RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my truck, but...
Got it new in 2018 and at 853 miles I went thru a kind of deep puddle during a t-storm. Not so deep that a Honda Civic in front of me had any problems. But my truck went into limp mode. I pulled of into a parking lot and tried to turn it off and restart. It would not let me shift to park (all the gear indicator lights around dial where lit) but would let me turn off motor, but not remove the key. All lights on dash stayed on as if in accessory mode. Tow truck got it to dealer after hour so battery died over night. They charge it and reset it and said it was water intrusion- not covered under warranty. So cost to check it and charge battery were on me. I was out of town and not my dealer- just paid because did not want to hang around and fight about.
Fast forward to about 12,000 miles. Same thing happens in town where I got it. I did not turn off truck, just drove to dealer. They said same- water intrusion. They pulled electric connection and check any covers over computers. No charge this time.
So today, at 67,000 mile it has happened again.

I have no faith that they will find the problem. And I dang sure don't want a dry weather truck, lol

Anyone had anything like this happen?

I have not had any problems orther than radio replaced under warranty, and two recalls that were fix.

·
Super Moderator
884 Posts
Not exactly the same however my ABS brake module had a piece missing from the case and every now and then moisture would get in and cause the dash to light up like a christmas tree. No 4x4, no ABS, no power steering, etc. Took them three tries to find out that the module had a piece missing right from the factory. Replaced it and no further problem. Yours might be the big connector under the driver side of the frame, not properly closed or maybe the gasket pinched letting water spray in from going through puddles.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I really like my truck, but...
Got it new in 2018 and at 853 miles I went thru a kind of deep puddle during a t-storm. Not so deep that a Honda Civic in front of me had any problems. But my truck went into limp mode. I pulled of into a parking lot and tried to turn it off and restart. It would not let me shift to park (all the gear indicator lights around dial where lit) but would let me turn off motor, but not remove the key. All lights on dash stayed on as if in accessory mode. Tow truck got it to dealer after hour so battery died over night. They charge it and reset it and said it was water intrusion- not covered under warranty. So cost to check it and charge battery were on me. I was out of town and not my dealer- just paid because did not want to hang around and fight about.
Fast forward to about 12,000 miles. Same thing happens in town where I got it. I did not turn off truck, just drove to dealer. They said same- water intrusion. They pulled electric connection and check any covers over computers. No charge this time.
So today, at 67,000 mile it has happened again.

I have no faith that they will find the problem. And I dang sure don't want a dry weather truck, lol

Anyone had anything like this happen?

I have not had any problems orther than radio replaced under warranty, and two recalls that were fix.
Hi: mj1angier... Sound like some of the English cars of the sixties. They didn't like water either!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I had to unplug all of the wire harness plugs under my 2017 and reinstall with dielectric grease, end of problem. Dealer was of no use, just wanted to throw parts at it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I had to unplug all of the wire harness plugs under my 2017 and reinstall with dielectric grease, end of problem. Dealer was of no use, just wanted to throw parts at it.
Hi: HYDREX... It's tough when you're trying to deal with "Parts changers".

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Just a thought but in your area do they have one of those Auto Electric shops? I know i'm going back in my time machine but back in the day we had these local shops they would handle any and everything automotive electrical, rebuilding starters, alternators, fault codes, electrical shorts they were the electrical experts who could find those mysterious gremlins that a dealer couldn't I realize not many of them left anymore due to changing times.

Electrical problems are like chasing a ghost or telling your spouse she doesn't look good in that outfit they'll both drive you crazy.

Reactions: mj1angier

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a thought but in your area do they have one of those Auto Electric shops? I know i'm going back in my time machine but back in the day we had these local shops they would handle any and everything automotive electrical, rebuilding starters, alternators, fault codes, electrical shorts they were the electrical experts who could find those mysterious gremlins that a dealer couldn't I realize not many of them left anymore due to changing times.

Electrical problems are like chasing a ghost or telling your spouse she doesn't look good in that outfit they'll both drive you crazy.
LOL you must as old as I am. I have took in a few alternators for rebuilds in my younger days. I have not seen one in a few years, but doesn't mean they are not there. I am too old to do much crawling around under autos these days- I don't even change my oil lol

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
LOL you must as old as I am. I have took in a few alternators for rebuilds in my younger days. I have not seen one in a few years, but doesn't mean they are not there. I am too old to do much crawling around under autos these days- I don't even change my oil lol
Nowadays everything has to be here and now with this impatient generation who would rather buy an inferior part that will fail because its cheap and available immediately, as opposed to the old shops where you might have wait a day or two to have it rebuilt with quality copper and brass fittings and was better than the original part. Some of these shops would do other things like rebuild shop fan motors, if it was electrical they could fix it. Anybody who owned 60's - 80's imports can attest to electrical issues.

Reactions: mj1angier

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Nowadays everything has to be here and now with this impatient generation who would rather buy an inferior part that will fail because its cheap and available immediately, as opposed to the old shops where you might have wait a day or two to have it rebuilt with quality copper and brass fittings and was better than the original part. Some of these shops would do other things like rebuild shop fan motors, if it was electrical they could fix it. Anybody who owned 60's - 80's imports can attest to electrical issues.
Hi: TexasJoe... You mean like Joseph Lucas... "Prince of Darkness". At least he made people get home before dark!!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi: TexasJoe... You mean like Joseph Lucas... "Prince of Darkness". At least he made people get home before dark!!!
:unsure: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts