RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time owning an eco-diesel. I’m towing a travel trailer at 5800 pounds. I’m going up hills while towing temperature on my truck rises to more than 3/4. Is this normal?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Guessing this is a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic, not the new body style, correct? If so, sadly yes, the cooling arrangement of the radiator, intercooler, etc is less than ideal with not much in the way of fixes available. However, the good news is that there TONS of guys towing more weight through mountains and, while they have the same issues, there really is no damage done so long as you keep your revs at around 3K and take it easy. More good news is this is, in my opinion, the only weakness of towing with an ecodiesel.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,582 Posts
^^ what he said if this is a '19 Classic
When towing on the heavy side it's normal to see coolant temps in the 220° range and oil temps in the 230°-250°F range. The transmission usually won't stray too much above 200°F, if it starts spiking above the coolant temp there is a problem most likely with the TMU.
There have been lots of miles towed by members on this forum within those ranges, the trucks are still rolling down the road.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
992 Posts
It is my opinion towing and the extra heat is good for your engine.

Keeps the gunk out.

Just ask Verndiesel and his 600,000 plus miles Ecodiesel! He tows RV TT for a living. I believe he is on his second engine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Watching this is good truck practice. I agree it's good for the truck getting to those temps.

Unless you get a warning light. I'd suggest not watching the temp. Keeping such a overreaching attention doesn't help.

I'm saying keep an eye on it, but switch your dash display to not focus on the temp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts