RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck has 7k miles on it. This incident has occurred twice. Once a month ago. Once yesterday.
Around 15 seconds after starting the truck and putting the truck into gear (with the knob) the vehicle turns off. There are no engine sounds; it is as if I turned the key off. I coast to the side of the road (with power steering and brakes) and the gear shift knob lights are all lit. I am unable to switch key to the off position(stuck in accessory). Key fob is stuck in ignition. Around 30-45 seconds all accessory power shuts off ( radio, a/c, windows). When I open the door all the lights come on.
The first and second time I was able to temporarily mask the issue by unplugging battery and letting truck reset. After reset I’m not hearing any mechanical or transmission noise out of the ordinary. Although when the truck is turned off under normal conditions I have heard a slight clicking sound (rapid switch like) coming from somewhere near the fuse box. Not sure if that is relevant.

I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday. It’s still under warranty but it’s a problem that I can’t really replicate so I’m unsure of what they’ll say.

after a quick search here I found this thread Engine shut off while driving, would not restart
Symptoms look the same but he was not able to get the truck to turn back on. That truck also had 10x the miles on it and was an older model.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
596 Posts
It seems like it could be a large number of things, hopefully the dealer thoroughly looks the truck over..

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Crawl under your truck... check the large white plug on the inside of the driver side frame rail and make sure its fully seated. Then go to the battery, there is a little wire/plug on the positive harness. Start the truck then jiggle it. if the truck stops, you know what the issue is.

report back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crawl under your truck... check the large white plug on the inside of the driver side frame rail and make sure its fully seated. Then go to the battery, there is a little wire/plug on the positive harness. Start the truck then jiggle it. if the truck stops, you know what the issue is.

report back.
Thanks for the response... so I just got the truck back from the dealer. Everything was covered under warranty. In short they replaced the ignition switch(P/N 68271986AC). I will post back here if I have any other issues related to use this.

Here is what was on invoice.
Caused by:
Code:
~~~~~~~~~~
U103C-00 KIN/IGNM COMMUNICATION
B1A7B-00 IMMOBILIZER ANTENNA (KIN/IGNM)
IGNM GOING OFFLINE
CORRECTED BY 08804511: (T4)
~~~~~~~~~~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts