RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
attached the 2018 capacities page from the downloads page from ram trucks.

I asked this in a previous post and did some searching on the forum here, how do you know which of the (3) GCWR and which one of the (2) tow ratings you have? Nobody I talk to seems to know the answer including the dealer.

SAE J2807 ratings.
(Mine is a 2018 ordered EcoDiesel/Quad Cab/3.92 Gear)
Code:
Gross Combination Weight Rate:
13,750 lbs
14,550 lbs
14,750 lbs

2 Max Trailer Weights:
13,750 gcwr @ 7,690 lbs
14,750 gcwr @ 8,690 lbs
I'm looking to confirm we have the 14,750/8,690 and there's no way for me to discern that from the build sheet, the website, or the attached document.

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
Find the "truck guy" at your dealer and ask him/her to run you through the Ram Body Builders site for your specific truck. Options are your enemy when looking for higher cargo and towing capacities. Every option you add to the truck subtracts from the capacities.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I'm guessing the higher numbers apply to your truck with 3.92 gears. The lower rating would be a 3.55 rear truck.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
3.55 4x4. 7690. 4x2. 7990

3.92. 4x4. 8690. 4x2. 8990

Both Q cab. ED’s

You pick up 300 pounds of tow capacity when you lose the 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Both Q cab. ED’s

How confident are you in those numbers? Hopefully 100% HAHA lol. I sure hope so, cause that would be great.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Find the "truck guy" at your dealer and ask him/her to run you through the Ram Body Builders site for your specific truck. Options are your enemy when looking for higher cargo and towing capacities. Every option you add to the truck subtracts from the capacities.
How much does your weigh? Here's my build

Code:
2018 1500 Sport Quad Cab 4x4
28L/EXF--(3.0L EcoDiesel)
DFD--(8HP70 8spd)
PBU--(True Blue Pearl)
APA (Monotone Paint)
*AJ--(Cloth Bucket)
-X9--(Black)
XHC--(Trailer Brake control)
XFH--(Class IV hitch)
WRL--(20x9 semi-gloss black wheels)
UAQ--(4C 8.4" Nav)
SER--(Air Suspension)
DSA--(Anti-spin differential)
DMH--(3.92 gear)
CS7--(Tri-fold tonneau Cover)
AHC--(Tow Mirrors/Trailer Brake)
XMF--(Spray in bed liner)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't you just select "Look up my vehicle" and key in your VIN at this website? https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html
the VIN doesn't exist yet. I have an order put in 2 days ago with a refundable deposit on a truck that is awesome but not the tradesman 3.0L super towing model LOL. I'm trying to figure out if I've done all I can without removing options, and figure out exactly what I purchased. I.E., we got cloth quad not crew, no ram box, etc. The options I got are pretty much the least amount I'd want for 99% of my use.

Tangentially, I don't own a travel trailer yet but I'm trying to sort out options for one down the road. Getting rid of my JGC Ecodiesel because the wheel base is too short for a decent trailer (I need slides for floor space for our 60lb dogs). Long story short, we're renting https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-prime-time-avenger-ati-travel-trailer-floorplan-27dbs-tr28826 to make sure such a future purchase is even viable. The length is fine, if we end up with some similar layout, i'll get a lighter one but in passing we're looking at the larger Lance models for their lower overall heights to reduce frontal area but I'm a bit concerned on their tongue weight given their axle location. Regardless I know its possible to get a lighter camper that'll work for me with the ram but won't work for me with the Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel we own. While I'm very confident with enough testing and towing this rental without liquids and filing up at the camp ground I could pull it, I'm not going to even try..... that last bit (time/testing) is not existent with 2 dogs and wife who wants "to get there" LOL... plus that is a sure fire way to make sure we never camp again, that's the opposite of the goal hahah.

I will definitely have whatever these tires off of it in a few years with E Rated tires.

If anyone can help me figure out the curb weight, I'd appreciate that.... such as well I own something very similar and it weighs this

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wait sorry to hijack the thread. - But is this the first instance confirming MY2018 eocdiesels?

The diesel engine still is not shown on the 'Build & Price' tool on ram's website.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
How confident are you in those numbers? Hopefully 100% HAHA lol. I sure hope so, cause that would be great.
I got that off of the Ram link you supplied.

The top chart covers your towing numbers based on engine, rear end and drivetrain. Easy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wait sorry to hijack the thread. - But is this the first instance confirming MY2018 eocdiesels?

The diesel engine still is not shown on the 'Build & Price' tool on ram's website.
Yes, our dealer just started taking orders this week and had to confirm ED is available on all models, which it is.

I got that off of the Ram link you supplied.

The top chart covers your towing numbers based on engine, rear end and drivetrain. Easy.
but the chart didn't show what configuration nets which GCWR, unless I missed that?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I see what you are saying.

Your 4x4 Quad cab with the 3.92 has two possible ratings. There could be some minor differences in trim but not 1000 lbs worth.

Tow capacity of 7,690 or 8,690.

GCWR of 13,750 or 14,750.

My best guess is tow package vs no tow package. Looked on trailerlife.com and they don’t have 2018 numbers.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see what you are saying.

Your 4x4 Quad cab with the 3.92 has two possible ratings. There could be some minor differences in trim but not 1000 lbs worth.

Tow capacity of 7,690 or 8,690.

GCWR of 13,750 or 14,750.

My best guess is tow package vs no tow package. Looked on trailerlife.com and they don’t have 2018 numbers.
the odd part is... it didn't matter in my towing build:
RV Tow Check | Before You Buy RV Calculator
Code:
GCWR--14,750 (or try 13,750)
GVWR--6,950
GVW--5,700 (assumed)
TWR--8,690 (or try 7,690)
400--passengers (myself, wife, two 60lb dogs no other cargo)

[SIZE=5][B]15%TW--6,333 in either GCWR or TWR[/B][/SIZE]
GVWR @6,950 with a heavy base truck (5,700lbs) seems to be the limiting factor. I think we're going to be stuck with a 6,500 max trailer weight, which should be fine for us down the road... 27' light camper or a smaller 25/26' top of the line Lance.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
There are a lot of 2018 Ecodiesel trucks already popped up on cars.com. No pictures for proof, but those dealers have definitely put their orders in and created a placeholder advertisement on the website. They even have VIN info populated.

OK Hammer I'm at my desk. I noticed this same thing when I was shopping for my 2015. Attached is a 2014 and 2015 J2807 PDF.
The 2014 shows quad cab 6'4" box 4x4 split up into different groups of weight rating per trim level. In this case you can see under SLT/OUTDOORSMAN/BIGHORN/LONESTAR there's 3 options for the 3.0L and one is derated to 12,800 with a 3.55 axle compared to 13,500, and the max trailer weight accordingly affected even though all the other base weights are identical. This one line is marked with an asterisk, the according footnote denotes that this rating only applies to the Bighorn/Lonestar trims.
Move forward to the 2015 document and it's easier to read, all the trim levels are ignored and grouped together. There is the same note regarding Bighorn/Lonestar but there's not an asterisk listed. You can look closely and see there's 3 ratings for the Ecodiesel and it mentions the 3.92 axle has a limitation on these two trim levels (why a similar note doesn't apply to the 3.55, doesn't make sense).

For some reason the Bighorn/Lonestar trims are specifically derated in towing capabilities.
My educated guess: this has nothing to do with weight of options, and more to do with the chrome slot grille design that comes on this trim level.
If it was due to weight of options, then the Laramie, Limited, Longhorn, etc would ALL also be similarly rated less due to the weight of all that leather and chrome and sunroof and premium sound equipment.
The Bighorn/Lonestar grille has been proven to be the most restrictive OEM grille design and I can only imagine that RAM discovered this during their testing and had to specifically rate these trucks less due to the grille, not the weight of options.
Remember the J2807 test is a strenuous test and there are specific metrics that something has to meet in order to pass. If the truck dropped below a certain speed or got above a certain temp range due to a restrictive grille then they probably dropped 1000lbs off the sled and tested it again until it passed at or below the specified test.
None of this means a truck won't pull a heavier weight in real-world use as maybe a slightly slower speed than J2807.
If your new quad cab truck is a Bighorn/Lonestar I'd imagine you have the lower ratings, based on what I can deduce from the 2014/2015 sheets. Swap our your grille inserts and tow what you want, and still monitor your temps.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are a lot of 2018 Ecodiesel trucks already popped up on cars.com. No pictures for proof, but those dealers have definitely put their orders in and created a placeholder advertisement on the website. They even have VIN info populated.

OK Hammer I'm at my desk. I noticed this same thing when I was shopping for my 2015.
If your new quad cab truck is a Bighorn/Lonestar I'd imagine you have the lower ratings, based on what I can deduce from the 2014/2015 sheets. Swap our your grille inserts and tow what you want, and still monitor your temps.
Didn't quote it all but quoted some of it so you knew I was replying to your excellent post.
I've read on this forum about this grill problem but you'll noted I have ordered a Ram Sport but I don't know if this "new ram grill" coexists with the Bighorn/Lonestar derating??? $500 is refundable but information flowing from dealer is at this point zero.

thanks for the informative post!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

Both Q cab. ED’s

4x2 trucks are as useful as teats on a boar. That said, 300lbs sounds about right for the extra hardware needed for a proper truck.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Didn't quote it all but quoted some of it so you knew I was replying to your excellent post.
I've read on this forum about this grill problem but you'll noted I have ordered a Ram Sport but I don't know if this "new ram grill" coexists with the Bighorn/Lonestar derating??? $500 is refundable but information flowing from dealer is at this point zero.

thanks for the informative post!
The Sport grille uses the same chrome horizontal bars as the Bighorn/Lonestar. Only difference is the Bighorn/Lonestar grille surround is chrome and the Sport model is painted. At least - that's how it's been form 2013-onward. Who knows about 2018 though and its grille design.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Sport grille uses the same chrome horizontal bars as the Bighorn/Lonestar. Only difference is the Bighorn/Lonestar grille surround is chrome and the Sport model is painted. At least - that's how it's been form 2013-onward. Who knows about 2018 though and its grille design.
I'm finding the GVWR as the limiting towing factor anyways because of the tongue weight. The GCWR and GTW are more than the payload (most likely) if my truck as equipped comes in at 5,700lbs (best guess).

Now, the sport has a specific grill. 2018-Ram-1500-102.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts