RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I am located in the Hamilton area of Ontario. Purchased an Ecodiesel new off the lot. After a week or so getting used to the truck I noticed it always drifted to the left. Advised my salesman, and it went in for an alignment. Still pulled to left. Back in again for another check and am told that the specs are normal and other rams do the same. Google search shows this is a wide spread issue. Went back to dealer and service manager test drove vehicle with myself in it and agreed there was an issue. Same day they did a tire rotation and re checked the alignment and sent me on my way. However, it never fixed the issue. Now I am being told there is nothing that can be done as it falls within the specs of alignment.

Has anyone else had this happen to them in a new RAM?? I would like to take it to an independent shop; but am not looking forward to a huge bill on a new truck that is 1.5 months old and under full warranty. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
Paul...

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
Do you have air suspension?

I've also been told there is an EPS reset option that needs reset after every alignment.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Open a case with Chrysler. There are no good service dealers in the HAMILTON area that I have any faith in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I was thinking the same. However a google search shows not one person has had any luck with Chrysler or the arbitration process. Seems kind of fixed...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hello to all. I am located in the Hamilton area of Ontario. Purchased an Ecodiesel new off the lot. After a week or so getting used to the truck I noticed it always drifted to the left. Advised my salesman, and it went in for an alignment. Still pulled to left. Back in again for another check and am told that the specs are normal and other rams do the same. Google search shows this is a wide spread issue. Went back to dealer and service manager test drove vehicle with myself in it and agreed there was an issue. Same day they did a tire rotation and re checked the alignment and sent me on my way. However, it never fixed the issue. Now I am being told there is nothing that can be done as it falls within the specs of alignment.

Has anyone else had this happen to them in a new RAM?? I would like to take it to an independent shop; but am not looking forward to a huge bill on a new truck that is 1.5 months old and under full warranty. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
Paul...
I've heard this happen (rarely) with hydraulic systems, where the power steering can cause a pull to the right or left. The way you can diagnose this issue is to jack up the front of the truck with the wheels pointed straight ahead. Then start the truck (without moving the steering wheel) and see if the power steering moves the front wheels to the right or left at all. If it does, then the problem is in the power steering system itself. I don't know if this has ever been an issue with the electric power steering system like ours, but it's worth a try to find out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'll chime in, my truck also pulls to the left. I have had the alignment checked well within spec.

Do you have air suspension?

I've also been told there is an EPS reset option that needs reset after every alignment
Bounty Hunter what is this EPS reset as I do have air suspension?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Interesting thread as I have noticed that my 2015 does this, too. And seems a bit more noticible now at 48K than when new but that might just be my perception. If this is common, then I won't waste $ on an alignment, I'll just watch tire wear. No air suspension on this HFE strippo

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'll chime in, my truck also pulls to the left. I have had the alignment checked well within spec.

Bounty Hunter what is this EPS reset as I do have air suspension?
This likely has been done as it will not cause pulling but will cause a warning light. I'd like to see a printout of the alignment. My guess is the truck falls within the specified range per adjustment but if one side is at the end of a range and the other at a minimum it will very likely still cause a pull. The only 2 things that cause a pull are camber, caster, or tires. Since the rotation has been done it is likely that it is not the tires.

Could you post a printout of the final alignment?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yes, I was thinking the same. However a google search shows not one person has had any luck with Chrysler or the arbitration process. Seems kind of fixed...
If you do not open a case with FCA, the arbitration process will be a NO-Go. I have successfully gone through the arbitration process (CANVAP). It was many years ago and Chrysler's a-hole reaction to my win caused me a 15 hiatus from any Chrysler product. Document all visits, ask for Chrysler Rep to discuss issues, visit at least 2 5-star dealers. I had many issues with my vehicle but I focused on a squeak from the steering when the vehicle was hot. The arbitrator heard it on a test drive. The Chrysler rep was caught lying during the arbitration meeting. I won full purchase value back :)

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,186 Posts
Maybe it makes a difference maybe it doesn't. I have noticed that my truck sitting on level ground sits about an inch lower on the left/driver side than the right/passenger side. I can only assume its because of the weight of the fuel tank def tank and battery all being on that side. I have not noticed that my truck pulls but maybe it could have something to do with it and would explain why its all to the left.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Have them left the truck where all 4 wheels are off the ground. Spin each wheel and see if the left side wheel(s) drag. Could be a tight wheel bearing or just about anything. It shouldn't pull...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Maybe it makes a difference maybe it doesn't. I have noticed that my truck sitting on level ground sits about an inch lower on the left/driver side than the right/passenger side. I can only assume its because of the weight of the fuel tank def tank and battery all being on that side. I have not noticed that my truck pulls but maybe it could have something to do with it and would explain why its all to the left.
I have noticed mine appears to sit lower on the left side when looking at it from the rear. I will measure to see but I don't have any issues with it pulling to the left.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I want to thank all for taking the time to respond. I have an appointment with the salesman in 3 days. He has sold me 2 new vehicles in the past 3 years and is a good guy. I realize his hands are tied in a situation like this. I will test drive another EcoDiesel on the lot and compare the two. I will take same route as if I was going to work in morning. I honestly believe they know there is an issue. They originally had a mechanic test drive and acknowledge an issue and ordered an alignment. Then the service manager also test drove and ordered a tire rotation and alignment check. These are simple " $$" attempts to fix the problem. Now they realize there might be some real cost to replacing front end parts they are falling back on the alignment specs. Total BS. I will open a complaint with FCA if they refuse to do anything else to rectify the issue. All my visits have been documented. I will ask for the alignment print out. Will post results of meeting. Thanks again.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The best thing they could do at this point is camber the LF tire in to match the RF. Not sure why this wasn't addressed during the alignment. The tire on the RF is leaning to the left and the tire on the LF is also leaning to the left. Sure, they are both "in spec" but they don't have to be out of spec to cause a "combined pull". The simple fact is the specs are primarily for a specific handling feel and a far second is tire wear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have done alignments and it looks like your left camber is off. Also the caster angle on the left could be more positive. I’m surprised that they did not adjust this. I would ask them to change it when you go back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello to all. Sorry for the delay. It was a long weekend up here in Canada. So I went back to the dealer and spoke to the salesperson. I went for another test drive with the sales manager. He also agreed there is an issue. When I explained the run around I was receiving from the service dept. he was quite upset. I am now to deal with him directly. He will also provide a loaner vehicle so I wont need to take anymore time off work. It seems the service dept. does not work hand in hand with the front staff. Front staff are great; they really go out of their way to make a smooth satisfying vehicle purchase. However the service dept. is a disaster in my opinion. I drop off the vehicle next week. I will respond with my findings.

By the way; I am very satisfied with the Eco Diesel. It really is a great vehicle. I am getting around 800-900 KM per tank.
Fill up at $116.00 CDN will last approx 3.5 weeks. It pulls my small travel trailer; 3500# like its not even there.
(500-560 miles. Fill up $88.00 for our US friends.)

Take care and thank you for your replies.
Paul....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts