Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bearings still a problem apparently. Last comment posted by op

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
2019's do not have the latest engine. For the most part it's the same as the 2014-2018's. The generation 3 starts in 2020.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Also, the 2019 engines are still Gen2's, so this wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2019's do not have the latest engine. For the most part it's the same as the 2014-2018's. The generation 3 starts in 2020.
I know, 1300 miles seems pretty early. I know some went at 3k or 4k.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,349 Posts
Bearings still a problem apparently.
any engine that pukes with that few miles is an assembly issue. The number of reported failures have dropped dramatically since the early models. I don't think the bearings are any more of a problem than the lifters and cams are in the Hemi.
With all the reports of bad oil changes early on, you have to wonder how many of the early failures were dealer induced.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any engine that pukes with that few miles is an assembly issue. The number of reported failures have dropped dramatically since the early models. I don't think the bearings are any more of a problem than the lifters and cams are in the Hemi.
With all the reports of bad oil changes early on, you have to wonder how many of the early failures were dealer induced.
I agree. If oil changes are an issue my 2017 will never fail lol. It's got a little over 20k now.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I agree with this. I haven't seen a bearing failure since joining the fourm. Lately its all been EGR and fire doom and gloom. :) But I can't recall a bearing failure recently.

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
If oil changes are an issue my 2017 will never fail lol. It's got a little over 20k now.
If memory serves me correctly, the 20K mark was usually on the higher end of the early failures of the engines.

Let's not forget about the valve timing, that was supposed to be a problem causing engines to drop like flies...only a couple have ever been reported. The CP4 HPFP was supposed to grenade like crazy, yet again a few reported. One of my favorite is how the turbos won't make 100K miles, yet there have been many reported well over that mark without issue.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If memory serves me correctly, the 20K mark was usually on the higher end of the early failures of the engines.

Let's not forget about the valve timing, that was supposed to be a problem causing engines to drop like flies...only a couple have ever been reported. The CP4 HPFP was supposed to grenade like crazy, yet again a few reported. One of my favorite is how the turbos won't make 100K miles, yet there have been many reported well over that mark without issue.
All of those should rarely/never be a problem, yet the engine is less reliable than almost any 2014 and up engine out there. Hopefully the 2020 is fixed but I just found out they went to 8.5 quarts while going to 12k towing. Seems like a bad idea to me

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
All of those should rarely/never be a problem, yet the engine is less reliable than almost any 2014 and up engine out there. Hopefully the 2020 is fixed but I just found out they went to 8.5 quarts while going to 12k towing. Seems like a bad idea to me
There was several things that were contributing to the failures of the early engines, part of which was rushing production too fast with probably letting through less than optimal quality control. Another baffling thing was the number of repeat failures by a couple, that seems like lighting striking the same place twice. Makes you wonder how the engine was being treated, diesels don't tolerate the same abuse a gasser does.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee had the same oil capacity. I don't think the extra weight will be a problem. According to the payload police on forums, you shouldn't be towing anything more than a wave runner behind a half ton.. LOL!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was several things that were contributing to the failures of the early engines, part of which was rushing production too fast with probably letting through less than optimal quality control. Another baffling thing was the number of repeat failures by a couple, that seems like lighting striking the same place twice. Makes you wonder how the engine was being treated, diesels don't tolerate the same abuse a gasser does.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee had the same oil capacity. I don't think the extra weight will be a problem. According to the payload police on forums, you shouldn't be towing anything more than a wave runner behind a half ton.. LOL!
Il be honest, I hooked 12k to mine after installing the factory trailer brake to test it. Stops it great, would never say it pulled it ok.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yep, I imagine many crankcases were mistakenly filled with Pentastar oil specs. I don't trust anyone but me to fill the crankcase.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, I imagine many crankcases were mistakenly filled with Pentastar oil specs. I don't trust anyone but me to fill the crankcase.
Even in 2019 with the tsb many years before? I dont think oil has anything to do with. I would say the 10k interval might but at 1300 miles that's not a factor

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Yeah - I thought you posted those requests to keep quiet or lose money.

Just a strange way to do things that "tricked" me. Unfortunately you still have the issue so keep us informed into the future.

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
with the number of early failures reported that mention they had recently had an oil change done within several thousand miles, it does make one wonder if the crankcase was filled with 5W-20 gasser oil. There were reports of trucks leaving dealerships short on oil too, like they poured in a fixed amount.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts