RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I run a Handyman business and I purchased my 2017 Ecodiesel in October, 2017. I will be building this out to a work truck and along the way adding some fun goodies. I will eventually be towing an 8x12 aluminum v-nose trailer as a portable woodshop as well.

Options:
Tradesman Package
Chrome appearance group
Popular equipment group
8 speed auto
3.92 rear axle ratio
anti spin differential
3.0 V6 EcoDiesel
Uconnect 5.0
Back up Camera
Trailer brake control

Here is a list of parts installed to date:
  • Adarac 70450 Stake Bed Ladder Rack
  • Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau cover
  • Blacksys CH200 Dash Cam
  • 6" Schedule 40 Conduit Carrier with
    Reese 7054900 Conduit carrier kit

My wife and I did as much homework we could to determine a ladder rack/cover combo that would work. As I have come to learn, it seems to be the unicorn of combinations when it comes to trucks. Thankfully, we figured it out.

Here is the day she was delivered.

November, 2017

Just installed the stake hole pocket ladder rack. It is rated for 250lbs per upright which is plenty fine for what I am going to use it for. If I plan on picking up sheet goods in the future, it will most often be on top of 2x4's custom fit for the top of the ladder rack rails. I'm usually picking up cabinet grade woods so I handle them pretty carefully.

December 2nd, 2017

So, for the past few weeks, I have been either unloading/loading my tools daily or hiding them underneath a tarp that was strapped down. As of Black Friday, I no longer have to do that. I purchased a Bak Revolver X2 hard rolling tonneau cover. It fits perfectly and looks amazing. The build quality of the unit is exceptional and I am 100% confident in the protection it has afforded me and my tools. Up until now, it was a gamble with the possibility of theft. I kept my expensive tools such as my miter saws, track saws, and so on inside the cab. For the record, I drop off and pick up my 3 girls every day at school. While I was at it, I also installed a 9' 6" schedule 40 pvc conduit carrier kit for all of my copper, small moulding pieces, etc. The top of the truck setup is about done with the addition of my 2ft step ladder, 8ft a-frame, 24ft extension ladder, the conduit carrier, and (2) 8' 2x4's that i use frequently. I added a 6' compression cable lock from Master Cable to secure everything down when I'm not around.

December 16th, 2017

I finally installed the vinyls i ordered just a few days after buying the truck. Unfortunately, I installed them crooked but to be honest, I don't like the way they look on this truck compared to my Expedition. I have customized a new design and will be ordering them soon.

December 19th, 2017

Today, I decided to finally install the Blacksys CH-200 2 channel dash cam. I am not done yet, but I have taken some test videos and images. Everything looks great and this camera shoots in 1080 front and rear. I hope to never need to utilize the footage, but I have it just in case. It also has a built in parking mode that detects motion and starts recording. That will be great if anyone decides to try to rip open the back. I mounted the front camera just slightly to the right of the rear view mirror. It is not in my line of sight in the driving position. I mounted the rear, dead center at the top of the glass. I do not have a sliding glass window on my Tradesman.

·
Registered
13,807 Posts
Now that is "something else". You sure plan well to work the truck and use it as a school bus. Bet you keep it pretty clean as that seems to fit your knowledge and description of mods.

Fine job with the pictures. They sure fit your description. Of course you can imagine that your racks are actually holding up the roof of all the garages behind you in one picture.

Work it and enjoy at the same time. Looks like you have a winner.

Reactions: lfh

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Very nice intro of your truck. Welcome to the Tradesman Club ! I have mine equipped just like Yours with factory options except for the 3.92.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Nice work truck. These are an excellent choice for a work truck/school bus. It's really satisfying to get a truck set up the way that you need it to work best for you. The trailer will be a great addition also.

On the vinyl lettering. I can see that you actually did put it on crooked. So here's a word of advice.
NEVER put a large decal like that on by eye. I have been doing lettering for 30 years I wouldn't think of doing it without registration lines.
1. First thing you do is run a straight pencil line along the bottom of any line of lettering or stripe horizontally on the decal.

2. Next find the vertical center and make a vitical pencil line.

3. Take some masking tape and tape the decal on the door in the position that you want it.

4. Now you have to make registration marks on the door. 2 ways to do this.
One is to put a piece of masking tape on the door at each end of the decal. Then transfer the horizontal mark from the decal to the door. Do this on Only ONE SIDE. That is your starting point. Now you can measure from the bottom of the door to your mark. Take that measurement and put a mark on the other piece of masking tape. Now you have a straight horizontal line across the door to go by.
To make the horizontal line you can also use a STABILLO PENCIL make the line directly on the door. They are water soluble and the marks will wash off with water.
( This is how most pro's do it)
The horizontal line is CRITICAL. If you're off by 1/8" you can see it!

5. Now you can make a vertical center line. A piece of tape and eye balling it will work the vertical center line, this not as critical.

Any art store should have STABILLO pencils. I only have 2 colors blue and white. (Obviously you'll need blue)

Also, an once or two of plain liquid soap in a 32 oz spray bottle to spray the decal will help with repositioning.
Once you get your horizontal lines lined up use a plastic squeegee to push the water out from the center outward. You may have to wait up to 1/2 hr to dry before removing the transfer paper.
Putting them on dry is a different procedure and much more likely to have air bubbles under the decals.

Oh yeah, U TUBE can be your best friend if you want to see it done!

Good luck with your new truck and your lettering project.
(I guess the trailer will be the next lettering job! )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that is "something else". You sure plan well to work the truck and use it as a school bus. Bet you keep it pretty clean as that seems to fit your knowledge and description of mods.

Fine job with the pictures. They sure fit your description. Of course you can imagine that your racks are actually holding up the roof of all the garages behind you in one picture.

Work it and enjoy at the same time. Looks like you have a winner.
Thanks! Surprisingly, it fits underneath my carport with exactly 0.875" to spare. LOL!

Enjoy the fuel economy of the truck! I find it a great work truck myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been enjoying it tremendously. I used my 2008 expedition for nearly a year doing the same job. That was a LOT of extra work.

Very nice intro of your truck. Welcome to the Tradesman Club ! I have mine equipped just like Yours with factory options except for the 3.92.
Thank you! The dealer had added the 3.92 which I won't complain about since I'll be towing anyway. And I probably have around 500-600lbs in it at any given time anyway.

Nice work truck. These are an excellent choice for a work truck/school bus. It's really satisfying to get a truck set up the way that you need it to work best for you. The trailer will be a great addition also.

Good luck with your new truck and your lettering project.
(I guess the trailer will be the next lettering job! )
Thank you for the tips, it is very much appreciated. Sad to admit but I am no stranger to graphics as I ran a performance automotive company a while back as well. I had these vinyls in my truck for about two months and the backing got kind of beat up. I had taped them on and thought they looked even and I was just out of patience that day and should have waited. At the end of it though, I didn't like the way they looked anyway.

I was taught a long time ago to use johnson & johnson baby soap/water mix as it drys clearer and cleaner than regular soap. What do you think?

Here are a few of my old cars. I've done more graphics than I care to admit to based on putting these ones on crooked. :( I've always designed, vectored, and sized them out myself as well.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Thank you for the tips, it is very much appreciated. Sad to admit but I am no stranger to graphics as I ran a performance automotive company a while back as well. I had these vinyls in my truck for about two months and the backing got kind of beat up. I had taped them on and thought they looked even and I was just out of patience that day and should have waited. At the end of it though, I didn't like the way they looked anyway.

I was taught a long time ago to use johnson & johnson baby soap/water mix as it drys clearer and cleaner than regular soap. What do you think?

Here are a few of my old cars. I've done more graphics than I care to admit to based on putting these ones on crooked. :( I've always designed, vectored, and sized them out myself as well.

Well talk about preaching to the choir! LOL Thanks for the tip sounds like a good idea. Nice looking graphics on those cars!
Just my luck, the one time I give out advice I give it to someone who probably knows more than me about it. :rolleyes:::eek:

·
Registered
347 Posts
You are dialed in!!! That’s for showing your well executed and everything under the sun add on. Can’t wait for your trailer build. Gonna piggy back on your ideas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well talk about preaching to the choir! LOL Thanks for the tip sounds like a good idea. Nice looking graphics on those cars!
Just my luck, the one time I give out advice I give it to someone who probably knows more than me about it. :rolleyes:::eek:
I truly appreciate your EXCELLENT tips and I think it's important because I am not the only one reading the replies in this thread. ;)

I learned a long time ago to never disregard good advice, whether you know it or not. I just wanted to clarify my position as to why I was so annoyed by them being crooked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are dialed in!!! That’s for showing your well executed and everything under the sun add on. Can’t wait for your trailer build. Gonna piggy back on your ideas
I'm going crazy with the trailer build concept already... It will be mine!!!! MUahaHAhahahHA

Let me just show you a sneak peek of what I'm aspiring to!

Fast forward to 4min exactly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts