Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 11.5%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance for the elementary questions. First post.

I‘m looking into tuning my 2020 Ecodiesel and have been reading old posts. Needless to say “Tuner Wars” was lengthy. This isn’t my first diesel, I have 325,000 miles on my “tuned” 1999 5.9L Cummins Dodge. This is my first Ecodiesel and I’m unfamiliar with the process for a 2020. Lots of good information in old posts, but also a lot of old opinions that may be out of date.

I’ve attempted to contact some of the “tuners” without much luck. Evidently, I’m not up to speed enough to understand the language and they don’t have time to “educate“.

Dirty Diesel (dealer) has been the most helpful.

What is the “process”? I’m just not understanding what exactly needs to happen. The PCM on a 2020 is locked and needs to be sent to someone to unlock it? Are there tuners that do this automatically? Are all tuners different? Any help here greatly appreciated.

I think I would like to use a tune that turns the EGR off completely, but leave the parts on the truck for now. At only 32,000 miles my intake manifold is filthy dirty. I’m concerned about longevity.
I would like to be able to select different power levels, but this will be my daily driver.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or descriptions of the procedures needed to accomplish my goals.

Thank you in advance for your opinion on which system or tune to use.

·
Vendor
1,498 Posts
Turning off the egr will not improve the longevity. Feel free to call us at 248-977-9531 if you want to learn more about our tuning. We standout with the best fuel economy and best performance along with the cleanest engine oil. We do not turn off egr (you have two egr systems on this truck), GDE uses more 'low pressure' egr that pulls from after dpf, then no soot enters the engine with this. Cleaner engine oil is good for longevity, this is accomplished by modifying the pilot, main and post injection events.

·
Registered
576 Posts

I‘m looking into tuning my 2020 Ecodiesel and have been reading old posts. Needless to say “Tuner Wars” was lengthy. This isn’t my first diesel, I have 325,000 miles on my “tuned” 1999 5.9L Cummins Dodge. This is my first Ecodiesel and I’m unfamiliar with the process for a 2020. Lots of good information in old posts, but also a lot of old opinions that may be out of date.

I’ve attempted to contact some of the “tuners” without much luck. Evidently, I’m not up to speed enough to understand the language and they don’t have time to “educate“.

What is the “process”? I’m just not understanding what exactly needs to happen. The PCM on a 2020 is locked and needs to be sent to someone to unlock it? Are there tuners that do this automatically? Are all tuners different? Any help here greatly appreciated.

I think I would like to use a tune that turns the EGR off completely, but leave the parts on the truck for now. At only 32,000 miles my intake manifold is filthy dirty. I’m concerned about longevity.
I would like to be able to select different power levels, but this will be my daily driver.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or descriptions of the procedures needed to accomplish my goals.

Yeah on these modern Rams there isn't a handheld tuner yet. So you will physically remove the PCM and send it off to be tuned by the pros who offer this service. GDE who already commented is going to be your best option, as their tunes are EPA legal so you have nothing to worry about. Another option is to purchase a new PCM and have that one 'cloned' so it can run your truck exactly like the existing one, then send the existing one off to be tuned. That way you have a spare in case something goes wrong with the tune, or in case you need to take the truck to the dealer for major service.

Reactions: Roby and Geico

·
Registered
3 Posts

Following your post… I’m about the same .. 2020 ram and looking to full delete or do the GDE. The process is what I’m trying to sort out at the moment. My truck is currently in the shop having some body work done… ideally I’d like to knock this all out while the truck is already sitting… but turn around times, sending stuff off / being returned, and installation seem to be my main concerns. Because my truck is basically my office.

looking like reckless or GDE tuning But I’m still unsure lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Following your post… I’m about the same .. 2020 ram and looking to full delete or do the GDE. The process is what I’m trying to sort out at the moment. My truck is currently in the shop having some body work done… ideally I’d like to knock this all out while the truck is already sitting… but turn around times, sending stuff off / being returned, and installation seem to be my main concerns. Because my truck is basically my office.

I get it. It’s very confusing, and being the “FNG” (friggin new guy) doesn’t help where there is a lot of history. It’s easy to step on the old timers toes. I’m just trying to learn, not piss anyone off.
I’m leaning toward GDE. Very informative and accommodating on the phone. Others dont want to talk, emails only, which is fine, but they only answer them once in a while. I get it, they are busy, good for them. Before I modify a $60k truck and potentially throw away the factory warranty I would like to know what I’m doing and who I’m dealing with. So far GDE is ahead as they are EPA compliant. That may become a big deal in the future. JMHO.

How many miles on your truck?
Why is it in the shop? Codes?

I picked up the P026C Injectors not working as expected. (Something like that) In doing my reasearch I pulled the inner cooler tube and found oil. Then I cleaned the EGR cross over tube and MAP sensor. Not good, horribly filthy and sooted up. That lead me to here and looking for a solution to keep the engine going for a long time.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,288 Posts
You want to think this one through before you choose Reckless Randy. I think I have read or heard of one good experience from one of his customers. But even the validity of that reference was being questioned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I get it. It’s very confusing, and being the “FNG” (friggin new guy) doesn’t help where there is a lot of history. It’s easy to step on the old timers toes. I’m just trying to learn, not piss anyone off.
I’m leaning toward GDE. Very informative and accommodating on the phone. Others dont want to talk, emails only, which is fine, but they only answer them once in a while. I get it, they are busy, good for them. Before I modify a $60k truck and potentially throw away the factory warranty I would like to know what I’m doing and who I’m dealing with. So far GDE is ahead as they are EPA compliant. That may become a big deal in the future. JMHO.

How many miles on your truck?
Why is it in the shop? Codes?

I picked up the P026C Injectors not working as expected. (Something like that) In doing my reasearch I pulled the inner cooler tube and found oil. Then I cleaned the EGR cross over tube and MAP sensor. Not good, horribly filthy and sooted up. That lead me to here and looking for a solution to keep the engine going for a long time.
102k miles.. I like the truck alright. Basically just not going to drop money on a new ride in this market. So I started looking for options to relieve my itch.
DPF sensor? Has been replaced last January.. and the engine light for that code’s been on steady since then, I don’t have time to let my ride sit in a dealership while they make up excuses. So I haven’t messed with it again -

anyway leaning GDE it seems.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
465 Posts
I have been on this forum for a number of years and can tell anyone looking for a tune the general consensus is going to be
the current EPA compliant GDE tune. It is very popular but there are a lot of folks running MRT that seem to be very satisfied.
SKT was quite popular in the past but it seems they might not do their own tuning and rely on an outside source and their customer service has suffered recently.
Reckless motorsports does not have a good reputation here and there have been many complaints on the tune AND the service.

The safe money, if you are concerned with performance, support, and customer service is to pony up, pay the price and be patient enough to get the job done right by a reputable tuner.

Reactions: Geico

·
Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
215 Posts
Glad you swung thru for that 👍
Welcome(y) and :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: He is actually trying to help, BTW, I have a tune (none of the ones mentioned above) and the ONLY people/company I would recommend would be GDE, EOC and there are reasons, read too many horror stories regarding other tuners/tunes, if I were having problems with my exhaust components falling off or rusting out I'd be looking to EOC, if your exhaust is in good shape and you want to keep it that way GDE is the route to go

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,288 Posts
Tough, nasty crowd here I guess.
Not really. A guy comes on here looking for advice and opinions.
If it were me I'd want the un-sugar coated truth. It could save alot of hassle and money wasted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Geico - Did you by chance take any pics of your filthy intake? Just curious what it looks like as I am nearing 30k with my 2020. Thanks.
Yes, I did!
Geico - Did you by chance take any pics of your filthy intake? Just curious what it looks like as I am nearing 30k with my 2020. Thanks.
Yes, but I’m not smart enough to know how to post them from my phone. 🤦‍♀️
Trust me, you are going to want to do a tune. GDE is ahead in the polls. 😉

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Trust me, you are going to want to do a tune. GDE is ahead in the polls. 😉
There is only one pole that matters. It's 10 feet long and you wouldn't want to touch Reckless Randy with it!!!

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
465 Posts
Reactions: 97hmcs
1 - 20 of 53 Posts