RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I recently purchased a 1500 EcoDiesel. So far really liking the truck but I have noticed one little mechanical issue that I am unsure of. I have about 175km on the truck but I'm noticing a delay in shifting (mainly up a gear) and it occasionally clunks into second off of a stop. This is usually if I give it 35 - 50% throttle. After one stop I put it in tow/haul mode to see how it would react to 75% throttle. Everything seemed to disengage correctly, the engine started to rev up to ~3,500 while the trans was disengaged, it then took about .5 - 1 full second to re-engage. I did want to note that this is when the truck is warm and cold, this is also only at slow speeds and once past ~50km/h and past maybe 2nd or 3rd gear it is no issue. I have herd that the 8 speed tans is a learning transmission so I was wondering if this is something that many experience and has not been an issue or if I should stop driving it until the dealer reopens after Christmas. All answers are very appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,624 Posts
With that few of miles on the truck, the transmission is still learning your driving style. Just drive the truck like normal, don't baby it or beat on it. The 8HP70 is probably one of the best transmissions available nowadays and there is very few problems with them. Sometimes you might get a delayed 1-2 upshift the first time of the day but it will shift smooth after that.
If the trans is delaying every time it goes to shift from 1-2 there probably is a problem and most likely the dealer's first "repair" will be a valve body assembly replacement if they don't just try to "update the software".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With that few of miles on the truck, the transmission is still learning your driving style. Just drive the truck like normal, don't baby it or beat on it. The 8HP70 is probably one of the best transmissions available nowadays and there is very few problems with them. Sometimes you might get a delayed 1-2 upshift the first time of the day but it will shift smooth after that.
If the trans is delaying every time it goes to shift from 1-2 there probably is a problem and most likely the dealer's first "repair" will be a valve body assembly replacement if they don't just try to "update the software".
Thank you, as I drove it around a bit more today I noticed it was less and less of a lag. Wanted to make sure this was not an uncommon occurrence and a possible large failure of a mechanical component to ensure if it was I stopped driving immediately.

Thanks once again

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Let me also guess. It's FREEZING, up where you are in Canada. Yet to have any auto box that doesn't shift poorly when when it's fluid is frozen as happens that first start of the day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope not freezing. at night we get about 2 Celsius (35.6 Fahrenheit). During the day its ~ 10 - 15 (50 - 60). I've let the engine oil, coolant, and trans oil warm up to their respective operating temperatures before running the truck. If you would like to see the temperatures yourself I am located around Victoria BC on the southern tip of Vancouver Island just off the coast the Vancouver and Washington/Olympic mountain range. Haven't even had snow here since 2017 sad to say

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought an 2018 last year and the first 500 miles or so the transmission was shifting hard, after that it became smooth as silk. Needs to learn your driving style.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Had no idea things are that mild on the West Coast.
As others have said, it will learn your driving style. Wife’s truck hates me every time I drive it. Until I’ve put a few miles on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took this to the dealer last week they are replacing the valve body assembly and going to be giving it back. They have yet to explain their diagnostic process other than that they spoke with Chrysler engineering and they have instructed them to perform this repair. Quite frustrated that this is an issue on a brand new truck and now my transmission will be opened up and put back together no longer making it a "new" trans. Have been looking into this alot more recently and have found a couple other with similar issues. Some have had their trans replaces and entire drive line replaced. Some have had the valve body replaced and everything works fine from there. Starting to loose my confidence in the product and the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,624 Posts
Took this to the dealer last week they are replacing the valve body assembly and going to be giving it back. They have yet to explain their diagnostic process other than that they spoke with Chrysler engineering and they have instructed them to perform this repair. Quite frustrated that this is an issue on a brand new truck and now my transmission will be opened up and put back together no longer making it a "new" trans. Have been looking into this alot more recently and have found a couple other with similar issues. Some have had their trans replaces and entire drive line replaced. Some have had the valve body replaced and everything works fine from there. Starting to loose my confidence in the product and the dealer.
Your one of the few that have had issues with these transmissions, it's probably one of the best components of any Ram truck.
As far as replacing the valve body, it also is the TCM (Transmission Control Module). Chances are when the tech plugged in, they were able to see something with the log file which prompted them to send it to FCA. The fact your dealer didn't tell you NTF several times before before doing something is a bonus. I have yet to hear of a dealer doing anything other than valve body, TMU and complete replacements of these transmissions. The dealers don't mess around with the internals like transmissions of the past. I wouldn't lose any sleep over thinking your transmission isn't "new" anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts