and tuning my 3500 many times but never did. My final debate with it was again to keep and delete or trade for something more economical. It was almost paid off, so there was that debate too. I knew I didn't lke the Ford urbo-v6's (whatever it was you call them) and I certainly didn't like the Ram plain v6 so it became the Eco vs 5.7 Ram. My son got an eco Ram and I really liked it so that's what I went for. I've got a solid lift up bed topper on it if someone is interested. I'll make them a good deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There's also something personally that I won't go into but three years ago, I had to start over from zero with all my finances, so I have to be aware of what I'm spending. I have thought about at least adding the Edge monitor so I can watch some things. Two weeks ago I found where I could set the trans and oil temp to display and that was cool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm in the same boat...my truck is a Certified Pre-Owned unit, and I have warranty until February of 2025 so I want to get as much of that coverage as I can.

But I still look forward to learning lots in the meantime... 🙂

·
Registered
19 Posts
One thing I was disapointed with. My dealer showed me thier service bay and pointed out "the guy" that services all the vehicles that goes on the lot for sale. They assured me he was top notch and he personally serviced my truck. When I buy a vehicle that is not brand new, step one is to completly service it, even if someone says they just did. Maybe they did and I'm wasting $200 and an afternoon, but I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing for sure it was done. In my case, it was a good decision. The dealer hadn't serviced anything and my $200 was well spent. I followed that up with an email to the two people that told me it had been done but I've got no response.

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
The number one issue a dealer has is to SELL something.

Service can be a crap shoot of good and bad. Responsibility and integrity also vary with the dealer. When they sell, make money and can sell more no matter what they say - they win. You lose.

·
Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4 bone stock
46 Posts
I hope the people that choose the warranty route have great service;), i am looking for longevity, with minimal interest in any increase in performance (maintain current level is good for me) ;) (y) and two things help me with the route i am running, i have been burnt with a Extended warranty, even though i am meticulous about upkeep, ends up the part that failed was not covered (imagine that) and the primary reason i have chosen a full delete is i have seen and heard what has been the "Achilles heel" of this and other platforms 😢 , best of luck to all with which-ever "level" of protection you choose;)(y)

·
Registered
396 Posts
If a failed item on your truck was specifically listed or not included in what the warranty covered you didn’t get screwed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts