RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
2018 last year of its kind. Can get a manual if that's your thing. Of course it depends on the deal and how badly they want to sell something, I'd imagine deals on 2018 are going to be generally better especially this late in 2019. Aftermarket support is well established.

2019 first of its kind. I think there are a lot of improvements with the new trucks inside and out. However any 1st year vehicle could definitely have its quirks. Same cab/bed as 2018 with a refreshed front clip, taillights, and interior. Is the HD going to get the new cab in 2020 or 2021, making the 2019 HD a bastard oddball year? Time will tell but I'd imagine they want to combine their tooling costs sooner.

Unless you're buying the max tow 3500 with the HO/Aisin for 1000 lb-ft, or absolutely need a lot of the fancy new stuff available in the 2019, a 2018 is probably better for the wallet and all. It depends if the luxury stuff is a "gotta have" for you, or if you're like me and are perfectly happy driving a base model.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I would either buy an 18 to avoid the new engine design and potential issues associated with it or wait and see when the cummins 8 speed debuts.

Dad has an '18 3500 srw and has been great so far.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just looked at an 18 and a 19 side by side. The 19's interior was brand new, it even had the 12" screen.

The 18 was the good old familiar truck that I already know. And, without any prompting, the dealer was knocking 12K off the sticker.

Now the salesman said the engine and drive line was the same. Is that true? I thought the 19's had the new engine and same 6 speed?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I believe the 19 gets the updated engine (cgi block, new head, new internals, etc) but it's downrated to 850lbft (compared to the max 1000lbft available in the 3500). I dont know if they had to update the 68rfe to handle the extra torque (2018 is 800lbft). this combination is also offered in the 3500 in addition to the 1000lbft/aisin combination.

Personally, i prefer the interior and exterior of the 18. with that, and the uncertainty of new untested components, I would not even consider the 19.

I would fire whoever was in charge of the 2019 redesigns for both the 1500 and HDs, it's not that they are ugly (still better looking than any of the competition imho) but the new looks are a step backward compared to the 2018s

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
The '19 has a near totally new engine from block construction to near all internal parts and turbo. It is designed to be both stronger and more fuel efficient. Of course the stupid thing on that last issue is they dropped the 3:43 rear end ratio so the most (least) fuel efficient rear-end ration available.e is 3:73. Absolutely stupid in my book.

Next on the '19 there is a slight revision with the automatic transmission, the only transmission available. It 's basically the same 68RE six- speed with a few changes to handle the extra torque and make the linkage shift more reliably.

I would be ecstatic were it not for that rear-end ration issue. For those running speeds below 70 mph and tow above say 14,000 lbs, the 2019 is the logical choice. If you tow light and run interstate speeds upwards of 75 mph, read more and figure out what the fuel penalty will be at those speeds with the "supposedly" more fuel efficient engine.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Wait and see what they did with transmission ratios before you condemn their rear end ratio. Drove around on our ranch all weekend. In my ecodiesel I limit the top gear to 2nd and at 10 mph run about 1500 rpm around the pasture.

In the old man's '18 cummins with 3.42 gears it ran 1st gear the whole time at 10 mph and 1200 rpm. 500 mile round trip the cummins with about 5000 lbs trailer on the way down and trailer with a pick nick table and some other stuff on the way back was a little better than 16 mpg average.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Top ration on the 68RE transmission for 2019 is the same. Forget the number but something like .6:1. Now in the future the 8 speed ZF may reduce that to say .5 or even .4:1. That would effectively drop the final gearing using the 3:73 rears. Then you can run 70 mph under 1,800 rpm.

Friend with a 2017 Cummins called me Saturday to tell me that at 70 mph he is tacking something like 1,600 rpm. 3:42 rears is what I told him he had. He also has larger tires so just my guess and I do not remember his exact numbers right now.

The whole issue is not about crawling around a field. It is about normal operation by ME. I really would like to run 75-80 mph at rpm/s UNDER 2,000. Sure do that now with my Ecodiesel and get 28 mpg at those speeds. Get even more at lower speeds and rpm's. You put a Cummins on the road at 2,000 rpm or more and the fuel mileage tanks.

It would be "pound foolish" to have a vehicle yielding lower fuel mileage at the speeds they normally run. Now that's only an issue if you have a limited income. Unfortunately, I do. Fuel costs are a major issue related to what I can buy and how I normally use my vehicles.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Just food for thought Capt. Our 5,000 lb boat that has little wind drag compared to a box camper makes the 2018 3.42 geared cummins hunt for gears bad enough that we tow with it in 5th gear. And that is in the lowly flat lands of south texas.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Captainmal, I see your predicament. My 3.42 gears are a decent compromise. I can loaf down the highway above idle, next to no boost but can lock out gears when towing to keep it in the sweet spot. I found that I do not need numerically high rear end gears at all to tow the loads I do. The AS69RC has a stupid deep first gear and the ISB6.7 has so much torque off the line. For what you tow, you have no need for anything but the 3.42.

What one needs to do (One day I hope to) is do some hand calculations for unloaded highway driving while in 6th and in 5th. According to my lie O'meter, it shows little to no difference but again, hand calcs is where it is at.

Now what some guys have done is gear swaps. But this seems to be the guy that requires a SRW but needs absolute max tow or the guy with ridiculously large wheel/tire combos. For guys like us, any gains you might get in a gear swap are never realized monetarily over the cost of the swap.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Just food for thought Capt. Our 5,000 lb boat that has little wind drag compared to a box camper makes the 2018 3.42 geared cummins hunt for gears bad enough that we tow with it in 5th gear. And that is in the lowly flat lands of south texas.
Is that bad if the rpm's are in a positive range for the speeds you are towing. Take a look and see what the speeds and rpm's are while towing. Then figure out how often and how much distance you actually tow. Bet you do not tow that boat every day and thousands of miles a month. Guessing your actual towing is but a small part of your overall usage. For that Cummins you want to be cruising under 2,000 rpm. If you tow light in 5th gear and the rpm's are way over 2,000, you are going too fast. There is still 2 1/2 tons of extra weight being pulled. That also has axle and tire drag with that much weight to pull things back. You may have the right speed but in 6th the rpm's may be under 1,500 and that is probably not good to lug the engine under load like that.

Guessing you do not like the 3:42, want to charge off the line faster and hold 6th gear. Sometimes that is not the best scenario.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
On the gearing issue, there is a new 8 speed ZF coming to the 2500 Cummins. Not sure it will be in the 2020 models, which will be available this November as they are soon stopping 2019 orders. Anyway I looked over the new 8 Sp. ZF model that might be used. The final 8th gear ratio in near identical to the 68RE currently used on the 2019 Cummins models. Think it's something like .63:1.

Unless the new ZF transmission is in the 2020 and does give the advertised 10% better fuel mileage than the old ZF or maybe the 68 RE, it may not be a bonus. From what I could see this new ZF still does not have a dipstick to check fluid levels and a reasonable way to change fluids. It just may be better to have the current 2019 Cummins.

Another thing to know is the 2019 Cummins engine package has different fuel filters than the 2018 and older. I priced them and got "sticker shock".

·
Registered
392 Posts
Does not surprise me on the final gearing of the ZF. The in between gears should help on the heavy pulls but for your case, having a low, low (numerically)highway gear would be nice to compensate for the numerically high rear end.

But even the additional gears are almost moot. For most of us the ISB6.7 makes enough torque to pull heavy in any gear.

As for price on filters. Rip off comes to mind all the time. Up here it's even worse, they are an utter rip off. But one thing to note is for the guys that hot shot. A member on another board runs a 4500 that hot shots and still runs the 24,000km change index. His numbers show around 4 to 5,000 litres of fuel filtered in that index. I do not agree on the markup but the factory filters are great quality and can run some good numbers.

·
Registered
392 Posts
So my wife and I were in the city tonight and popped by the dealer, after hours. We did a walk through of the new HD trucks. Don't mind the looks and the interiors look like a nice evolution from out current 2017. Unable to get a test drive as I wanted to check out the new engine. The driveline is almost identical to my rig so the engine and ride would have to be a world better for us to think of a trade in. But got us thinking, not that there is anything wrong with mine. Also have to check the numbers and see what a SRW 3500 can tow. My current rig is only rated for 16k, not that it even notices that amount.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Stopped by a dealer on I4 in Lakeland, Fl. yesterday. Wife and I were at a local gun show so we were close. Stupid busy and I decided that traffic and dealer congestion made any kind of test drive difficult. Passed.

Now they had five 2500 2018's each with 9 - 15,000 miles on them. They were SLT's and fit my style. Asking around $39K for each, I never made an offer. Entered two and was able to key on the EVIC. One read 13.8 mpg. The other 14.6 mpg. Each was so high off the ground I had to crawl up to get in. The wife tried one and did not struggle to get in the other. We also looked into a couple 19's, one of which had an MSRP of $83,000. Wife told the salesman what she thought of that.

We left. On the way home I looked and looked at my mpg on the EVIC. Right at 30 mpg.

·
Registered
392 Posts
To daily drive a HD is a bit of a task, not to mention the ride height. You really need to work it hard in order for it to be viable and worth the compromise in fuel and ride. Stop and go my truck has atrocious fuel economy, flat highway on summer fuel it can get around the 18 to 19. I think I was around the 8 to 10 mark at 33,000lb combined weight on flat highway. Its a trade off. We had looked at used but the resale coupled with the interest rate was not worth it. At the end of the day you were going to pay X amount for both and with new you are guaranteed to not have that some patch trash, entitled white kid with a flat brimmed Monster Energy hat, wearing white Spy sunglasses, Metal Mulisha shirt and a key lanyard hanging out of his pre-ripped jeans destroy the motor using a canned rolling coal tune so that he could race up to his camp job in Fort Mcmurray prior to the drug screening, hoping the coke is out of his system.

Oh Captainmal, you need a test drive. The thing has torque, with plenty to go around. The management works pretty hard to hold it all back. I was at 72mph on the highway and sitting at 3psi of boost. All motor.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
To daily drive a HD is a bit of a task, not to mention the ride height. At the end of the day you were going to pay X amount for both and with new you are guaranteed to not have that some patch trash, entitled white kid with a flat brimmed Monster Energy hat, wearing white Spy sunglasses, Metal Mulisha shirt and a key lanyard hanging out of his pre-ripped jeans destroy the motor using a canned rolling coal tune so that he could race up to his camp job in Fort Mcmurray prior to the drug screening, hoping the coke is out of his system.

Oh Captainmal, you need a test drive. The thing has torque, with plenty to go around. The management works pretty hard to hold it all back. I was at 72mph on the highway and sitting at 3psi of boost. All motor.
Funny but I think of who had the thing before me each time I see a "used" vehicle'. You description is creative and understandable. some people are not competent to be in control of a Chia Pet. That goes for many parents too.

I had a Cummins for near a 1/4 million miles. Before that a Duramax for near 150K. They are much higher than the little 1500's. Way beefier in construction also. No comparison. Back when I had them I was also younger and more agile. Immediately you add running boards to help with the climb. Even with them on my last Cummins, I tore off that handle at the front of the drivers' door. It is cheap plastic crap inside that outer housing and I pulled so hard getting in over the years I literally tore it apart. Did feel like the jerk I am crawling up into the cab at that dealership. Did not watch the wife crawling in as she would not appreciate my eyes or comments.

One look on Fuelly will shot that the 2018 and 2019 2500 Cummins Rams suck for fuel mileage. 16-18 overall averages is hideous, especially in light of recent fuel tax increases. You can coat 21mpg or slightly more out of one if you operate under ideal conditions. Who does that in normal operation?

Sure they have torque. Very useful pulling my little toy hauler when it's loaded with motorcycles. That is usually only a month or so each year. The rest of the time I pull a small trailer with quads in it that is under 2K lbs. Add on all the normal running and it is not hard to realize I have no serious use for another 2500. Just wish they little 3.0 L diesel engines were built for a longer design life. That one video where the GM engineer laughed when asked why his new 3.0L engine was built for 150,000 miles and not 300,000 miles like a Cummins is fresh in my mind.

Gotta forget that and with age, my mind is starting to cooperate.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Used vehicle history is always a big if.. I hit it right 13 years ago when I bought my Trailblazer used. Everything after that was new. Its just too big of an investment to risk, especially hauling my most important cargo, my family. Up in these parts, we are in the oil patch. Plenty of kids running around with jacked up diesel trucks and running them hard before the bank takes them back or some meth head steals it and ends up ramming police cars. Diesel trucks are just too expensive to fix.

You have a few more years under your belt than I but my time will come when I have to be more cognizant of vehicle entry, ride and what not. I was looking at the numbers last oil change, my truck has just over 73,000km and I think 28K towing. A majority of that could have been done with my old 1500 but the small percentage that couldn't, I can justify the ownership of my 3500. The cost to hire out or make smaller, lighter trips would easily cause the costs to supersede owning my 3500. For instance, gas and diesel in these parts is pretty similar in cost, a few cents per litre different. On less diesel I can move twice the weight at higher speeds with greater safety.

Also, part of the reason for my choice in truck is long term ownership. I was raised in a family that kept and maintained their vehicles until the point is reached where walking is a better option..... well close. The HD trucks run a very stout chassis, proven axles that are heavy but easy to maintain and work on. The engine is known to last with basic maintenance and relatively easy to work on, especially compared with the Dmax and PS. I hope to run this truck well into my retirement. It looks like your 3.0 has (knocks on wood) beaten the small odds of the bottom end grenading and with GDE tune, your top end should be nice and happy. I doubt you are the kind (stereotyping now... or is it called being accurate?) that does not beat on your vehicles, the chassis/drivetrain is probably is great shape and wouldn't second guess the long term ownership of your current rig. Up here, vehicles long rot away before they have engine related trouble.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Do take my Ecodiesel off road while hunting in Georgia. Two-track dirt with weeds, puddles, holes, rocks etc. I go slow. Also have had it on the Wyoming two-tracks slogging along in 4 x 4 to set up and hunt prairie dogs. Just my careful off-road can be rough on the vehicle. Once I punched a hole in the rear fender when I got my quad trailer backed too hard into some trees, jackknifing it in reverse in the dark and fog. If you use it things will happen.

Now Florida/Georgia does not have the ice, snow, slush, salt and misery conditions you have in the north. People come here to buy Florida cars. Decades can go by and the undercarriage of vehicles here can sure look like new. You are smart enough to know what some people do to their vehicles. The poor little rich boy" living across from me is now starting his first year of college. So far he has slid a new Mustang into a curb showing off, smashing both wheels and axles sideways. His replacement Saleen Mustang somehow got heavily modified with loud exhaust, wheels and tires and then modified by a tree on the side. Don't know the details. His daddy then bought him another new Mustang which I hear loudly each time he peels out after remotely opening the property gate. All this in just the past two years. He has not wrecked his new "crotch rocket" motorcycle ... yet.

Only a fool would want to buy what he has misused. It's a great country when you can have all the things we have, destroy them and get more. The car makers love it too.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
To daily drive a HD is a bit of a task, not to mention the ride height. You really need to work it hard in order for it to be viable and worth the compromise in fuel and ride. Stop and go my truck has atrocious fuel economy, flat highway on summer fuel it can get around the 18 to 19. I think I was around the 8 to 10 mark at 33,000lb combined weight on flat highway. Its a trade off. We had looked at used but the resale coupled with the interest rate was not worth it. At the end of the day you were going to pay X amount for both and with new you are guaranteed to not have that some patch trash, entitled white kid with a flat brimmed Monster Energy hat, wearing white Spy sunglasses, Metal Mulisha shirt and a key lanyard hanging out of his pre-ripped jeans destroy the motor using a canned rolling coal tune so that he could race up to his camp job in Fort Mcmurray prior to the drug screening, hoping the coke is out of his system.

That made me LOL and I feel the exact same way

1 - 20 of 31 Posts