RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All. I just purchased my first Ram Ecodiesel. I fell head over heels in love with her. Three weeks into owning her, my check engine light came on, accompanied by the glow plug light and had to take her into the dealer. She has now be in the shop for 2 weeks and all the shop is able to tell me is that glow plug 5 and the glow plug controller are throwing errors that have required support from "Ram Techline". Waiting to get her back is killing me, has anyone else experienced this issue?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Sorry to read this...please update when resolved and curious the cost and procedure. Glad it's warrantied.

They are a booger to get out in the prior engine, my 16' pops P06BC daily for the last 15b months. Clear the code myself after engine temp +150* enabling 'remote start' to function... No warranty so it works for me.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,418 Posts
What makes things more interesting with the glow plugs in the Gen3 EcoD engine, if I remember correctly it is also a cylinder pressure sensor. It measures combustion pressure and utilize that to optimize fuel and air delivery.
Please keep us updated on the those resolution and outcome as it may help future EcoD owners.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the late reply. My truck ended up being in the dealer for 14 days straight. Codes were P06BD-00 AND P06750-00. Which is Cylinder 5 Glow Plug Circuit Performance and Cylinder 5 Glow Plug Circuit Open respectively. It was a week for my dealer to diagnose this with STAR and a week to receive/install the part. I took my truck in on 4/29/20 with 1373 miles on it and picked her back up on 5/12/20. Once I got it back, everything seemed to be fine. Then on 6/18 with only 3247 miles on it, the same code started flashing again. Check engine light solid, glow plug warning light flashing for 1-2 minutes and voltage warning light flashing for 1-2 minutes. My truck would struggle to start, as in I would depress the brake, press the push button start, electronics would fire up but the engine would fire. It would take multiple tries of cycling the pushbutton start to off, back to run with no engine fire and again, until it would finally fire up. I got my truck back into the shop on 6/22 and it is still currently in the shop, same codes as before. Glow plug cylinder 5. I hope to God that they are able to remedy it. Has anyone else had any similar issue with the Gen 3 EcoDiesel?

·
Registered
2020 ED 3.92 33gal
83 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. My truck ended up being in the dealer for 14 days straight. Codes were P06BD-00 AND P06750-00. Which is Cylinder 5 Glow Plug Circuit Performance and Cylinder 5 Glow Plug Circuit Open respectively. It was a week for my dealer to diagnose this with STAR and a week to receive/install the part. I took my truck in on 4/29/20 with 1373 miles on it and picked her back up on 5/12/20. Once I got it back, everything seemed to be fine. Then on 6/18 with only 3247 miles on it, the same code started flashing again. Check engine light solid, glow plug warning light flashing for 1-2 minutes and voltage warning light flashing for 1-2 minutes. My truck would struggle to start, as in I would depress the brake, press the push button start, electronics would fire up but the engine would fire. It would take multiple tries of cycling the pushbutton start to off, back to run with no engine fire and again, until it would finally fire up. I got my truck back into the shop on 6/22 and it is still currently in the shop, same codes as before. Glow plug cylinder 5. I hope to God that they are able to remedy it. Has anyone else had any similar issue with the Gen 3 EcoDiesel?
No issues here, I’m sure they will get it fixed!!👍👍

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
No. That's the answer to your repeated question on others having the same issue.

Start thinking about some kind Lemon Law action as you are now two times down on this. Third time is a charm. Keep all your information provided by the dealer. Hope they are giving you a reasonable loaner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No. That's the answer to your repeated question on others having the same issue.

Start thinking about some kind Lemon Law action as you are now two times down on this. Third time is a charm. Keep all your information provided by the dealer. Hope they are giving you a reasonable loaner.
I wish they did have me in a decent loaner, but I am in a 2016 Dart. I am not a small guy either. I've already spoken with a law firm about collecting information and have a letter drafted to send to Ram as soon as I've met the criteria.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hrmmm you have a brand new Gen 3 EcoDiesel and they gave you a used Dodge Dart for a major job that they didn't fix the first time? That's no good for a warranty job they should give you a new demo half ton. Good luck with the glow plugs, they were not a common problem on Gen 2, you must have had some kind of defect from the factory. It happens with all brands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts