RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is no way in this green earth I'd ever buy one of these again.

Honestly, I don't (fully) blame FCA, or VM, I blame the EPA. At this point, if they're going to choke diesel engines to death and make it illegal to do anything to them to remove the crushing equipment they force makers to have on them...I see no reason to ever own a diesel again, ever.

I'll say that I'm not getting my hopes up for a buy-back. If I had to take a stab, I'd say that they'll replace the engine and it may or may not pop when I hit 60K miles...

Sadly, this thing has depreciated out from underneath me...sad figuring how far ahead of value I was when I bought it (deep discount + large down payment). At this point, I came to terms with the fact that I'm just stuck with the thing.
Sorry to hear about your truck, at least the dealer is working with you. I share your feeling about this truck. I have a 16 Limited that I just love. I've had it tuned since about 1500 miles on truck currently almost 60K of trouble free miles. Problem is every time I turn around FCA wants to fix my truck via recall or AEM parts one and two. The only thing FCA has done is ruined this otherwise decent 1/2 ton diesel truck. FCA has wipe my tune out for the last time because I cannot get another one. So to protect my tune I either have to keep my truck out of the hands of the dealer, which is my current plan, or let them "fix" my truck again then trade it but like you I believe we will take a huge hit for it. I bought mine with incentives and a large down payment with a trade. These trucks are not in the KBB or Edmunds websites because of the EGR safety recall. Love my Ram hate FCA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is no way in this green earth I'd ever buy one of these again.

Honestly, I don't (fully) blame FCA, or VM, I blame the EPA. At this point, if they're going to choke diesel engines to death and make it illegal to do anything to them to remove the crushing equipment they force makers to have on them...I see no reason to ever own a diesel again, ever.

I'll say that I'm not getting my hopes up for a buy-back. If I had to take a stab, I'd say that they'll replace the engine and it may or may not pop when I hit 60K miles...

Sadly, this thing has depreciated out from underneath me...sad figuring how far ahead of value I was when I bought it (deep discount + large down payment). At this point, I came to terms with the fact that I'm just stuck with the thing.
Google EcoDiesel early engine failure class action suit. Sign up maybe the firm will get enough members to file.

Spread the word

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
On the one hand, you'll have a brand new engine. Likely to be trouble free. On the other hand there have been a few folks who have been through several engines. In those cases, there just has to be some other factor(s) in order to go through several engines. I have no way of knowing which case applies to you. :(

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
873 Posts
I agree with others, your lousy mileage is/was a huge clue. Excess fuel gets past the rings, thins the oil, bam. An oil analysis would be very helpful if even done periodically. One bad injector....

I assume you hand calculate your mileage? The EVIC is not that accurate. For no reason, mine can be off in both directions by 3-4 mpg.

But in winter, I get lousy mileage too, like around 18-22 mpg (hand calculated) with all the long warmups, and slow driving I do along with winter diesel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I would suggest take the buy out, or sell it when repaired. Then do not buy another ED. Respect is earned and enabling past poor behavior is not in your best interest. You now know better.

Move on...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Find a Canadian tune on the new motor or just dump the thing if you don't trust it, and be prepared to take a bath on trade in. I took a bath on mine 2 years ago and it looks like its the smartest move I've done with vehicles in a while, with this EGR FCA mess I mean. Hemi is thirsty but you don't save one red penny with the ECO in the long run. Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Saw the dealer on Sat...he told me his regional told him my truck was "too old" for a buyback...yeah, sure. Last I checked, a truck that's been owned for 25 months with 27K miles on it is well withing the warranty period. Seems to me that they just don't want to mess with it.

Either way...waiting for a new motor it is, I guess. I don't want to screw around with a lawyer perusing a lemon law claim...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would 100% have a lawyer lined up and ready to file the paperwork on day 30...FCA will have to pay the lawyer, it will cost you nothing and may be your only way out of the truck without getting turned upside down by $10k plus...Many people are on engine 2 and 3, they have no idea what they're doing or how to fix the problems.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what to do at this point. I'll be honest, with the engine giving up the ghost at just 27K miles...how long will the second last? Forever? 15K? 27K? I don't know if I can ever have any real confidence in the truck again.
Good luck, I hope all works out.

I know exactly how you feel, my bearings let go at 72K and I had the same feelings of no confidence that you have. I finally traded it off and I can't describe the relief I have not worrying about another bearing failure.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts