RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very cool...makes me sad that the boys over at GDE won't get a crack at this one, but such is life.....Vern...Capt....what say you boys, looking forward to your thoughts.....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Interesting, a bit less than the Chevy rating. TFL Truck web site posted a video of their test of a 2020 tradesman trim eco diesel, towing & empty getting 12.6 towing and 40 empty!. The towing number is less than their test result for the previous ED Ram and a lot better empty. They noted the truck was a preproduction model and that highway number was a surprise to them. I suspect they will test again with a production truck. I'd like to see the Chevy tested as well. Within the month I'll pass 200,000 miles on our 2014 ED and am starting to think about options for our next stuff hauler/puller purchase, probably sometime late next year.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
GDE might it will just be a legal government approved leave the emissions alone tune. Assuming they can still turn out a product that offers something substantially better than the factory tune. Such as the turbo brake. Why in the hell Ram would not add that feature is beyond me. Hey were the number one tower but let’s leave that valuable towing tool at home. WTH the competition has it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vern,

Yes indeed, a Turbo Brake is most certainly something I would like to have available when I get a 2020 EcoDiesel.

You would assume there's a good reason they didn't include it, but perhaps NOT.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Key word to read is “When I get a 2020...”

There is a lot of pent-up interest in the upcoming diesel. A number or two difference in fuel mileage is in reality, inconsequential. Same can be said by me on tow ratings. It is a 1500 that is small and light-duty if towing large and heavy trailers. First good side-wind will make that quite clear. What is important to knowledgeable buyers is reliability.

How the new EGR system will work without tuning is a major issue. Will companies be able to come back to do some “underground” tuning work if needed? Those two issues should hold up some buyers until they get a handle on figuring out the answers. Same can be said for those pondering the GM offering.

I made a decision that it would be a long time before I would be comfortable dealing with the new Ecodiesel. That was before the tuning crackdown. Today it would be the same decision if a buyer did not feel like waiting to know those answers. Time will tell so plan on taking time or making an alternative decision if time is not on your side. Loved my Ecodiesel. From trouble to joy thanks to GDE.

Will or can a scenario play out like that again?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts