RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well....it happened to me. *UPDATE #1 BELOW

I'll begin with stating that I've never been pleased with the performance of my 2017. I have a feeling its because of the EPA tune that came force fed on mine, but the thing has always been a dog and musters a pathetic 19, maybe 20 mpg at best. I have never seen the MPG #'s 2014-16 owners are seeing.

Either way, I pay VERY close attention to my truck, always have. My oil changes have been done at the purchasing dealership, I have no mods on the truck of any kind. I've noted that the truck has been smelling "hot" lately, like burnt metal...but I saw no dip in MPG of the typical lackluster performance. One morning it was knocking loudly for a bit, but I wrote that off to it being below zero outside.

Driving home Fri night, temps in the mid 30's, the truck began knocking...then louder and then louder. Driving along, I immediately turned it to the engine stat display. Coolant temp was the typical 208-210F, but the oil temp spiked in the low 230's, something I've never seen before. Oil PSI was decent, typical 30 range driving along.

I limped it 5-7 miles to the dealership, the thing was struggling to stay in the 55 mph zone (the speed limit on the road I was on). Buy the time I got it to the dealership, the thing sounded like a metal garbage can full of marbles. I pulled into the service bay, they already knew what was going on. They gave me a loaner and told me they'd be in contact with me. I personally know the sales manager and his 2017 Eco dumped guts at just over 25K miles...he forced FCA to do a buy back. He claimed he's going to do the same for me, I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they do a buy back , you going for another EcoDiesel? Maybe Next Generation?
There is no way in this green earth I'd ever buy one of these again.

Honestly, I don't (fully) blame FCA, or VM, I blame the EPA. At this point, if they're going to choke diesel engines to death and make it illegal to do anything to them to remove the crushing equipment they force makers to have on them...I see no reason to ever own a diesel again, ever.

I'll say that I'm not getting my hopes up for a buy-back. If I had to take a stab, I'd say that they'll replace the engine and it may or may not pop when I hit 60K miles...

Sadly, this thing has depreciated out from underneath me...sad figuring how far ahead of value I was when I bought it (deep discount + large down payment). At this point, I came to terms with the fact that I'm just stuck with the thing.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Honestly, I don't (fully) blame FCA, or VM, I blame the EPA. At this point, if they're going to choke diesel engines to death and make it illegal to do anything to them to remove the crushing equipment they force makers to have on them...I see no reason to ever own a diesel again, ever.

I'll say that I'm not getting my hopes up for a buy-back. If I had to take a stab, I'd say that they'll replace the engine and it may or may not pop when I hit 60K miles...

Sadly, this thing has depreciated out from underneath me...sad figuring how far ahead of value I was when I bought it (deep discount + large down payment). At this point, I came to terms with the fact that I'm just stuck with the thing.
You'd feel much different about the truck if you tuned it. Much better performance, no lag, no soot coked EGR/intake, long lasting engine, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well that sucks. So sorry about your truck. I hope that the dealership treats you well.
It sounds like there was a problem with that engine from the beginning with your fuel mileage being that low.
As far as I know there has been speculation but no real proof that epa emissions have contributed to a blown ecodiesel engine. Especially one that has only 27k miles on it.
Please let us know what you find out was the cause, if you have time.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It sounds like there was a problem with that engine from the beginning with your fuel mileage being that low.
Definitely possible it had a leaky/defective injector (would explain the worse fuel economy and eventual engine failure).

·
Registered
255 Posts
My evic is showing 17.5 mpg right now. At least 75% freeway. I've said this many times before, my MPG is poor. Most free way trips have my instant at 21-22 mpg. It went up 1 mpg with GDE engine and tranny tunes. I have had the dealer look at the issue a few times. They never find anything wrong. I'm at 76k miles now. 3-4 months left of my powertrain. I hope it blows up before then. Don't think it will. Don't think poor economy has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Coolant temp was the typical 208-210F, but the oil temp spiked in the low 230's, something I've never seen before. Oil PSI was decent, typical 30 range driving along.
Oil PSI is not a gauge reading. The Oil PSI is a computer guess.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I get 22mpg driving 85mph. GDE stage 2 engine and trans. Amsoil in everything; axle, trans, engine. I got 34.5mpg on my last 50 mile trip at 65-70mph. Would had been 35 but I let it idle while making a head call.

I would suggest the OP get a used oil sample but with the high oil temps that would had evaporated diesel fuel in the oil.

·
Registered
823 Posts
My evic is showing 17.5 mpg right now. At least 75% freeway. I've said this many times before, my MPG is poor. Most free way trips have my instant at 21-22 mpg. It went up 1 mpg with GDE engine and tranny tunes. I have had the dealer look at the issue a few times. They never find anything wrong. I'm at 76k miles now. 3-4 months left of my powertrain. I hope it blows up before then. Don't think it will. Don't think poor economy has anything to do with it.
JMHO, but I think 99.9% of mpg issues are related to driving style. My dad used to complain about his last truck's mpg. Said he never got over 9 mpg in his Tundra. I drove it for awhile and got 16-17 mpg. He drove my ED for awhile and got 21-22 mpg. I got 28-30. Same trucks, same climate, different driving styles.

·
Registered
255 Posts
While I agree that driving style definitely plays in to one's overall MPG ratings, my driving style never really changes. There will always be the occasional quick acceleration that we all do, but for the most part I would say my driving style is very conservative. I drive the exact same route to work every day. CC at 73mph every time, both ways. There are several flags along the way that I watch for wind direction and speed. Overall I can say that with the same conditions, I have seen anywhere from 15 (this morning which I hope was due to regen, but I don't know) to 30mpg on the instant in the same areas.

Anyways, my point was that I don't think my fuel system is right, but I don't think that's the cause of the engine failures as my truck has had poor mileage from day one and is now at 76k miles.

·
Registered
718 Posts

FCA is at fault. There are millions of medium duty and heavy duty trucks on the road for nearly 2 decades with EGRs, DPFs, and SCR equipment. I don't buy it. This is a FCA screw up and they just won't fess up. Personal opinion, of course.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well....it happened to me.

I'll begin with stating that I've never been pleased with the performance of my 2017. I have a feeling its because of the EPA tune that came force fed on mine, but the thing has always been a dog and musters a pathetic 19, maybe 20 mpg at best. I have never seen the MPG #'s 2014-16 owners are seeing.

Either way, I pay VERY close attention to my truck, always have. My oil changes have been done at the purchasing dealership, I have no mods on the truck of any kind. I've noted that the truck has been smelling "hot" lately, like burnt metal...but I saw no dip in MPG of the typical lackluster performance. One morning it was knocking loudly for a bit, but I wrote that off to it being below zero outside.

Driving home Fri night, temps in the mid 30's, the truck began knocking...then louder and then louder. Driving along, I immediately turned it to the engine stat display. Coolant temp was the typical 208-210F, but the oil temp spiked in the low 230's, something I've never seen before. Oil PSI was decent, typical 30 range driving along.

I limped it 5-7 miles to the dealership, the thing was struggling to stay in the 55 mph zone (the speed limit on the road I was on). Buy the time I got it to the dealership, the thing sounded like a metal garbage can full of marbles. I pulled into the service bay, they already knew what was going on. They gave me a loaner and told me they'd be in contact with me. I personally know the sales manager and his 2017 Eco dumped guts at just over 25K miles...he forced FCA to do a buy back. He claimed he's going to do the same for me, I guess we'll see.
I don't understand, I bought a 2017 off the lot and have been very pleased with it, Getting 26 to 32 miles per gallon with no mods at all. I am wondering if something was wrong from the factory??

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don't understand, I bought a 2017 off the lot and have been very pleased with it, Getting 26 to 32 miles per gallon with no mods at all. I am wondering if something was wrong from the factory??
There is only one thing wrong with the 3.0L diesel engine. FCA

·
Registered
307 Posts
My mileage in my 2018 has always been consistent. 24-26 in mixed driving, city and 75mph highway. 26mpg at 75mph straight highway. Towing mileage hasn't been good, but it was okay.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
*UPDATE #1
So, first off...I'd like to tip my hat to my dealership...they've been superb to deal with. When I limped the truck into the dealership last Fri evening, they immediately called Enterprise and had a rental car there in less than 30 min.

Yesterday, they swapped me to their in house loaner, a 2019 1500 "classic", ext cab, 4x4 hemi.

Now...today I get a followup txt from them, the engine is indeed blown and will need a replacement. Currently engines are on back order with an ETA of at least mid April or later.

I'm not 100% sure what to do at this point. According to Illinois lemon laws, if they indeed cannot replace the engine before mid/end of April, it qualifies for their lemon law which states:

1-Have a non-conformity that both substantially impairs its use, safety, or market value; and
2-The non-conformity is not repairable by the dealer or manufacturer in at least four attempts for the same repair; or
2a-Be out of service for a total of 30 or more business days.

I'd say my truck easily would qualify for 1 and 2a...

I'm not exactly sure what to do at this point. I'll be honest, with the engine giving up the ghost at just 27K miles...how long will the second last? Forever? 15K? 27K? I don't know if I can ever have any real confidence in the truck again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts