• Reckless Motor Sports

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 11.5%
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry in advance for the elementary questions. First post.

I‘m looking into tuning my 2020 Ecodiesel and have been reading old posts. Needless to say “Tuner Wars” was lengthy. This isn’t my first diesel, I have 325,000 miles on my “tuned” 1999 5.9L Cummins Dodge. This is my first Ecodiesel and I’m unfamiliar with the process for a 2020. Lots of good information in old posts, but also a lot of old opinions that may be out of date.

I’ve attempted to contact some of the “tuners” without much luck. Evidently, I’m not up to speed enough to understand the language and they don’t have time to “educate“.

Dirty Diesel (dealer) has been the most helpful.

What is the “process”? I’m just not understanding what exactly needs to happen. The PCM on a 2020 is locked and needs to be sent to someone to unlock it? Are there tuners that do this automatically? Are all tuners different? Any help here greatly appreciated.

I think I would like to use a tune that turns the EGR off completely, but leave the parts on the truck for now. At only 32,000 miles my intake manifold is filthy dirty. I’m concerned about longevity.
I would like to be able to select different power levels, but this will be my daily driver.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or descriptions of the procedures needed to accomplish my goals.

Thank you in advance for your opinion on which system or tune to use.
go Mann provent 200 first, then go GDE tune when you got the new baby, only the price of the GDE.......

·
Registered
45 Posts
I promise you will surprise it, and probably there is half quart oil stored in your intercooler.
Just popped my intercooler hose off on my 2020. Sure enough, some oil residue. I don't experience any noticeable oil consumption, but there is probably some oil collecting somewhere over time. I popped off the hose on my 12 valve and it was dry.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just popped my intercooler hose off on my 2020. Sure enough, some oil residue. I don't experience any noticeable oil consumption, but there is probably some oil collecting somewhere over time. I popped off the hose on my 12 valve and it was dry.
My 2020 is the same with oil in the innercooler, and my ‘99 is dry also. Lots of oil collects in the inner cooler tube coming off the turbo. There is a metal portion with ”baffles” in it that collects lot of oil. My Eco engine doesn’t appear to consume oil either. I guess the oil may pick up some fuel to make up the difference? Not uncommon in diesels.
Make sure your oil level is not over filled. It is very easy to do changing the oil. It take 30+ mins for the oil to completely drain into the pan. Try checking your oil after driving, then check it the next morning. You’d be amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
The oil is crankcase vapors which is going through the ccv aka closed crankcase ventilation system. Its not actual engine oil and your 12 valve routed crankcases gasses to atmosphere not to the intake. Its normal on all diesels that use a ccv instead of a pcv aka positive crankcase ventilation system. Using a catch can well help keep most of it out of the intake but some well still get past. All engines ingest vapor and moisture that get into the engine and it has to go somewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes, it will not cause oil consumption, that's oil gasses, vapor, and exhaust gasses mixed together, then condensate in the intercooler, thanks for the EPA compliant laws.

that's why the intake component full of the gunk, oil meet soot, if only have one of them, it's fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
No, you only can do is disassemble between turbo and intake valves ( pipes, intercooler, throttle body, intake manifold, EGR tube which connected with throttle body ) then clean up it with gasoline or some organic solvent
The dealer told me BG is working on a chemical flush in place, but I’m with you. To flush in place means there is a valve open in one or more of the cylinders. That would be a problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dealer told me BG is working on a chemical flush in place, but I’m with you. To flush in place means there is a valve open in one or more of the cylinders. That would be a problem.
Absolutely, some of gunk will clog the piston ring and the chemical fluid will destroy the oil, that's the disaster of your engine

·
Registered
10 Posts
With this being my only tagged vehicle, I really wish there was a remote service or handheld for GDE tuning since I can’t have the downtime. I’ve put in an order for a spare pcm and was going to try to get it cloned locally, but there’s still no eta on it after 4 months of waiting.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah I’ve never understood why there isn’t a handheld device for loading these tunes. Z Automotive tunes through the OBD port with their “TaZer” programmer for modifying all of the settings on the vehicle. Why can’t GDE? Or any other company?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
With this being my only tagged vehicle, I really wish there was a remote service or handheld for GDE tuning since I can’t have the downtime. I’ve put in an order for a spare pcm and was going to try to get it cloned locally, but there’s still no eta on it after 4 months of waiting.
Depending on where you live GDE will do the install while you wait.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Yeah I’ve never understood why there isn’t a handheld device for loading these tunes. Z Automotive tunes through the OBD port with their “TaZer” programmer for modifying all of the settings on the vehicle. Why can’t GDE? Or any other company?
I was told they need to open up the box.

UPDATE: The box does not need to be opened. I physically took my PCM to GDE and they didn’t open it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
From what I understand the box needs to physically be opened due to security measures.
As in the PCM? Mine never got opened. It was simply plug and play on the security bypass module under the dash, then program the PCM via plug and play hardware/software. Not a single screw was turned.

Also note that the PCM is the same between Jeep and Ram. Same part # and everything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
As in the PCM? Mine never got opened. It was simply plug and play on the security bypass module under the dash, then program the PCM via plug and play hardware/software. Not a single screw was turned.

Also note that the PCM is the same between Jeep and Ram. Same part # and everything.
I stand corrected. They do not open the box.
I watched mine get updated at the shop and they did not open it. I can only assume they don’t want to send the file without some security. I think tuning companies are very concerned about that. JMHO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Following your post… I’m about the same .. 2020 ram and looking to full delete or do the GDE. The process is what I’m trying to sort out at the moment. My truck is currently in the shop having some body work done… ideally I’d like to knock this all out while the truck is already sitting… but turn around times, sending stuff off / being returned, and installation seem to be my main concerns. Because my truck is basically my office. looking like reckless or GDE tuning But I’m still unsure lol.
I have GDE tune on 2021 the best thing about the tune is you can see when it goes into regeneration. My truck has been going about a 1000 miles between regeneration I have not seen a tremendous difference in mileage but I baby the truck and get close to 30 mpg with 3.91 rear end

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
BG already has a treatment that is used in the intake while the engine is running. There are dealers who've been doing the BG treatment on the 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel for many years now.

Reactions: Geico

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Yeah I’ve never understood why there isn’t a handheld device for loading these tunes.
GDE would offer a handheld device if it were available for the 3rd gen truck. It took years before he was able to finally offer the handheld flash tool for the 2014- 2019 trucks. I have the GDE EPA Complaint Tune for my 2015, which comes with the handheld device. I'm wanting to get the GDE tune for my 2020 as well, but I'm waiting to see if the handheld device is eventually released.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts